PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest thing you have ever seen happen to a 3G Accord...

tedhodges
05-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I was going over to the autozone to buy some carb cleaner thinking maybe it will help clean up performance on my '86 Accord

I went to get gas, and it decided it didnt want to idle. I was also hearing this weird buzzing noise at about 2K RPM, and the tach started jumping around.

I thought at first that I hadn't bolted down the air box cover, and that was what the buzzing was. When I stopped in the autozone parking lot and open the hood, this is what I found: http://gallery.me.com/tedahodges#100364/IMG_0330&bgcolor=black

The ironic thing is, I just had this timing belt put on a month ago. WTF caused this?!?!?

AccordEpicenter
05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
If you installed the belt correctly Id say either loose crank pulley or loose tensioner. Both require immediate attention, dont drive until its fixed. The wierdest problem Ive ever had was a funny whining sound coming from the engine. Turns out I had 3 broken motor mounts and the bottom trans mount was mangled soo bad it was grinding on the flywheel causing it to whine a little haha

charliekuney
05-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I saw one going 80mph uphill on a freeway...on fire. Driver had no idea.

MessyHonda
05-27-2010, 11:51 PM
never go back to that shop

ShyBoyCA6
05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
holy shit.

tedhodges
05-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah it was a friend of mine who did the work. He's having hard times so I thought I'd give him some work. He's been working on Honda's for 25 years so I thought I could trust the work, I guess not. Any of you guys live in Denver and want it, or want to sell me your Accord? I've already got $2k invested in this Accord and I can't afford to put anymore into it. I'm thinking about selling it for like $500. Problem is, I won't have a lot more money than that to put towards another one.

russiankid
05-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Why not just take the crank pulley off, remove the timing belt cover, and inspect what the issue is? Only way that could have happened is if the belt moved, which it can if the two rings on the crank where not installed. Those prevent the belt from moving to much from side to side.

accord1989
05-28-2010, 03:07 PM
just fix it

ShyBoyCA6
05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
just fix it

+1

tedhodges: go to your local junkyard and get parts from there to fix it. probably be un 200$ or less just to swap them out.