PDA

View Full Version : brake lamp light ?

accord1989
05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
out of nowhere i have this brake lamp light on the dash and hand brake light is still on even when hand brake is off ?

lostforawhile
05-27-2010, 06:49 PM
out of nowhere i have this brake lamp light on the dash and hand brake light is still on even when hand brake is off ?

one light means you have a burned out brake light bulb, the other means you have low brake fluid, the second one is the most concern, first one find the burned out bulb and replace it, the second one you need to locate the problem

itzdave
05-27-2010, 06:52 PM
check ur brake fluid, could be low...

edit: lost beat me to it, lol.

DBMaster
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I have had the float switch in the master cylinder cap go bad which caused my brake light to stay on until I replaced the cap.

lostforawhile
05-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I think he has both a brake light indicator on and a low brake fluid warning,both at once

accord1989
05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
that's weird , this morning turn the car on and the warning lights on the dash bak to normal wtf???no brake lamp light and hand brake light turns off when hand brake released !

Dr_Snooz
05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Check your fluid level anyway.

9shorty20
05-28-2010, 05:47 PM
mine did the same..turned out to be a loose wire harness....try that...wiggle the harness a bit and have someone stepping on the brakes to see if thats the prob..well first of all do your brake lights turn on??:o

rc00netzero
05-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I also had it happen - bulb was going bad and had loose filament - sometimes worked somtimes didn't. Check both stoplight bulbs for dicoloration/corrosion etc.

Layson
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
same thing happen, had low brake fluid. Took me forever to find it. I kept thinking it was a bulb...

accord1989
06-09-2010, 02:27 PM
the lights on the dashboard turn on not the outside though

rc00netzero
06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
the lights on the dashboard turn on not the outside though

OK there are 2 brake related dash lights - one is the "brake warning" lamp. It is just above the right turn indicator lamp. This lamp is normally triggered by the park brake being on, or low brake fluid level in master cylinder.

The other is in the "Safety Indicator" display - where the "door open" indicator is. It is a "Brake Lamp" failure indicator, i.e. it come on when either of the rear stop lights fails (blow bulb).

Which of these lights is stuck on in your car?

accord1989
06-10-2010, 04:25 AM
OK there are 2 brake related dash lights - one is the "brake warning" lamp. It is just above the right turn indicator lamp. This lamp is normally triggered by the park brake being on, or low brake fluid level in master cylinder.

The other is in the "Safety Indicator" display - where the "door open" indicator is. It is a "Brake Lamp" failure indicator, i.e. it come on when either of the rear stop lights fails (blow bulb).

Which of these lights is stuck on in your car?

It is the :

carotman
06-10-2010, 04:45 AM
The funny thing is that it's all well described in the owner's manual.

accord1989
06-15-2010, 03:44 AM
FIXED thanks, it was a blown bulb tail light LOL

wh1skea
12-21-2010, 11:30 AM

I hate bringing up an old thread, but figured it was better than starting a new one. The Brake Lamp indicator has come on as long as I've had my car. I've replaced all the brake lamps, they all work, but still can't get it to go out. Ideas?

lostforawhile
12-21-2010, 11:34 AM
I hate bringing up an old thread, but figured it was better than starting a new one. The Brake Lamp indicator has come on as long as I've had my car. I've replaced all the brake lamps, they all work, but still can't get it to go out. Ideas?

are they regular bulbs? the correct bulbs? installed the right way? if you install them rotated the running lamps and brake lamps will be reversed. if this isn't it, replace the brake lamp indicator box bolted to the taillight.

wh1skea
12-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I'll check that out this week some time. Thanks lost.

lostforawhile
12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll check that out this week some time. Thanks lost.

if you have LED lamps or a burned out third brake light, the indicator will be on, if it is the box i'm sure you can get one cheap on here

Layson
12-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Did you check the brake fluid?

lostforawhile
12-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Did you check the brake fluid?

brake lamp indicator not brake warning indicator, the one that tells you a bulb is burned out

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2010, 09:33 PM
What condition are your bulb sockets in?

wh1skea
12-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Not sure of the pass side one, but the driver side and 3rd light are in great condition.

Kiwi303
01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
The funny thing is that it's all well described in the owner's manual.

Only good for those whose previous owners kept the owners manual with the car... For me, I don't have a manual, since one never came with the car, and even if it did, as an Ex Japan used import it would have been in Japanese.

Thanks to a search and this thread I'll be topping up my brake fluid, I'm used to it lasting for multiple years without needing topping up on other cars, it's not quite 10 months yet since I bought the car with an empty brake fluid reservoir and it needs filling again. I guess I'll have to go look for signs of a fluid leak somewhere in the brake system.

I dug the centre console apart to check the park switch but that wasn't it.

Hazwan
01-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Its either a slow leak somewhere because you would notice your pedal getting softer or your pads are getting thin

Kiwi303
03-04-2014, 11:09 PM
yeah, slow leak, got a set of brake hoses (stainless steel braided) plus a bunch of bushes coming ex Ebay via a friend in Florida.