PDA

View Full Version : aluminum or steel?

JackTheOncelor
05-28-2010, 06:30 PM
is the head on an 88 accord lx aluminum or steel?

Vanilla Sky
05-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Aluminum. The block is iron.

stat1K
05-29-2010, 07:15 AM
cast iron.

2drSE-i
05-29-2010, 08:44 AM
The head is aluminum, the block is cast iron.

stat1K
05-29-2010, 10:08 AM
balsa wood.

lostforawhile
05-29-2010, 10:11 AM
he's probably going to try to sell it for scrap, because it has a bad transmission.
He's been offered a free one but doesn't want it. the head is made of plutonium by the way, that's what powers the flux capacitor

Vanilla Sky
05-29-2010, 11:52 AM
It's "dirty aluminum" in any matter because it has other metals attached to it. The valve seats and valve guides are brass, and the water inlet pipe is steel.

If he wants to scrap the car, whatever. It's his car, let him do what he wants with it. He can get $200 out of the car as scrap or fix it and keep driving it.

lostforawhile
05-29-2010, 12:06 PM
It's "dirty aluminum" in any matter because it has other metals attached to it. The valve seats and valve guides are brass, and the water inlet pipe is steel.

If he wants to scrap the car, whatever. It's his car, let him do what he wants with it. He can get $200 out of the car as scrap or fix it and keep driving it.

oh i know, it's aggravating when there are fewer and fewer of these cars . and someone is offering to GIVE him what he needs to fix it and yet it still gets scrapped.

Vanilla Sky
05-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey, I'm gonna be scrapping 3 this summer. Not a big deal, really.

At least with mine, all I really have left are shells. No motors, no transmissions, worn to piss suspensions, beat to death interiors, and dented sheet metal. That's what you get when you part them out. At some point, you have to get rid of what's left.

JackTheOncelor
05-29-2010, 05:15 PM
okay so the head is aluminum. so that means that liquid galss or Sodium silicate wont work on it i bealive.... isent a head job an expensive one if i new how to do it and i knew thats exactily whats wrong with it i would probably try it out cuz i love these cars. i sold the one witha bad trannie because i had to realy lol bealive me i would have took the time to do a trannie swap myself if i had the tools and the know how, but transmission work for a replacement thats like 500 bux at least. and these cars are still around where im at.. so yeah...almost 400k miles on this one and i love the 28mpg. wondering if it worth putting time into...

JackTheOncelor
05-29-2010, 05:20 PM
no one was going to give me anything i was broke and i had to sell the other car with a bad trannie so i could buy my second honda accord lx. this car had alomst 400k miles on it and is a standard i bought it for $250...i can drive it to the scrap yard and get $240...

lostforawhile
05-30-2010, 04:46 AM
no one was going to give me anything i was broke and i had to sell the other car with a bad trannie so i could buy my second honda accord lx. this car had alomst 400k miles on it and is a standard i bought it for $250...i can drive it to the scrap yard and get $240...

well at least you bought another one!! :thumbup: