PDA

View Full Version : Front-passenger brake locked up?

a20soda
05-29-2010, 06:14 AM
just change my brake pads and my driver side pad was about 60% left and my passenger side was grinding through the metal shim, and a bunch of metal pieces fell out on the ground when i went to change it. after changing the pads i noticed that the two caliper pins that move freely and let the bracket go in and out, one of them is stuck. was wondering, is this a common problem? easy fix?

a20soda
05-29-2010, 09:19 AM
lol please any ideas? lol i just sold this POS to someone for a whopping $1200 and i cant roll up with the brakes smoking. haha :P

charliekuney
05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
You should have them pick it up. Simple solution. That's how I sold my car without them knowing it overheats.

a20soda
05-29-2010, 09:36 AM
lol, i rly should, but they are in savannah a little bit away, like 30 min away and its like a 45 year old lady with no way to come get it :S she is giving me gas money too. i think im going to just like burn thru the brakes, then stop at a gas station close by, let em cool down, then drive to her :D

lostforawhile
05-29-2010, 10:08 AM
lol, i rly should, but they are in savannah a little bit away, like 30 min away and its like a 45 year old lady with no way to come get it :S she is giving me gas money too. i think im going to just like burn thru the brakes, then stop at a gas station close by, let em cool down, then drive to her :D

the caliper pins are easy to replace and you need to fix the brake problem, or tell her about it. It's not cool to sell someone a car and them not know it has bad brakes, she could get killed. I'm not sure on the law but even sold as is, I think you have to at least notify the buyer of serious safety problems.

a20soda
05-29-2010, 10:41 AM
yeah i mean the brakes work fine, but the pad is new, and the pin wont go out all the way, so until it wears down enough of the pad, it will rub all the time.

how do you recommend i take out this pin? can i jsut sand off the rust/corrosion and reuse?

lostforawhile
05-29-2010, 12:08 PM
yeah i mean the brakes work fine, but the pad is new, and the pin wont go out all the way, so until it wears down enough of the pad, it will rub all the time.

how do you recommend i take out this pin? can i jsut sand off the rust/corrosion and reuse?

maby someone on here has a spare, if you unbolt the caliper, and slide it off of the bracket, you put a wrench on the pin on it's hex and it unscrews from the caliper bracket.

Dr_Snooz
05-29-2010, 12:39 PM
It's a fairly common problem. Just use a lot of PB Blaster and twisting and prying and beating and whatever to get it apart. Throw away the old pin and swap with a decent junkyard pin. Lube the pin thoroughly with di-electric grease (or hi-temp) before installing and clean out the caliper hole as much as possible before inserting. Be sure you install the pin boot properly too so as to minimize moisture getting on the pin.

dreeeemA
06-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Check your pads for excessive wear also. Metal on metal contact will cause that or a heat cracked pad could be causing uneven pressure