PDA

View Full Version : sodiam silicate

JackTheOncelor
05-30-2010, 01:32 AM
anyone ever used it thoughs and opinions? :P used to stop leaks in blocks or heads.

LX-incredible
05-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Saves your car from the shop only to later land it in the junkyard.

Don't believe me? Next time you're at the u-pull-it find an accord with bondo, bubbling tint, and a virgin of guadalupe sticker on the back. Have a look in the radiator.

lostforawhile
05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
there is one they sell at walmart I have to look for the name, but it does work, the problem is, there is a complicated procedure you have to follow, you CANNOT mix it with antifreeze while sealing the system, this is what does the engine damage, most people don't even read the bottle, just dump it in the radiator and think it will work. you have to drain the cooling system, then flush it with water, and flush it again, etc, then you put in the sealer with water, idle the car a certain amount of time, then drain the stuff out, flush the system, and then let it air out for a couple of days. it's very complicated and takes several days, you can see why people get impatient and just dump it in thinking it will work. it says right on the bottle, will cause SEVERE engine damage if mixed with antifreeze

Vanilla Sky
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Why not just fix the issue? What's leaking?

lostforawhile
05-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Why not just fix the issue? What's leaking?

i think the main use of the sealer is to fix a head gasket or so on, until you can do a permanent repair

charliekuney
05-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Newb question: Is this "sodium silicate" stuff the same as/related to J-B Weld?

lostforawhile
05-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Newb question: Is this "sodium silicate" stuff the same as/related to J-B Weld?

no it's something that goes in the cooling system to stop leaks, the stuff I was talking about not sure what it is, but it's supposed to work, it takes a few days to do it right though.

charliekuney
05-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Wait, like "Stop Leak"? Dude, I put that in my last car before I sold it and I guess it fugged the shit out of the radiator. The guy I sold it to found my number. :(

lostforawhile
05-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Wait, like "Stop Leak"? Dude, I put that in my last car before I sold it and I guess it fugged the shit out of the radiator. The guy I sold it to found my number. :(
if you use the right stuff and follow the directions it will be fine, most people don't follow the directions.

2drSE-i
05-30-2010, 11:14 AM

I'm not trying to an asshole, but this is the second time in two days I've seen you post about selling someone a shoddy car. If your going to be a prick and not tell people about issues with the car they are buying for too high of a price to begin with, please don't post it here.

charliekuney
05-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm not trying to an asshole, but this is the second time in two days I've seen you post about selling someone a shoddy car. If your going to be a prick and not tell people about issues with the car they are buying for too high of a price to begin with, please don't post it here.

No, no, no: I told him it had a leak somewhere in the coolant system, and since I couldn't find it, I put Stop Leak in the radiator (and yes, I followed the directions). The guy called me and said there was crap leftover in the radiator and the leak came back. I didn't tell him it overheated because of the leak. That is all. $600 was pretty average for that car.

You should have them pick it up. Simple solution. That's how I sold my car without them knowing it overheats.

JackTheOncelor
05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
well if i do it im going to do it right....flush out all collent disconect heater full with silacate and water heat up to aply weld drain dry for 12 houres then new coolent.....but the thing is there is no garentee that it will fix the problem....like i said 400k miles...i also heard that this procedure will not work with aluminum heads....but i have heard mixed reactions to this :P sorry if this topic is coverd elsewhere and i apreiciate everyone who has replied thus far :P

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2010, 04:24 PM
You're going to spend a few days doing a ghetto repair? Why don't you spend a few days doing it properly?

2drSE-i
05-30-2010, 04:47 PM
No, no, no: I told him it had a leak somewhere in the coolant system, and since I couldn't find it, I put Stop Leak in the radiator (and yes, I followed the directions). The guy called me and said there was crap leftover in the radiator and the leak came back. I didn't tell him it overheated because of the leak. That is all. $600 was pretty average for that car.

ok my fault, sorry i jumped off the reservation lol

cubert
05-30-2010, 05:53 PM
You're going to spend a few days doing a ghetto repair? Why don't you spend a few days doing it properly?

400k miles.

I think that's enough of an explanation right there.

If he doesn't have to dump money into it, why would he?