PDA

View Full Version : Weird cold idle problem

SFCA1987lx
06-01-2010, 01:58 AM
So, for maybe a month or so now, most times when I start my engine, the idle will go up much higher than normal cold idle. Any where from 2500-3000 in park. If I put it in gear right away the engine jumps hard. It will also do this sometimes if I drove enough to warm the engine up then stopped for 5-10 mins and turn the engine back on. To avoid the huge jump from putting it in gear, I'll sit and let it warm and give it a little gas. If it's not ready, the idle just keeps going up, past 3000. I have to rev it hard to get it to fall back down around 2500 or so, then keep waiting. After a minute or so, when I rev it, it will fall down to 800 or so RPM. And at idle at a light, its not a steady 800 anymore, it jumps a little bit. I'm thinking the icv, but I can't find it. I'm told it should be on the intake manifold but I don't know what to look for exactly. From the bits of information I've managed to get from chilton and alldata and kragens, it either has one and its not where i think it is, or it doesnt have one. Do the lx's have one? I just need to find it and open it up and clean it out dammit. Help, any ideas on what else it might possibly be.

Oldblueaccord
06-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Your sure its not got a carb?

wp

charliekuney
06-01-2010, 08:52 AM
^ I was thinking the same thing. SFCA: You have an '87 LX sedan. The DX and LX models were carbureted, hence no fuel-injection system.

SFCA1987lx
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM
exactly, its got a carb. thats why im so confused. lol. I wasnt shure whether or not it had an icv because it was carbed. So now what?

Hauntd ca3
06-01-2010, 01:34 PM
throttle cable isnt to tight or something silly like that is it ?
should be a little slack in it so the butterfly isnt being held slightly open at idle.

greentee76
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
More than likely a high idle pull off diaphram leaking. It is on the passenger side of the carb. Mine got to where it was a bitch to get to kick down before I switched to the Weber. I believe the pull off diaphram was the culprit, although I never fixed it.

dreeeemA
06-06-2010, 10:01 PM
That does sound like a temp sensor That would definitely be a good place to start.

SFCA1987lx
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I've been sprayin all over the place with carb cleaner and havent been able to find any vacuum leaks. how would i go about checking the throttle cable and the temp sensor?