PDA

View Full Version : Knocking sound in rear end

86-lxi
06-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Ok this just started happening and its pissing my off....when i'm coming to a stop I can hear and feel an intermittent knock coming from the passenger side rear and don't know what it is.

I figure it has something to do with the drum or pads, any other ideas?

Oldblueaccord
06-01-2010, 08:32 AM
try this on the rear side you think its on:

it works on the frnt and rear wheels.

Standard front end check:

1: jack up one side of the car until one tire is off the ground. The other side tire must be on the ground. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness at the joints. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints(upper and lower) and upper links(bushings). There should be no play in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars.

wp

Nio
06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I have a annoying sound as well.

But Mines my exhaust system hitting the wishbone.

Pnem3
06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Mine started doing this a week or two ago. At first I thought it was the front brakes but now I think that it is the rear brakes. I feel a vibration in the brake pedal that goes along with the knocking sound. I'm thinking it is worn brake shoes but I won't know until I pull the wheel.

nswst8
06-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Rear upper control arm "BALLJOINT"

86-lxi
06-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Rear upper control arm "BALLJOINT"

If this is the case why doesn't it do it at higher speeds?

BTW I pulled my wheels and the brake cylinder is leaking, my dads buddy said that's the problem because it glazed the pads and now its sticking? Idk but i'll def. get it fixed.(the cylinder that is)

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2010, 06:41 PM
If it's the ball joint and it fails, the wheel will fall off the car and take lots of stuff with it when it goes. Please check it straightaway.

86-lxi
06-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Is this the ball joint you guys are talking about? I'll take a look at it today
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7620/controlarm.jpg

Oldblueaccord
06-03-2010, 06:21 AM
YES!

It will show up loose at the joint with rocking the tire off the ground at the 12 and 6 position.

Also your rear tires may appear cupped on the outside.

wp

86-lxi
06-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Well I pulled my tires again and there is a little play in the passanger side control arm so thats gonna get fixed....but I asked my local mechanic who knows what he is talking about and said the knocking is in the brakes so maybe it's the wheel cylinder doing it?

I'm gonna buy 2 new control arms just for piece of mind and let my mechanic put the wheel cylinder on, I don't want to f with anything involving brake fluid:ugh:

P.S. I did hop the curb recently maybe that put the nail in the coffin for the bushing....my tires are fairly new so I can't see any abnormal wear.

86-lxi
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Is this the ball joint you guys are talking about? I'll take a look at it today
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7620/controlarm.jpg

Will I need a puller or a press to put these in? Don't feel like taking it anywhere seems like such a simple job.

Oldblueaccord
06-04-2010, 06:12 AM
That one you have pictured is all one piece so its just a bolt and go. You have to knock the tie rod end out of the taper in the control arm with a hammer or use a pickle fork.

The other arms were talking about in the suspension section need the ball joint pressed in. Although its a very light press fit. The a snap ring holds it in place. Nice about them is the ball joint itself is replaceable and generally cheaper then the whole arm.

Just for another idea see if your sway bar is loose on its mounts on the rear if you have one. and heck make sure you spare tire is screwed in as well in the wheel well.

wp

86-lxi
06-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Haha thanks i'll check it out....I just bought 2 new arms and I should get them tomorrow, we'll see how it goes..