PDA

View Full Version : door trim removal

import racer
06-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Does anyone know how to get the black plastic trim off that goes on the edge of the door.The piece thats on the side of the door window on the front and back door.I looked in the manual and it doesn't help.

charliekuney
06-01-2010, 08:45 AM
I've been wondering the same thing, and was about to post something about it. From what I've heard, the door panels must come off (that include the rear panels from the coupe/hatch) and they get popped out that way. That's how you do it without breaking them, I think.

import racer
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah I couldn't find any screws behind the rubbers so you must have to take off the door panels.

Dr_Snooz
06-01-2010, 05:46 PM
You're talking about the trim piece on the outside of the window running along the bottom, right? On the coupes, there is a little bitty screw under the door mirror. You have to pull the mirror to get to it. No need to remove the door panel (if I'm understanding the question). Just roll down the window and pry (I use a gasket scraper) the trim piece directly up. If memory serves, the clips are steel so there's no risk of breaking them. To get the rear piece off, remove the vertical trim piece on the rear quarter window. There will be a screw under it holding on the piece. There are also about 5 little plastic clips holding it on that will all shatter when you go to remove it. Just accept it and pull it out from under the upper piece. You don't really need the clips to mount it again.

Again, that's for a coupe, but the sedan is similar I'm sure. The best way to learn how to remove trim is to go to the junkyard and break stuff until you figure out how not to break it.

charliekuney
06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Are you talking about 1 and 2, or 3-5 (plus a 6th piece for sedans)?

http://i48.tinypic.com/k33pev.jpg

King Peetis
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Are you talking about 1 and 2, or 3-5 (plus a 6th piece for sedans)?

http://i48.tinypic.com/k33pev.jpg

If your talking about the trim (1 and 2) on the door that makes a seal for your window, you will need to remove your side view mirror. Under it you will find a screw; remove it. If its not too much trouble for you remove the door panel, do so but you may not need too but to prevent damage its best. the inside trim is connected to the door panel so when you remove the DP the wiper trim will come off with it. At this point the outide wiper trim piece is ready to come off. Depending on your weather conditions it may be slightly difficult to remove if its rusty at all. Now heres where it gets tricky. Hopefully you can do this with hand strength but grab the trim as far back as you can and gently start pulling up. There are a series of clips that hold it in place. As you work you way forward pulling up it will become easier until it comes off. You may need to use a tool prying upward on the aft most part to get you started. Thats the best I can remember right now.

import racer
06-02-2010, 04:23 PM
No i mean the trim on the side of the door that is vertical on the front and back door where they meet.

charliekuney
06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
No i mean the trim on the side of the door that is vertical on the front and back door where they meet.

The tiny strip? There's on in that picture just to the left of the "5". They slide up and off.

import racer
06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
The pieces on the side of the door glass,they just slide up to get off is this right?

charliekuney
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
What? Take pictures, dammit! :D

dreeeemA
06-02-2010, 09:09 PM
i know that there's some plastic piece that normally holds it on from the back, so are you in essence replacing that piece with the liquid nails or just the portion that's falling off.

import racer
06-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Just wanted to take them off to paint with fusion paint because they are faded.Didn't think they were this hard to explain.The black piece on the door on the side of the window glass,that meet when the doors are closed.

import racer
06-03-2010, 08:29 AM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z304/importracer1987/k33pev.jpg The pieces in the circle.

import racer
06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Anyone.

charliekuney
06-03-2010, 03:59 PM
If I had a sedan, I'd go out and look for you. :/

lostforawhile
06-04-2010, 06:44 AM
i know that there's some plastic piece that normally holds it on from the back, so are you in essence replacing that piece with the liquid nails or just the portion that's falling off.

???

import racer
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I guess no one has taken them off.

charliekuney
06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I took a look. On the coupe, the piece on the back of the door and the piece in front of the rear window both have two screws each. Damn, if I would have remembered, I would have tried at the junkyard today on a sedan.

Legend_master
06-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Ill tell you a better method then removing and painting them, and this also goes for all the other body molding thats not painted. You can take a heat gun, and run it across the plastic until it darkens back to the original color. Depending on your climate, you may only have to do this once a year or so. Be careful not to cook one part to long because it WILL melt if you do that. Has to be a heat gun, a blow dryer is not hot enough.

Dr_Snooz
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm having reasonably good luck with linseed oil, but it's messy and spontaneously combustible. Probably better to use the heat gun.

Legend_master
06-16-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm having reasonably good luck with linseed oil, but it's messy and spontaneously combustible. Probably better to use the heat gun.

Much easier, but wait till the linseed oil is gone before doing that lol.

Civic Accord Honda
06-16-2010, 01:54 PM
theres scerws on the sides of it behind a rubber seal if i recall, its been years since ive removed that piece