PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump works when it wants too.

ekoms
06-02-2010, 08:16 AM
well as the title says I can start the car & the fuel pump may click once. the car is running OK, then dies as the carb gets empty. turn off the car then try to start it again hoping for a lot of clicks from the pump as it fills the carb but most of the time it clicks once then nothing. I'll try again & again & again, then like once out of ten tries it will click a lot & refill the carb & start. I have changed the filter in the engine bay, fuel cut relay on the back of the fuse box & the fuel fuse itself. I have checked & cleaned all known connection. I removed the oil pressure switch long ago before this problem for a manual gauge (the oil pressure switch is tied into fuel circuit (sort of fuel system fail safe as the book says). I'm thinking is got to be a short some where or the pump is about to grenade on me. there's been a few times I went from asphalt to dirt & it died after a bump or what not. I just cant find the short. I have it hooked up on a switch from the battery & the pump works fine for now.

any1 else have some ideas ?

thanks.

dreeeemA
06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
disconnect the fuel line. and see if fuel is pumping or not.

ekoms
06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I got a little time to try & figure it out today. after following the wire back to the fuel pump & repairing two breaks in-line, I then figured out it was the ignition switch. if I start the car like normal the pump wont start. if I start the car like normal then turn the key back a little bit the pump will kick on.

UPDATE......I replaced the ignition switch today & it still does it just not as bad, like 1 or 2 times out of 6 tries it will click once. the rest of the time it clicks like normal. it also still does it when wired to a hot lead on a fused switch. I think its my pump now. I'm going to swap the pump with the one from my 84 3dr & see what happens on the factory wiring circuit & on a fused switch hot lead.

ekoms
06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
its all fixed up now . I swapped the pump from my 84 & it hasn't done it since. I read that the pumps a internally regulated, what PSI range do they run at ?

thanks.

Hick
07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Im having what i believe is the same problem. My 85 would die randomly then start back up. But the other day it shit the bed and i had to get it towed home. It wont start for shit now.

2ndGenGuy
07-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Yep, my 84 did the same thing. The fuel pump just started dying randomly and my car would sputter to a stop. Restart the car and it would be fine. Might as well check for fuel and if you're not getting any, replace that pump!