PDA

View Full Version : mystery box question

clark_486
06-02-2010, 04:21 PM
so i was messing around with my car and tried starting it without the black box hooked up electricity. car ran fine, but i'm wondering what is now not working because of this. [all vacuum lines are still connected but the two wire plugs are not]

russiankid
06-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Pretty sure most of it is related to emissions.

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2010, 05:49 PM
so i was messing around with my car and tried starting it without the black box hooked up electricity. car ran fine, but i'm wondering what is now not working because of this. [all vacuum lines are still connected but the two wire plugs are not]

DO NOT DO THIS!!! You will generate singularities in the space/time continuum! DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!!!!

Ack!! Run for the hills!!!

jlebr549
06-03-2010, 02:32 AM
The only way to tell for sure what’s not working is too check your V.I.N. against a Haynes Manual or Honda Service Manual that deciphers what exactly is in that black box and what it does.
If you provide your V.I.N., then I probably can find the box drawing from my service manuals.

lostforawhile
06-03-2010, 03:12 AM
and have fun, some of the emissions aren't even in the book or on the under hood sticker. like the box under the drivers side fender, you'll see a bunch of hoses going into the fender, not even listed, and I have good emissions diagrams

jlebr549
06-03-2010, 03:37 AM
and have fun, some of the emissions aren't even in the book or on the under hood sticker. like the box under the drivers side fender, you'll see a bunch of hoses going into the fender, not even listed, and I have good emissions diagrams

I have five pdf files of the service manuals and updates from 86 through 89 if you know were I can get some more please post links.
Thanks.

lostforawhile
06-03-2010, 04:31 AM
I have five pdf files of the service manuals and updates from 86 through 89 if you know were I can get some more please post links.
Thanks.

You probably have the same ones listed on the site here. but if you have something new it needs to be added to the service manual thread I don't have the factory carbs anymore but I still want to know what the mystery box under the fender was

jlebr549
06-03-2010, 04:50 AM
You probably have the same ones listed on the site here. but if you have something new it needs to be added to the service manual thread I don't have the factory carbs anymore but I still want to know what the mystery box under the fender was

The only thing I can see under the drivers fender (Domestic) is as washer tank, and the passenger side close to the bumper is a Dim-Dip resistor.

lostforawhile
06-03-2010, 05:25 AM
The only thing I can see under the drivers fender (Domestic) is as washer tank, and the passenger side close to the bumper is a Dim-Dip resistor.

we don't have the resistor here in the US, and the washer tank is under the bumper area. there is an emissions box with a ton of hoses going to it under the drivers side fender. they go through the inner fender well, you can see then up near the PS reservoir. when I pull this fender again to fix the new dent in it, I will take a picture

import racer
06-03-2010, 08:15 AM
I don't have any box under the fender so it must be a US thing.

clark_486
06-03-2010, 04:36 PM
DO NOT DO THIS!!! You will generate singularities in the space/time continuum! DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!!!!

do you think these could generate better gas mileage, more power, or destroy the universe as we know it? :idea:

cygnus x-1
06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
do you think these could generate better gas mileage, more power, or destroy the universe as we know it? :idea:

So THAT'S what made the Blackhawks lose on Wednesday. It's all your fault. :slap::lol:

Most of black box stuff is emissions controls, so most likely you won't notice much of anything. But if any of those things were malfunctioning and negatively impacting the car's performance, then disconnecting them could help. It's hard to really say without knowing specifically what was disconnected.

About the only thing you can say for certain is that it wouldn't pass a visual inspection that way (and probably not a tail pipe test either).

C|

clark_486
06-04-2010, 08:25 AM
So THAT'S what made the Blackhawks lose on Wednesday. It's all your fault. :slap::lol:

Oops, my bad :lol:

Luckily here in Maine we don't have emissions test, just a visual rust inspection, and the lights, etc. My overall plan is to go Webber at some point. So this works out pretty good.

ecogabriel
06-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Now we know who to blame for the oil flooding in the Gulf :ugh2:

The black box on EFI cars contains the MAP sensor. In addition, some EFI models have a purge solenoid (for the gas vapors) and a solenoid for the second intake runner.
Auto cars add an idle booster solenoid.
There is also a cold advance solenoid and the A/C idle booster solenoid. Oh, and my favorite: the EGR solenoid!
Carbed cars may have (either in the black box or elsewhere): cold advance solenoid, A/C idle boost solenoid (if A/C equipped), idle booster solenoid (for auto trans). EGR valve is different from EFI cars and actuated differently.

Only way to know is opening it and follow the tubing to figure out where each component goes. What I have said about EFI should help as a broad reference (minus the obviously EFI stuff)

bryan42688
06-05-2010, 07:10 PM
im pretty sure your car is the same as mine you can check this out , you dont need most of that crap it is all emission's related you also dont need to get a weber carb in order to get rid of the vacumm , check out this thread for a how to remove it all but what is needed, MAKE SURE YOU DONT NEED EMISSION TEST it will be in the next post:tongue:

bryan42688
06-05-2010, 07:11 PM
ps: Honda calls this item the control box.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11067