PDA

View Full Version : A20A1 Intake Removal(Head Gasket) HELP

bryan42688
06-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Ultimately trying to do a head gasket dont wanna kill my 87 accord DX with only 190K on it, please point me to a tread i have haynes manual but still have problems can not get bottom intake bolts also going to do a complete vaccum removal when i put itback to geather,

2ndGenGuy
06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Just leave the intake manifold on while you pull off the head. That's the easiest way to go about it.

bryan42688
06-05-2010, 07:42 AM
i dont understand how i am suppose to do that will the head clear??? i though the bolts needed to at least be removed in order to pull the head foward

2ndGenGuy
06-05-2010, 10:02 AM
You should be fine. Just leave the intake manifold on, disconnect everything from it, pull the head bolts the head and manifold should clear just fine. I don't think you have to pull the head forward at all really.

bryan42688
06-05-2010, 10:16 AM
do i still have to remove the rocker arms and the top sprocket where the timing belt is connected any help is apprechiated , i am a very techincal person however this is my first head gasket job:nervous:

lostforawhile
06-05-2010, 11:10 AM
do i still have to remove the rocker arms and the top sprocket where the timing belt is connected any help is apprechiated , i am a very techincal person however this is my first head gasket job:nervous:

it would help, you will have to retorque them anyway since the headbolts are loosened and it can affect the torque of those bolts, it's really easy, when they come off everything will stay together, it's not like they are going to fall off of the shafts. Just take a deep breath, people here will walk you through this, it's not that bad, you are on the best (probably the only) third generation site out there

bryan42688
06-05-2010, 05:01 PM
any pictures or anything would be of great help i have never done a head gasket before , any advice or anything help's plus i would wondering does the alternator need to come out according to haynes manual it does

bryan42688
06-06-2010, 10:23 AM
got the head off today dont really see where the gasketis blown going to take it to my mechanic guy, and see if he can spot any thing i do notice about 9 pin sized holes in between the two cylnders that have oil and water in them but they seem to perfect holes i was personally expecting a tear or something i prey its the head gasekt also i found a hollow shaped cylnder with nothing in it that was about an inch tall and half inch wide with a perfect gap about 1/2 mm stright down it , also there is oil and water in the holes where the head bolted down at , any tips or methods on cleaing this?:ugh:

bryan42688
06-10-2010, 04:09 AM
87 Accord Dx, Head is removed expecting the gasket from rock auto. left the intake and carb in tact, was going to attempt to get rid of alot of these damn vacuum hose's. I was wondering if i should bolt the ehxaust on to the head? i could not get the egr and air suction tubesout of the exhaust end. any help or suggestions would be great.

MessyHonda
06-10-2010, 11:46 PM
87 Accord Dx, Head is removed expecting the gasket from rock auto. left the intake and carb in tact, was going to attempt to get rid of alot of these damn vacuum hose's. I was wondering if i should bolt the ehxaust on to the head? i could not get the egr and air suction tubesout of the exhaust end. any help or suggestions would be great.

lots of pb blaster

rebuild
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
How did this head gasket job turn out?

bryan42688
06-13-2010, 06:18 AM
yeah it went good did a stage 1 vac removal now the car runs like shit, i mean it wont even stay started without holding in the gas