PDA

View Full Version : alternator

honda
06-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know if it's better to get a new alternator, or rebuild the original, or how much that should cost?

Dr_Snooz
06-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Well, just about anything is better than buying a garbage alternator from Kragen or Autozone that will fail out on the highway requiring a long tow and another alternator. It isn't too hard to rebuild an alternator, assuming you can find parts for it. That might be difficult for such an old car. Plus you have to figure in the automotive down time while you rebuild the thing. I've had good luck in the past with Napa rebuilt alternators but their stuff lately has really disappointed me. It does look as if they offer a couple new alternators, but I don't know anything about them. If I were in your shoes, I would buy from Rock Auto but make sure I got a Denso or Beck/Arnley part. Anything else and you're a lot more likely to have problems.

Good luck!

LX-incredible
06-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Buy a alternator remanufactured by Denso. They have all the parts available as they built them to begin with. Worth every penny of the $20-$30 price difference.

lostforawhile
06-06-2010, 09:51 AM
yea all the parts should be available, this is a very popular brand of alternator, not only on Honda's, but on a lot of different vechicals. There is even a company that rebuilds them under their name for aircraft.

dreeeemA
06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know if it's better to get a new alternator, or rebuild the original, or how much that should cost?

I have rebuilt Denso alternators before and it's not that hard Have you checked the Denso site before? They sell re-man units direct that look like a new factory unit.

SFCA1987lx
06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
I've actually had no problems with kragens alternators. Other then their competent employees giving me the wrong one to start with, theyve performed just fine for me. Price wise and downtime wise i think its better to just buy a new/reman one and drop it in

Hauntd ca3
06-09-2010, 01:07 AM
usually the only things on denso alts that are hard to replace with out experiance are the slip rings, which in cars our age are prob bout flogged out.
otherwise they just do brushes and bearings.
if you dont have to replace slip rings, maybe 30 bucks worth of parts.

Layson
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
tell you what, it isn't fun to have to pull it all over again. That is what I had to do, got one from autozone and it was bad. i was pissed to have to pull the transaxle again, got real good at it though..

Dr_Snooz
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
I've actually had no problems with kragens alternators. Other then their competent employees giving me the wrong one to start with, theyve performed just fine for me. Price wise and downtime wise i think its better to just buy a new/reman one and drop it in

It will only take one tow to change your mind...

1989accordaz
06-18-2010, 12:24 PM

I replaced my alternator with a new one ( reman) from Autozone in 96. Just two days ago it died on me, so it lasted a good 4 years. Fortunately, it died 2 miles from my home. But I had to have it towed at $55. Had a lifetime warranty on it, so the exchange was free. But having to remove the half axle to replace it is not fun.

I would recommend to go with a Denso if you can afford it.

1989accordaz
06-18-2010, 12:26 PM
tell you what, it isn't fun to have to pull it all over again. That is what I had to do, got one from autozone and it was bad. i was pissed to have to pull the transaxle again, got real good at it though..

HAHA Just replaced mine ( again ) two days ago and it took me about two hours, had to remove the half axel...and yes, I am getting real good at it too, kinda sucks though...

bryan42688
06-18-2010, 12:55 PM
you dont have to pop out that axel ouch whata job just simply work from the top and jack the engine up or you can slide it across towards the battery and it comes right out from the bottom, it is a lot easier said then done , but if you have just remove the emission controls and work your way down you dont have to pop out that axel , either way its a hell of an alternator job

Jeffrey803
07-09-2010, 09:33 PM
bryan42688 is right,you don't have to pull yours axles people.Just take the driver's side motor mount loose,jack up your oil pan with a floor jack (use a board) only needs to go up 2 to 3 inches and on my 89 my alternator was right there ready to be dropped out,total time out and back in 30 minutes.I laugh everytime i read posts of people changing alternators and pulling there axles.I thought i would have to pull my axle too,then i came in this forum and started searching and BAM there it was right in front of me,jack up your oil pan,Thank You whoever thought of that awesome Timesaver.

lostforawhile
07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
bryan42688 is right,you don't have to pull yours axles people.Just take the driver's side motor mount loose,jack up your oil pan with a floor jack (use a board) only needs to go up 2 to 3 inches and on my 89 my alternator was right there ready to be dropped out,total time out and back in 30 minutes.I laugh everytime i read posts of people changing alternators and pulling there axles.I thought i would have to pull my axle too,then i came in this forum and started searching and BAM there it was right in front of me,jack up your oil pan,Thank You whoever thought of that awesome Timesaver.

if you have the right tools, you can have the axle dropped nearly as fast. you don't have to pull it out of the tranny, just out of the hub, and let it drop down.

Layson
07-09-2010, 10:48 PM
well once you have done it once, it is only like a 30 minute job the second time...especially with air tools.... LOL

I wasn't too excited about jacking the motor up by the oil pan...

russiankid
07-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Pepboys sells reman and new ones, look into that.

Jeffrey803
07-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I have air tools too,don't need them,because I'm not pulling my axle,you are removing major parts (axle) you don't have to.