PDA

View Full Version : high idle

snoopyloopy
06-09-2010, 09:10 AM
this started exactly yesterday, my car (88 lxi) suddenly developed a high idle, both for warm-up then once it's warm. idle is about 500 rpm too high in both cases. and if i blip the throttle, it takes a good 15-20 secs to get back down to the rpm it was idling at before. now naturally, i'm a little bit concerned about this since it sprang up quite suddenly and without warning. so what do the gurus say?

also, it's been intermittently giving a code 14, but i checked, and there isn't a code being thrown right now.

1987AccordLx-i
06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
this started exactly yesterday, my car (88 lxi) suddenly developed a high idle, both for warm-up then once it's warm. idle is about 500 rpm too high in both cases. and if i blip the throttle, it takes a good 15-20 secs to get back down to the rpm it was idling at before. now naturally, i'm a little bit concerned about this since it sprang up quite suddenly and without warning. so what do the gurus say?

also, it's been intermittently giving a code 14, but i checked, and there isn't a code being thrown right now.

ok code 14 is your IACV or idle air control valve... front of the intake manifold.. has a connector on it... might be bad and might need replacing

anubix
06-09-2010, 06:22 PM
RE: info not posted here u told me, i think its the head gasket.
U said u saw white smoke off and on, and u had to add oil.
U also said the coolant wasn't dirty.

All of those (including coolant) can be symptomatic of a blown head gasket.
Typically, when a head gasket goes, we expect to see something (coolant/oil) moving in 1 direction into something else (oil/coolant) or combustion chamber.
for example:
oil may leak into the coolant, but that doesn't mean we will find coolant in the oil (only leaking in 1 direction)

or we may see coolant leaking into the oil, but not oil in the coolant (only leaking 1 direction)

I have also seen (trust me it took me a long time to give up on this one and tear the motor down to figure it out) coolant leaking in to the combustion chamber AND NOT the oil at all....(in amounts not detectable by visually inspecting the exhaust) So the coolant level just keeps gradually dropping... in a perfectly sealed and re-sealed... and resealed... and resealed coolant system.

Also I've seen oil leak into combustion chamber and not the coolant system.

All symptoms of bad head gasket. But dont worry, I got ur back. I've got enough parts to put you together something that will pass CA smog. We'll figure something out.

Dr_Snooz
06-09-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm leaning toward IACV too. Low coolant and dirt can affect its function. I'd start by checking the coolant level and cleaning it up first.