PDA

View Full Version : A/C and Recirculate lights don't work

Mercury
06-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I just picked up my 87 hatch a couple weeks ago, just bringing it back to life. The A/C and REC buttons will press in, but do not light up at all. Also the clutch on the A/C compressor doesn't spin when I hit the button. I checked and there are no fuses for the A/C system.

I did search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

car6289
06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
It's fuse #5 in the under dash fuse box. The sticker on the fuse access/coin box says "Rear Defroster". A/C compressor clutch relay and compressor clutch get their power through this fuse.

Mercury
06-09-2010, 07:55 PM
The rear defrost fuse was blown. I replaced it but I still have the same issue. Now the rear defrost works though

rc00netzero
06-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Check (or have someone check) refrigerant pressure. AC won't run if system pressure is too low (below 20 PSI I think).

rc00netzero
06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
As for the button lights, the ones that come on when button is pushed are LED - they rarely burn out, but are prone to bad solder connections like main relay. Can be fixed if you can solder well and are willing to pull control panel. Best bet - get one from a You-pullit JY (read control panel removal in manual) and run diagnostics on it (from manual) and re-solder it's LED, and then do a swap.

PS while you are at it, put in new bulbs for the nightime illumination. They are still available from Honda parts suppliers

car6289
06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Something blew the #5 fuse. Fuses protect wiring, some device in the circuit that the #5 (10A) fuse protects is drawing more than 10 amps or you have a wire(s) shorted to (-) ground. Here are some possibilities if this fuse blows again: 1) heater control panel function control motor (if your panel is all push buttons), the recirc/fresh motor, A/C compressor clutch relay or your A/C delay unit (if have carbed engine).
You have ruled out the rear window defroster as you said it now works after fuse replacement.

The A/C pushbutton switch, the compressor clutch relay, the clutch itself, the compressor, the A/C system thermostat, the low pressure switch, an open circuit in wiring are possibilities for your A/C malfunction.

As rc00netzero said your A/C system refrigerant could be low. A low pressure switch is in the system for protection of the compre$$or.