PDA

View Full Version : need drum brake job tips..

rebuild
06-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I want to replace the drums and shoes on an 89 LXi (do you always replace the springs too? or how can you tell if they are fatigued? - by how the old shoes have worn? If so where best/good shoe spring kit?).

The cheapest 'lifetime warranty' shoes seemed hard and thin and a lighter gray than the more expensive ones that were thicker, darker, and seemed softer.

Is either one just fine, or the more expensive is quieter with less dust?

As far as the drums - do you always turn new ones? Have you heard of a recommendation to wash them with warm soapy water before use to get rid of some chemical?

Do you have to have an offset 12mm wrench to be able to do the job? (to remove parking brake cable from the backing plate - p20-42 in the service manual)

Can reuse U-clip or new every time?

Thank you.

Lil Mike
06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
personally i would go with the mid grade, it always depends on what your going with your car and the funds you have. you don't turn new ones they already come turned ready to put on the car. as for washing the drums with soapy water, yes because they put oil on the drums and rotors, so they don't rust when in the warehouse or at the store selling them.

DBMaster
06-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Since OEM Honda shoes are not that expensive I went with a set from Majestic last time and also replaced all the hardware with two kits from NAPA. I had lousy luck with Raybestos shoes. The set I have on now has already lasted 100,000 miles. I think I only paid about $35 for the Honda shoes.

nswst8
06-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Only do one side at a time. This way you have the other side to reference. You will have to use leverage techniques to disassemble and reassemble springs. Just take your time don't get frustrated take a breather when it doesn't seem to be going together as anticipated.

If the springs look rusted, mangled from previous brake jobs, REPLACE THEM!

Yes wash the brake area with soapy water "DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER" near the wheel cylinder it will cause the rubber boots to deteriorate and fail. I only use soapy water and bristle brush for cleaning brake parts.

Good luck,

P.S.

I dislike doing rear drum brakes!

2drSE-i
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Doing rear brake shoes really gives you an appreciation for rear discs. I took apart my buddies saturn rear shoes 6 times before getting it right.......extremely time consuming. As they said, take lots of breaks (pun not intended) or you will get extremely irritated.

I assume you have a drum brake tool?

rebuild
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I though drum brakes were easier to work on? No drum brake tool - what is that? Something to tap it with at first? I do not have the 12mm offset either. Why are they difficult to do - are the springs very hard to get off?

rebuild
06-11-2010, 03:23 PM

nswst8
06-11-2010, 04:37 PM
A brake tool is not required although a skilled tech can make it look real easy. I usually use a good screw driver and needle nose pliers. You do not absolutely need an offset wrench either and standard 12mm will work.

Listen to what has been said and take your time, it is do-able, even for a novice.

Look on youtube for drum brake servicing.

nswst8
06-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Dude, you owe me big time.

A 3g getting brakes serviced on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYB2bMtsNo&feature=related

2drSE-i
06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
If you watch the second one they look under the hood. They taped over the honda emblems lol

rebuild
06-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks. That guy sprays brake cleaner all over including his hand. One other video showed a guy putting anti seize compound where the shoes contact the backing plate, the guy in this video I think went with lithium grease - so which one - either? Is 'Majestic' a brakes manufacturer or a parts place DBMaster?

2drSE-i
06-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Majestic is a Honda Dealership that specializes in online parts sales.

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

They have a HUGE warehouse and can order most parts that honda still has for us.

I think anti-seize or lithium grease would work just fine.

rebuild
06-12-2010, 03:58 PM
For anything I tried to look up at Majestic I got "No items available for the selection. Please select again"

Did you order recently?

Thanks.

nswst8
06-12-2010, 04:12 PM
For anything I tried to look up at Majestic I got "No items available for the selection. Please select again"

Did you order recently?

Thanks.

I usually just buy from the local autoparts store. No problems as of yet.

nswst8
06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Here's a better how to on the rear brakes, it shows you how to how to leave e-brake lever in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqOxiUEFeo&playnext_from=TL&videos=GaN-1CCzDj8

Oldblueaccord
06-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Thanks. That guy sprays brake cleaner all over including his hand. One other video showed a guy putting anti seize compound where the shoes contact the backing plate, the guy in this video I think went with lithium grease - so which one - either? Is 'Majestic' a brakes manufacturer or a parts place DBMaster?

Either or its your preference. I use anti seize myself. On really old car you want to look at this surface and make sure its not too worn out it will make the shoes hang.

The trick to drum brakes is putting them together in the correct order makes it easier.

wp