PDA

View Full Version : georgia members help me!!!

88lxi-shortram
06-14-2010, 11:34 AM
my car isnt running and i dont know whats wrong with it i need it to run and if icant im crushing it... plz help me

ShyBoyCA6
06-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Well we can't help you if you don't fully explain the problem lol and. Have you tried searching?

88lxi-shortram
06-14-2010, 12:12 PM
it runs so damn rough and it shuts off after i put it into gear

ghettogeddy
06-14-2010, 12:19 PM
when was the last time you did a tune up

oil
oil filter
gas filters
fuel injection cleaner
had the timing done
seeing as its an lxi you should be able to pull a code form the cpu under the seat just watch for the blinking lights and give us a number im sure we can give you an answer form that if there is a code that is

88lxi-shortram
06-14-2010, 06:57 PM
i havent cuz ive never really gotten to drive it... honestly im thinking about selling it to anyone who has the time money to do anything to it.... any takers? id be willing to let it go for like 900 it may be negotiable but i really just need a car

ghettogeddy
06-14-2010, 07:23 PM
sorry but to me no 3g specially in a non running state is worth 900 ive never spent more then 500 and that was on my full running 87 lxi hatch

lostforawhile
06-14-2010, 08:36 PM
instead of being pissy and just saying you will crush it, post something useful about what the problem is. we can't help you with something as vague as it runs rough

88lxi-shortram
06-15-2010, 05:36 AM
ok my bad people yesterday was just a bad day.. heres the theory of whats wrong with it.... i replaced the sparkplugs and the sparkplug wires yesterday and the sparkplug on the far left didnt want to go in. i got my friend to come and try to put it in and he said i may need to rethread the hole but he wasnt for sure. i figured since i have to rethread anyways to try to make it go in. we started slow trying to get the plug to follow the threads as good as they would and then he got about 3/4 of the way in and he grabbed an air rachet and just forced it the rest of the way in... another problem could be i dont remember the sparkplug wire order if i remember correctly its 1,3,2,4 on the block but im not sure. the cars done this before when it was low on gas so i added gas in hopes of a change... no results thats why i was in such a pissy mood guys sorry...

lostforawhile
06-15-2010, 06:16 AM
ok my bad people yesterday was just a bad day.. heres the theory of whats wrong with it.... i replaced the sparkplugs and the sparkplug wires yesterday and the sparkplug on the far left didnt want to go in. i got my friend to come and try to put it in and he said i may need to rethread the hole but he wasnt for sure. i figured since i have to rethread anyways to try to make it go in. we started slow trying to get the plug to follow the threads as good as they would and then he got about 3/4 of the way in and he grabbed an air rachet and just forced it the rest of the way in... another problem could be i dont remember the sparkplug wire order if i remember correctly its 1,3,2,4 on the block but im not sure. the cars done this before when it was low on gas so i added gas in hopes of a change... no results thats why i was in such a pissy mood guys sorry...
he FORCED the spark plug in with an air ratchet? you need to fire your friend, the threads were probably dirty and needed to be chased, now you may need a helicoil or a new head, you don't force a spark plug in EVER, on any engine. you just learned a very expensive lesson, and find friends who have a clue what they are doing. you might have needed to put your wires in the correct order or something, now there's a good chance you have major damage

VIPER1988
06-15-2010, 06:26 AM
on the block the cylinders are right to left 1234. the cap should have numbers for which wires go where. also change your fuel filter as many people done realize that it needs to be changed at least once a year depending on mileage.

and with the plug forced in i would offer 300 maybe 400. the head would have to be removed to either use helicoil or be replaced.

88lxi-shortram
06-15-2010, 08:37 AM
i dont think the threads are to bad do yal think theres any possibilty to rethread?

lostforawhile
06-15-2010, 09:09 AM
i dont think the threads are to bad do yal think theres any possibilty to rethread?

you probably need to do a helicoil, if the plug was forced in, it's probably cross threaded, it's a sot aluminum thread, you are supposed to hand start then torque,

88lxi-shortram
06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
and heilcoil would mean to ___?

lostforawhile
06-15-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.webslingercycles.com%2FDocs%2 FHowtouseaHelicoil.pdf&rct=j&q=how+to+use+a+helicoil&ei=GuEXTNiXDcP68Abh2tC2DA&usg=AFQjCNEpQLqt5jbIBi1W8u9evFR_sBIv2w&sig2=ohsxBfVrB64YJSaY7BTnrQ

88lxi-shortram
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
ok that helps me understand alot better but i still dont understand a few things.
1) what size kit should i buy?
2) how do i make sure my sparkplugs will sit fit in the new helicoil?
3) will it really work on our blocks? im almost positive that they are steel not aluminum correct?
4) lol anyone willing to come out and help me do it?

ghettogeddy
06-15-2010, 04:37 PM
3) will it really work on our blocks? im almost positive that they are steel not aluminum correct?

block is steal but the plugs go into the head lol witch is aluminum

lostforawhile
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
ok that helps me understand alot better but i still dont understand a few things.
1) what size kit should i buy?
2) how do i make sure my sparkplugs will sit fit in the new helicoil?
4) lol anyone willing to come out and help me do it?

I'm not sure off the top of my head on the spark plug size, but you will need a spark plug helicoil kit, it's going to be a bit expensive, don't go for an off brand, get the real one, you are probably going to have to pull the head anyway to do it right, if you don't know what you are doing, i wouldn't try it. also the plugs aren't in the block,they are in the head. the head is aluminum. since you have to pull the head, take the head to an automotive machine shop, if you have the head pulled,it's no big deal for a shop to put in a helicoil, probably a lot cheaper then having to buy the kit. if you were closer to me, and had the head I could do it for you, but you still need the plug helicoil kit.

lostforawhile
06-15-2010, 04:50 PM
14mm , this is probably your best bet for repair, it's 14X1.25 http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=HEL5334-14 i told the guy at Summit,when i was trying to find the kit, and he was laughing so hard he was almost in tears, he said he has NEVER head of someone stripping out a plug hole with an air tool before.

88lxi-shortram
06-15-2010, 05:36 PM
so ive got to take the head off? i hope not cuz i have no idea how to do any kind of internal work...

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 04:23 AM
so ive got to take the head off? i hope not cuz i have no idea how to do any kind of internal work...

the kit i posted, i think you can use it with the head on, you'll have to rig a piece of tube with a vaccume cleaner hose or something, to try and remove the shavings from inside of the engine. bring the piston up near top dead center first.

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 04:42 AM
if you had the head off, you could drill holes in the pistons to make them lighter, jk,jk,jk

88lxi-shortram
06-16-2010, 06:50 AM
im gonna see if i can get some some taking it off and putting it back on from somebody cuz to me that seems like cutting corners and i like to do things the right way... despite me and my dumass friend forcing in the plug

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 06:55 AM
im gonna see if i can get some some taking it off and putting it back on from somebody cuz to me that seems like cutting corners and i like to do things the right way... despite me and my dumass friend forcing in the plugwell it's not always cutting corners to repair the threads with the head on, it depends on the general condition of the car on whether removing it is worth the effort. if you vacuum out the cyl and use a little grease on the tap to catch chips, i think you would be ok

88lxi-shortram
06-16-2010, 07:28 AM
thats the main problem though even though i strive to be a mechanic i dont know what your talking about or how to do it most of the time. i love to learn new things about cars and being on this forum helps tremndously but when it comes down to it i need a partner to work with because im inexpierienced and my dad couldnt find his way around a honda for his life. is there anyway i could get the head off w/o removing the engine? which would be easier?

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 09:27 AM
thats the main problem though even though i strive to be a mechanic i dont know what your talking about or how to do it most of the time. i love to learn new things about cars and being on this forum helps tremndously but when it comes down to it i need a partner to work with because im inexpierienced and my dad couldnt find his way around a honda for his life. is there anyway i could get the head off w/o removing the engine? which would be easier?
of course you can remove the head and leave the engine in the car, but if you have no knowledge at all, best to get the kit and fix it on the car,

88lxi-shortram
06-16-2010, 09:55 AM
ok so far disassembly is pretty easy but reinstalling requires torqing down stuff correct?

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 09:56 AM
ok so far disassembly is pretty easy but reinstalling requires torqing down stuff correct?

right also taking the head off wrong can warp it

bryan42688
06-16-2010, 09:59 AM
i just took the head off of my car (first time ehad gakset iwas scared) but i was easy here what you do

1) drain coolant and oil

2) remove air cover, and unplug everything from intake manifold , and carb ( note there are things underneith the intake as well as two bolts that bolt the block to the intake

3) place the car on jack stands and remove the heat shield and o2 sensor plug the exhaust mounts to block and the header from exhaust pipe ,leave header and intake bolted into the head

4)jack the engine up and remove left motor mount make sure you use a block of wood when jacking the motor also remove the left wheel

5) set the number one piston to top dead center

6) remove the distribotor make sure you mark it,

7) remove upper timing belt cover and losen the timing belt

8) remove valve cover and slide off timing belt

9) un bold the ehad bolts in order and check to make surenothing else is bolted in attached to head intake exhust header or carb

10) take a deep breath and get an extra hand you can lift the head stright off the motor with the intake exhuast and carb attached, now you only need to replace head gasket , any questions just ask me i can help you

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 10:07 AM
i just took the head off of my car (first time ehad gakset iwas scared) but i was easy here what you do

1) drain coolant and oil

2) remove air cover, and unplug everything from intake manifold , and carb ( note there are things underneith the intake as well as two bolts that bolt the block to the intake

3) place the car on jack stands and remove the heat shield and o2 sensor plug the exhaust mounts to block and the header from exhaust pipe ,leave header and intake bolted into the head

4)jack the engine up and remove left motor mount make sure you use a block of wood when jacking the motor also remove the left wheel

5) set the number one piston to top dead center

6) remove the distribotor make sure you mark it,

7) remove upper timing belt cover and losen the timing belt

8) remove valve cover and slide off timing belt

9) un bold the ehad bolts in order and check to make surenothing else is bolted in attached to head intake exhust header or carb

10) take a deep breath and get an extra hand you can lift the head stright off the motor with the intake exhuast and carb attached, now you only need to replace head gasket , any questions just ask me i can help you

I think he's fuel injected, not sure, he's going to need a much more detailed description he thought the spark plugs were in the block, he is learning though. if the head isn't untorqued in the same sequence it's torqued it can warp the head.

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I think with his mechanical knowledge he will do much better repairing the head on the block, it's not hard to remove the shavings if you know how to do it. the other thing is a long piece of cloth covered in grease, fed down in there, and removed a number of times, the aluminum chips will stick to it.

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 10:16 AM
another idea is to get one of those air holding tools for doing valve work, when you are all done, thread it into the spark plug hole, turn the engine by hand until the exaust valve is open, then apply compressed air to the adapter fitting. all the chips and dust will blow out the exaust valve. if you do this,don't use grease on the threads or the grease will keep the chips from moving

kentwat
06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
If you haven't pulled that plug back out, I'd leave it alone and just see if it is going to run decent. You can rip it apart later if it warrants fixing at all. Get your plug wires all on in the correct order and inspect the intake manifold area for vacuum leaks. Then try and fire it up. You say it stalls if you put it in gear, have you checked for any engine codes on the computer? It is located under your drivers seat. Turn on the key and check for flashing light. Count the number of flashes and note each code. Then I'd disconnect the battery and clear all codes then hook battery back up and see if it will run. Then check for codes again under drivers seat to see if codes are the same and report findings back here.

bryan42688
06-16-2010, 11:14 AM
whynot just run it on two cylender's until the engine end of life if you dont want to fix ityou can turn your 110hp car in a 55hp as long as you have the two pistions balanced out and remember where they are if you go to refire them u should be ok so for example if you fucked up one of the plugs on the outside not the two in the middle then unplug both outside plug wires , if it was one in the middle the unplug them see how it runs as for where the wires go the distrubtor should have 1 2 3 4 on them and the headshould have engravings with there number

88lxi-shortram
06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
i got started today but once i got under the valve cover i has no idea what to do. and everyone i called said they wont help me so im lost and have no idea where to go or how to fix it

lostforawhile
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
i got started today but once i got under the valve cover i has no idea what to do. and everyone i called said they wont help me so im lost and have no idea where to go or how to fix it

like i've said about ten times already, get the repair kit, fix the stripped out spark plug hole, tape a piece of tube to the end of a vacuum cleaner hose, stick it in there, vacuum it all out, you don't have the skills to pull a head off, and put it back on with success, not putting you down,but you just don't. if he gets that kit, can someone up there show him how to do it? if I was closer I would help him, but i don't hold a lot of hope for this engine.

88lxi-shortram
06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
ok im going to try to do it by myself but ill post pics and try to get how to info and step by step instructions lol.

88lxi-shortram
06-24-2010, 11:45 AM
ok heres an update on the whole forced plug situation. i bought a repair kit at autozone for 30 dollars and got home to realize i needed thread lock or silicone. had to walk all the way bak. but o well. i got everything prepped and ready for the repair and it went relativly smooth. and i got the insert installed and now its jus waiting to set before i try to crank it. but i promised pics so here they are. hopefully tomoro ill have a video of it running or even better driving it
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/8872/1000386u.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6958/1000387.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5130/1000388k.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5720/1000389.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1763/1000392c.jpg

ecogabriel
06-25-2010, 05:24 AM

If you do not know how to cut new threads with a tap, I would suggest you practice on a piece of metal before trying it in the engine head.
Try getting a piece of metal thick enough to tap threads on it, drill holes large enough to accept the tap (around 13mm should be fine, maybe 1/2" would work too) and try your hand there.
A word of WARNING! You use brute force with a tap you'll break it and then god help you. The way I do that is going 1/4-1/2 of turn and then back up a little bit, another 1/4-1/2 turn forward, a little bit backward, and so on. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.
Also, do not apply too much force with the tap handle. Grab it as close to the center as you can.

Bottom line: go SLOWLY, carefully, and gently. And by all means practice a little before you try on the head itself.

(UPDATE:) I see you figured it out. Good for you!
For some reason your posting showed up AFTER I posted mine... or maybe I am too drunk but I have not drunk... oh well, hope you get her back in the roads)

88lxi-shortram
06-25-2010, 07:37 AM
well bad news everybody... the engine still doesnt wants to run. when i cranked it up the engine was trying to ignite and u heard this sound almost like an old man with emphazima would make as he coughs. doesnt sound good for the engine but whatever happenes ill be on the hunt for a new engine.

lostforawhile
06-25-2010, 07:40 AM
well bad news everybody... the engine still doesnt wants to run. when i cranked it up the engine was trying to ignite and u heard this sound almost like an old man with emphazima would make as he coughs. doesnt sound good for the engine but whatever happenes ill be on the hunt for a new engine.
don't give up on it yet, it sounds like a timing issue, I know what you mean that sound is usually the ignition timing being off and causing the engine to fire when a valve is open. did you check the timing belt

88lxi-shortram
06-25-2010, 06:22 PM
idk anything about that either... but im not sure but i dont think the sparkplug goes in all the way even with the insert. but what do i do with timing? cuz i found an engine with 86000 miles and a 6 month warranty for backup.