PDA

View Full Version : anyone buffed or polished valve cover well?

rebuild
06-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I have just about all the black paint off my valve cover (89 LXi) and it does look pretty good, but what else can I do to it to give it a finished look? It looks kind of 'raw' now. Do I just need to polish it somehow or paint a clear coat or what? (Also do you know the best way to clean the oil 'plaque' on the inside? That baffle in there is not removeable - right? (I found an old post about taking a buffer to it and looked at some blurry linked pics, but I don't think that poster is around now.) Has anyone else done this well? Thanks.

ghettogeddy
06-16-2010, 04:25 PM
i bought mine orignaly polished

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/101_0498.jpg?t=1276734289

but i painted it white when i got my hatch
im sure when i want to go back i can just use some paint remover and it will still be nice and shiny lol i only put a couple of coats on it

rebuild
06-16-2010, 06:01 PM
That looks really nice and the little blue filter rocks! :bow:
I don't think I can do that with my LXi cause I think oil gets up in that tube I have attached there. Is/was the lip that covers the timing belt cover also polished up? Where did you get the cover - you just ordered it from some custom parts place? Thanks. (I think some blue spark plug wires would look good on it too.)

MessyHonda
06-16-2010, 11:23 PM
that cover is a fuel intejected one

ghettogeddy
06-16-2010, 11:27 PM
That looks really nice and the little blue filter rocks! :bow:
I don't think I can do that with my LXi cause I think oil gets up in that tube I have attached there. Is/was the lip that covers the timing belt cover also polished up? Where did you get the cover - you just ordered it from some custom parts place? Thanks. (I think some blue spark plug wires would look good on it too.)
i bought it off a member how did the work himself
every lil nook and cranny of that vc was polished

ya that pic was taking before i got my ngk plugs (blue) and its also my first 3rd gen my 88lx..

here it is today on my 87 lxi hatch

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/100_4468.jpg?t=1276759579

and here it is as it stands painted white
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/100_4862.jpg?t=1276759631

redaccordcoupe
06-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I used to custom make valve covers at my last job out of cast aluminum, if your cover is aluminum and you want it to shine hit it with some metal polishing compound and a high speed buffer the cloth type not foam and shell shine right up. It takes a while maybe fourty min to do a whole honda cover. To get the plaque out id reccomend a mild degreaser maybe even watered down simple green as it won't har aluminum, let it soak and scrape with small putty knife,wire brush,or steel wool. Make sure you wash it re-installation.

rebuild
06-17-2010, 04:23 PM
(I do not know how to do the quote thing yet.)

ghettogeddy: Now that I see that little blue filter on the fuel injected model - I want one. Does it get oily? You don't have a hose going to your air induction system - do you? Does the hood touch that air filter? i went with a longer air induction tube and a shorter filter (that I need another one for so I can have one filter when I wash the other).

redaccordcoupe: I wonder if switching to a different oil with different detergent would get it off also - it would not scrape with a fingernail. Can't really get inside that baffle - correct? What is the best way to hold the VC if I can find a buffer? So might not need a clear coat - correct?

Thanks.

ghettogeddy
06-17-2010, 04:28 PM
(I do not know how to do the quote thing yet.)

ghettogeddy: Now that I see that little blue filter on the fuel injected model - I want one. Does it get oily? You don't have a hose going to your air induction system - do you? Does the hood touch that air filter? i went with a longer air induction tube and a shorter filter (that I need another one for so I can have one filter when I wash the other).

redaccordcoupe: I wonder if switching to a different oil with different detergent would get it off also - it would not scrape with a fingernail. Can't really get inside that baffle - correct? What is the best way to hold the VC if I can find a buffer? So might not need a clear coat - correct?

Thanks.

ya it just a air filter on the valve cover it doesn't get oily but it does get dirty
but ive had it on there for 4 years now lol
its not that bad

rebuild
06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Where'd you get the little one? Doesn't the big K&N filter hit the hood?

88lxi-shortram
06-18-2010, 09:28 AM
you can pick up a little one like that at autozone. thats where i got mine and they're only 11 $ if i recall correctly

Bglad420
06-18-2010, 09:44 AM
here it is today on my 97 lxi hatch

You have a uber rare 97 hatch....

ghettogeddy
06-18-2010, 04:42 PM
ya i got mine at autozone and the larger filter actually sits lower then the valve cover

Civic Accord Honda
06-18-2010, 05:21 PM
my breather filter gets oil soaked and sprays oil all over my engine bay... but i have a old as fuck worn out engine.. lol

redaccordcoupe
06-19-2010, 09:36 PM
If you got a rubber mat, or a few towels id do it one half at a time put it on a towel face up stand on or hold onn end down And buff away. Then flip it around and do the other half you had your foot on. If u wanted throw a few rags in a vise and lock itdown that way so it won't get scratched and buff it. Once I figure out the picture posts ill show you the finished resultt I also used a polish called flitz, its liquid gold for and metal, works real nice to polish stainless exhausts too.

A18A
06-20-2010, 12:17 AM
You have a uber rare 97 hatch....

hahahaha