PDA

View Full Version : CV Axle Terror

G. White
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
I just got done changing my cv axle seals (the ones that go into the differential.) Is the cv axle clip supposed to make an audible "click" when I push the axle into the differential? I put a new clip on the axle and can get it to bottom out in the differential but can still pull the axle out of the diff by hand. (Not needing to pry it out.....it has some resistance but not a lot.) Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Dr_Snooz
06-16-2010, 06:03 PM
You're supposed to replace the clip each time you pull the axle. You can just stretch out the old one again and that should be fine though.

DBMaster
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I had to tap on the end of mine a couple of times with a small hammer to make the clip seat. I couldn't get it to seat by hand.

nfs480
06-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I must have gotten lucky, I just gently slid the CV axle in on mine and it grabbed firm. Was a whole new axle though.

G. White
06-19-2010, 07:05 AM
I bought a new clip from the dealership and installed it. The axle does the same as before....goes in all the way but won't click in and stay...(because with a little wiggling by hand, I can get it to come back out again.) I tried some light hammering and still no dice. I am taking the inner part of the cv axle to the wrecking yard to see if it will engage into one of those tranmissions. If it doesn't then I will replace the axle. Is there a chance that my diff is fooked? The cv came out by hand initially (when I first started this task, so it may not have been locked in- in the first place) but did not back out and leak horrifically like it does now.

G. White
06-19-2010, 11:14 AM
After further investigation...I purchased this car and have been driving for 2 years with the wrong cv axle on the left side. I'm speculating that it might be the axle for a car equipped with an automatic transmission. Why it did not leak like crazy and destroy itself is beyond me... The input shafts of each unit are way different. I grabbed a manual axle from the junkyard and it clicked right in. Problem solved! Thanks for the help!

Dr_Snooz
06-20-2010, 09:39 AM
After further investigation...I purchased this car and have been driving for 2 years with the wrong cv axle on the left side. I'm speculating that it might be the axle for a car equipped with an automatic transmission. Why it did not leak like crazy and destroy itself is beyond me... The input shafts of each unit are way different. I grabbed a manual axle from the junkyard and it clicked right in. Problem solved! Thanks for the help!

Now that is truly CV Axle Terror. Thank heaven it didn't come out on the freeway.