PDA

View Full Version : why dipstick always pushed up?

rebuild
06-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Does this happen to anyone that when you go to check your oil - even though you pressed the dip stick all the way in last time - it is always pushed up about an inch? Does it mean that it is pressurized and shouldn't be? EGR of PCV? No engine check lights at all. Thanks.

AccordB20A
06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
i have the same problem and my motor burns oil so i guess its because of the enuine being worn

rebuild
06-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't recall ever NOT having that problem actually. I think I heard the same problem on a car repair program and I think they said replace the EGR but I am not for sure. What weight oil do you run in yours?

LX-incredible
06-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Excessive blowby... or, if you're feeling really optimistic, a worn dipstick seal...

itzdave
06-17-2010, 12:33 AM
never had that prob in either of mine.

cygnus x-1
06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Excessive blowby... or, if you're feeling really optimistic, a worn dipstick seal...

Could be either or both really. My engine has less than 10k miles on it and it does this. The dipstick looks pretty old though and doesn't fit tight. So I'm thinking the vibration makes it creep up.

C|

kentwat
06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Just a little bs. I bought a chevette for cheap. It ran good but had a tick. I replaced a rocker arm on it and it was quiet after. Then my girlfriend called and saidd it had no power. I brought it home and it was a dog. I went to do a compression check and the first 2 were ok then I did number 3 and hit the starter and nothing. I pulled the tester out and tried again with no plug and it sounded like a shotgun went off. I heard something fly and looked around and there was the dipstick. I was new to this and Dad just shook his head. I then took the dipstick and put it in the spark plug hole and it went all the way to the pan. I'm just glad we weren't standing in front of it. Usually it is excessive bottom end pressure that will push the dipstick out. But as stated above if it doesn't fit tight whose to say. Have you tested your pcv?

rebuild
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
No I've not tested the PCV - does that throw an engine check light if it needs attention? I didn't know a dipstick could be launched like a weapon! I have a very weepy oil pan gasket - could it even hold a lot of bottom end pressure?
Cygnus - you have a Honda engine with less than 10k on it?

I don't care about the thing being popped up so much as I wondered if it was a symptom of something wrong with an important part that was easy to swap out - then I wanted to go ahead and fix it.

Bluntman
06-17-2010, 02:02 PM
The PCV ( Positive Crankcase Ventilation ) valve will not throw a code. Pull your air filter and see if it is oily at all, it shouldn't be. A alot of times with excessive blow-by the air filter will get oil on it because of blow-by going in to the intake. That would be a hell of a lot of blow-by to get that dip stick up. If not oily it may just be a seal on the dipstick bad and letting it work it's way up.

DBMaster
06-17-2010, 06:47 PM
I know it may be weird to buy a new dipstick, but I did that a couple of years ago and the thing stopped popping out.

russiankid
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Mine does this every so often, the dip stick slides in with hardly any resistance so it is most likely the culprit.

MessyHonda
06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
pcv system could use an upgrade...mine pops up after i rev it really hard...now i drive a bit slower so it does not pop up as much

cygnus x-1
06-18-2010, 05:49 AM
No I've not tested the PCV - does that throw an engine check light if it needs attention? I didn't know a dipstick could be launched like a weapon! I have a very weepy oil pan gasket - could it even hold a lot of bottom end pressure?
Cygnus - you have a Honda engine with less than 10k on it?

It was completely rebuilt so it's essentially new.

C|