PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Help

Pico
06-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Need Input and Help from you guys.
On my 89 LX-i, the other day the battery was dead and had to charge the battery, car starts and runs fine. Alternator is putting out at 13.5-14volts at the battery when the car is running.
I put a load test on the battery and it's good.
When I turn on the rear defroster, or turn on the lights the radio cuts off and the interior lights dim.
I don't show any current draw at the battery when I turn the anything on.
I've replaced the defrost switch and that wasn't the problem, Now could it be a bad ignition switch, bad turn signal assembly (the radio also cuts out when I turn the hazards on), or bad under hood fuse-box.
Let me have your suggestions because I'm about ready to take my dash out again and go thru the wiring behind the dash again.
Thanks
Roger

Pico
06-17-2010, 06:31 PM
anyone?

nswst8
06-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Check the contacts on the ignition switch first, then I'd check the turn signal assembly. It sounds like poor contact. The turn signal assembly could be interferring with the ignition switch assembly.

itzdave
06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
alternator?

nswst8
06-18-2010, 12:02 AM
"When I turn on the rear defroster, or turn on the lights the radio cuts off and the interior lights dim."

This is the suspect statement: Inspect the underdash wiring harness, you'll have to trace back each of these to see if you have an contact short.

89T
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
almost sounds like a bad ground or cable.

2ndGenGuy
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Do you have another battery you can try in the car? I would try that before you tear the dash out. I know you did the load test and all, but sometimes test equipment can't properly replicate real world conditions.

lostforawhile
06-18-2010, 02:48 PM
have you checked all the grounds? have the alternator tested to see how much current it's putting out, but it really sounds like a ground wire.

Pico
06-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Check the contacts on the ignition switch first, then I'd check the turn signal assembly. It sounds like poor contact. The turn signal assembly could be interferring with the ignition switch assembly.

alternator?
Ok
So far I've replaced the underhood fuse box and installed another alternator, still no luck. Problem still there.
I picked up a new ign. switch at work tonight, gonna try that first thing tomorrow.
Thanks Phil and Dave

"When I turn on the rear defroster, or turn on the lights the radio cuts off and the interior lights dim."

This is the suspect statement: Inspect the underdash wiring harness, you'll have to trace back each of these to see if you have an contact short.
I have a complete spare dash harness in storage, I may just unplug the current one and plug the spare in

almost sounds like a bad ground or cable.

have you checked all the grounds? have the alternator tested to see how much current it's putting out, but it really sounds like a ground wire.
Thanks Jerry and Tim

Checked all grounds and rechecked still no luck.
Alternator tested good, infact both of the ones I have were good.

Do you have another battery you can try in the car? I would try that before you tear the dash out. I know you did the load test and all, but sometimes test equipment can't properly replicate real world conditions.

Just replaced the battery a few weeks ago John with this one (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1018944&postcount=1205) I'm hoping that is not the problem.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Pico
06-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I replaced the ignition switch after checking it like Phil suggested and had a nice burn spot on it.
Car is up and running.
Thanks Again
And here's the burnt part of the switch
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/2010%20Pictures/100_4158.jpg

nswst8
06-19-2010, 04:51 PM
What did I win?

Pico
06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
What did I win?
YOU WIN..........
Satisfaction in knowing you we're right on the money.
Thanks Phil :cheers:

w261w261
06-19-2010, 05:56 PM
At this stage of our cars' lives, the ignition switch, main relay, driver's window relay, coolant sensor by thermostat, and the turn signal / light switch have already failed or are about to.

AccordB20A
06-19-2010, 07:15 PM
it almost makes me want to install relays on my ign switch wiring so i dont wear my good one out by drawing current through it.

MessyHonda
06-20-2010, 12:22 AM
woot...now we can have a meet to take pics

nswst8
06-20-2010, 07:41 AM
YOU WIN..........
Satisfaction in knowing you we're right on the money.
Thanks Phil :cheers:

I wanted a cookie!

FederalSecurity
06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Perfect timing on this thread. For the last few days I've been having the

same problem. The very first thing that I noticed was the battery light near

the gauges flickering on and off. The second thing that happened was my

CD player cutting out. The check engine light coming on was the third thing

I noticed...and the next stop sign I came to was when the car died and

wouldn't start.

This thread makes perfect sense to me because the alternator was replaced

a couple of weeks ago when I had to have the car towed to the nearest