PDA

View Full Version : Head cracked... Suggestions?

Haxxorz
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
So as the title states, the head on my accord is cracked. I drove while my thermostat was broken (I didn't know it at the time) and I think it got too hot. Even after I figured out what the problem was and replaced the thermostat it was getting hot so I figured i needed to get my radiator flushed out. And when the guy checked it out he found exhaust leaking into the cooling system...awesome. Soooo here's the question, What should I do?
-Try to find another car?
-Try and replace the head with all that entails?
oooor
-Swap another engine in?

Input would be greatly appreciated
-Hax

stephensimmons
06-22-2010, 07:08 PM
So as the title states, the head on my accord is cracked. I drove while my thermostat was broken (I didn't know it at the time) and I think it got too hot. Even after I figured out what the problem was and replaced the thermostat it was getting hot so I figured i needed to get my radiator flushed out. And when the guy checked it out he found exhaust leaking into the cooling system...awesome. Soooo here's the question, What should I do?
-Try to find another car?
-Try and replace the head with all that entails?
oooor
-Swap another engine in?

Input would be greatly appreciated
-Hax

Anouther car would be MY last option. If you can find an engine with low miles then go for it or get a reman! IF you swap the head and dont change your rings and rod and main bearing and oil pump ATLEAST you will be sorry also!

Dr_Snooz
06-22-2010, 08:01 PM
How's the rest of the car? Is it all kinda sad or is it just a bad head?

Haxxorz
06-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I think its just the head, It was running fantastic before the thermostat died on me. I don't know if the overheating caused other things to go bad as well as the head. I would drive for a couple minutes and stop and let it cool when I didn't know it was the thermostat making it heat up. so it got hot several times.

I'm going to look into getting a new head (or a used one?) a head kit aaaand anything else i might need to replace.

2ndGenGuy
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Anouther car would be MY last option. If you can find an engine with low miles then go for it or get a reman! IF you swap the head and dont change your rings and rod and main bearing and oil pump ATLEAST you will be sorry also!

Wait, what? Why?

I've heard of valve jobs on high mileage motors causing increased compression on worn rings, thus blowing them out. But I've not heard of the main bearing thing? Same idea? Increased stresses on the stock bearings? I would think the bearings and oil pump would hold up okay. I'd also think a similar used head in good, serviceable condition would be just fine. But I dunno.

2drSE-i
06-22-2010, 09:14 PM
If you've overheated you probably need to pull the whole motor out. Gotta make sure you didnt warp the block. A low mileage engine might be a more economical solution.

Demon1024
06-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Check compression on each cylinder to determine where the problem is

take off the head and look at the gasket see if it blew out or the head warped by checking with a flat edge. check the block as well. You probably just warped the head.
The blocks on these are pretty tough. I've cooked mine a couple times when i first got it not knowing the fans weren't coming on

stat1K
06-23-2010, 12:23 PM
If you've overheated you probably need to pull the whole motor out. Gotta make sure you didnt warp the block. A low mileage engine might be a more economical solution.

i'm sorry duder but i lol'd.

warping a cast iron block is funny to me. now if this were an F/H/B/K/D alright, but the block is more than likely fine. if you cracked the head then it heated pretty well and i would assume an entire engine overhaul would be in order.

might as well when it's out.

if it's a DX i'd just do the entire FI swap when the motors out and be done with that too. If you have the money then just do an FI swap and a B-Swap at the same time, hell why not.

bryan42688
06-23-2010, 12:40 PM
well i would first off check and make sure its just not ablown head gasket same thing happened to me

w261w261
06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
www.moroso.com ceramic sealer. Follow instructions re flushing . Give it shot. You have nothing to lose if you're talking an engine swap. It costs like $20.

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm with stat1K. I doubt the cast iron block is warped. The head will *typically* warp and you'll break down long before anything happens to the block. But I suppose it COULD happen. Check it with a precision straight edge after you pull the head off. I've redone the head on a badly overheated D-series before, and the block was just fine.

stat1K
06-23-2010, 02:52 PM
i have too, head was warped block was fine, mainly just needed to get the graphite gasket off, hate those things.

2drSE-i
06-23-2010, 03:03 PM
While unlikely, I don't think its too far-fetched to say that the block could warp. If the head warped so bad it cracked, it is plausible.

stat1K
06-23-2010, 05:30 PM
the head is aluminum. aluminum is not a metal that fatigues well, it is MUCH weaker than iron, steel, or cast iron. that's why the a20 block is capable of taking a decent amount of boost and a d16 is not.