PDA

View Full Version : Going lower :)

JDM A20_Sedan CA5
06-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I wanna go lower but i cant lol. Reason why is that my upper controller arm is already touching the fender well/ chassis. Any ideas what I can do besides cutting a hole or banging it up?

Hondamonster
06-26-2010, 01:51 PM
chop it out dude. thats what i did. only other way is to cut a section out of your knuckle below the ball joint and weld it back together.

Hauntd ca3
06-27-2010, 01:13 AM
going any lower than 4 inch ground clearance to the chassis rails is dangerous unless all the roads you drive on are billiard table smooth.
fine to sit it on its arse for a car show, but for normal use its just dodgy imo

JDM A20_Sedan CA5
06-27-2010, 09:32 AM
going any lower than 4 inch ground clearance to the chassis rails is dangerous unless all the roads you drive on are billiard table smooth.
fine to sit it on its arse for a car show, but for normal use its just dodgy imo

LOL you serious telling me whats dangerous? Im in SD where hella flush is hot right now. no matter the roads or speedbumps here, If you dont stratch going straight, you aint low enough. You need to come here and check it out!

Hondamonster
06-27-2010, 01:17 PM

hahahahahaaaaaa riiiight. dude, i'm at like an inch and a half, MAYBE 2 inches to frame on level ground, and going lower. only dangerous in the rain. you just have to know how to avoid things. and its all about the angles for transitions up and down things.

and no, the roads aren't smoothe here.

LOL you serious telling me whats dangerous? Im in SD where hella flush is hot right now. no matter the roads or speedbumps here, If you dont stratch going straight, you aint low enough. You need to come here and check it out!

AGREEED. <3 stanceworks.

cubert
06-27-2010, 01:45 PM

:rolleyes:

Hauntd ca3
06-27-2010, 10:15 PM
its just not good having bugger all suspension travel. cars have suspension, not only to provide a comfy ride , but to save the car from the shock stresses from big bumps.
you guys would last bout 2 minutes here and the cops would impound your cars for being unsafe.
you guys are just up for honourable mentions in the darwin awards.
i 've driven cars as low as yours at work, and they are uncofortable, look gay as big gay al and handle like shit.
even F1 cars have more ground clearance than 2 inches

Hondamonster
06-28-2010, 10:23 AM
don't get butthurt bro, if you don't like low, you probably shouldn't be in this thread. shock stress? done. raised the towers. geometry? mehhh still handles fine. i flipped my roll bar to the underside of the lca's and the camber is actually good for handling (to an extent, yeah, but as long as we're arguing about it, i'll count what i've got as a plus) and my center of gravity is way down.

my car actually rides quite nicely since i'm on quality suspension components that have been adapted to work at this height. and it looks gay as big gay al? yeah, thats an opinion, and this thread is titled "going lower" so again, maybe not your thread?

blazin3gen
06-28-2010, 05:29 PM
lol!^^

i was gonna say if u wanna go lower Hondamonster is your man lol

Hondamonster
06-28-2010, 10:56 PM
thats how i dooooo

labeledsk8r
06-28-2010, 11:20 PM
oh lord a hella flush thread on 3geez. i need to go shoot myself in the face

Hauntd ca3
06-28-2010, 11:25 PM
i am getting a bit shitty because of the arseholes over here dumping so low that a scissor jack wont get under the car and using chopped springs or coil overs set way to low have fucked the scene for those of us that are sensible with our modding. a year aog in my town, a car load of kids died from going to fast on to low suspension, hit a bump and turned the civic they were in into something that looked like a coke can that was shot with a 12 gauge.
and of course, those of us that do it by the law( your laws are no where near as strict as ours obviously) wore the thick end of the stick and are suffering because of a couple fucking it up for the rest of us.
i dont want to see you guys end up in a box from taking looking "cool" and apparently "handling better" to silly extents>
i'd rather be uncool and safe than cool and dead or in a chair.
thats all i'm trying to get across

frantik
06-29-2010, 12:38 AM
slam that shit is what i say :rockon:

DrGenerico
06-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Why do you have to break balls? Dude might be a Californian but that doesn't warrant disrespect. As someone who lives on the southern Oregon coast we hold our own hating on the hipster cali d-bags that roll through in their daddy's corvettes and porsches, at least this guy knows what he's doing enough to lower the car himself, and I've met engineers that can't spell.

Civic Accord Honda
06-29-2010, 12:06 PM

:facepalm:

Hondamonster
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
oh lord a hella flush thread on 3geez. i need to go shoot myself in the face
nahhh its not worth your life, just keep your wheel gap and rock what you like. you don't like dump? or flush fitment? cool by me! you won't catch me bash on people with sunk wheels or wheel gap just because they don't scrape. if they like it, then word.

i am getting a bit shitty because of the arseholes over here dumping so low that a scissor jack wont get under the car and using chopped springs or coil overs set way to low have fucked the scene for those of us that are sensible with our modding. a year aog in my town, a car load of kids died from going to fast on to low suspension, hit a bump and turned the civic they were in into something that looked like a coke can that was shot with a 12 gauge.
and of course, those of us that do it by the law( your laws are no where near as strict as ours obviously) wore the thick end of the stick and are suffering because of a couple fucking it up for the rest of us.
i dont want to see you guys end up in a box from taking looking "cool" and apparently "handling better" to silly extents>
i'd rather be uncool and safe than cool and dead or in a chair.
thats all i'm trying to get across
slammed =/= dead. and "sensible mods" is relative and opinion based. nobody is forcing you to lower your car more. no reason for drama man.

slam that shit is what i say :rockon:
whoop

Why do you have to break balls? Dude might be a Californian but that doesn't warrant disrespect. As someone who lives on the southern Oregon coast we hold our own hating on the hipster cali d-bags that roll through in their daddy's corvettes and porsches, at least this guy knows what he's doing enough to lower the car himself, and I've met engineers that can't spell.
yeah man i agree. it isn't even about cali. its just the new thing thats becoming popular, and like body kits or spoilers or "jdm" stuff or any other fad, its getting hate. its just a movement. not giving anybody a bad name. especially those who stand up for "imports". TONS of different crowds are in on fitment right now. its just a style. just respect each other is all i'm sayin

Civic Accord Honda
06-29-2010, 03:36 PM
haha your car pulls it off honda monster.... its the only honda i like with it lol,
the only other cars i like with stretch is 80s vdubs

Hondamonster
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
so i getz no fcplm?

Civic Accord Honda
06-30-2010, 12:50 AM
so i getz no fcplm?

your car gets a :thumbup: from me!

it makes me happy like my sig :D

Hauntd ca3
06-30-2010, 01:30 AM
i'm not trying to break his nuts eh.
i'm 3/4 of the way through a mechanics apprenticeship and auto electrical apprenticeship so i get to see the shit that people try to sneak through inspection. and of course i get to see the shit that happens to the cars by people modding in what we would deem illegal ways, even if the lowering is done with good quality parts.
especially coil overs,not cheap e bay collars and springs, but everywhich way adjustable, konis,bilsteins etc.

Lil Mike
06-30-2010, 04:00 AM
i'm not trying to break his nuts eh.
i'm 3/4 of the way through a mechanics apprenticeship and auto electrical apprenticeship so i get to see the shit that people try to sneak through inspection. and of course i get to see the shit that happens to the cars by people modding in what we would deem illegal ways, even if the lowering is done with good quality parts.
especially coil overs,not cheap e bay collars and springs, but everywhich way adjustable, konis,bilsteins etc.

i know where i dont want to live, i love wheel fitment it makes the car i think. all about being flush as fsck. slam that 3gee, if only i could do i with my 2gee and winter drive it lol.

i ride decent fitment, i think the car rides great and handles good. i would love to go lower but ill start to rub to much on the front.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs547.ash1/31982_401867720665_523880665_4883671_3332657_n.jpg

how it stands now.

Hondamonster
06-30-2010, 07:49 AM
haha cah... thats a little... unexpected. i always wondered about that sig lol

sick '40 lil mike

cubert
06-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Dont get me wrong...i absolutely loved slammed cars...

But when you make a dipshit response like "I d0 it Cuz thE peePz in My CitieZ doeS it"...youre a fucking tool...end of story.

Hauntd ca3
07-01-2010, 01:32 AM
i know where i dont want to live, i love wheel fitment it makes the car i think. all about being flush as fsck. slam that 3gee, if only i could do i with my 2gee and winter drive it lol.

i ride decent fitment, i think the car rides great and handles good. i would love to go lower but ill start to rub to much on the front.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs547.ash1/31982_401867720665_523880665_4883671_3332657_n.jpg

how it stands now.

i wouldnt call that nissan to low. its prob bout the limit as far as the laws here go, but its the ones that look like they may as well have taken the springs out of the car that really piss me off when they say " it looks cool" or "it makes it handle better"
those are the pricks that really get my goat.
in reality, the cars handle like shit and look like arse.
the owners need to spend some time either researching suspension and how it works, or go spend a bit of time at the local race track sorting their shit out.
brakes need a good amount of suspension travel to get the most out of them and so does the steering .
being low dosent mean it handles well.
if the suspension doesnt allow you to make the most of all aspects of a cars braking,acceleration and cornering, its not worth doing.

Hondamonster
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
its the ones that look like they may as well have taken the springs out of the car that really piss me off when they say " it looks cool" or "it makes it handle better"
those are the pricks that really get my goat.

who'se doing that in this thread? nobody said it handles better at extreme lows. however, after having ridden in and driven (and owned for that matter) cars at extreme lows i can say with complete confidence that it does not by any means prevent a car from handling fantastically. but ok, since you know everything about suspension, we'll agree to disagree on that one. sure bro, all low cars handle like shit. you win. :|

in reality, the cars handle like shit and look like arse.

smell that? smells like pure opinion. on both counts. and your opinion, like everyone else's, smells like asshole. to drop opinion out of the equation, i'll say this. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. if the person who owns the car thinks it looks better slammed, guess what... it does. to them. and thats all that maters when building a car.

the owners need to spend some time either researching suspension and how it works, or go spend a bit of time at the local race track sorting their shit out.

if they're building a dedicated race car, maybe. but i bet not everybody that slams a car is doing that with it, so no, they don't "need" to go spend time at the track sorting their shit out.

brakes need a good amount of suspension travel to get the most out of them and so does the steering .

where are you getting this info dude? brakes and steering can be set up to account for low ride heights. how many drift cars do you see with wheel gap?? and they can steer and brake.

being low dosent mean it handles well.

wow. one statement that by itself, isn't an opinion or incorrect. but low can handle.

if the suspension doesnt allow you to make the most of all aspects of a cars braking,acceleration and cornering, its not worth doing.

oopppiiiinnnniiioooonnnnnnnn. god, you're being so one sided. its seriously agrivating. not going to say you don't know what you're talking about, because you have to have some idea of travel and suspension geometry to make half the claims you're just throwing around, but you definately aren't on point either.

Hauntd ca3
07-02-2010, 01:51 AM
i never said all low cars handle like shit, i was trying to say that the ones that pretty much have there frame rails scraping the ground most likely , and its prob a fair bet that they do, handle pretty poorly.

yes that is my opinion that the ground scrapers look like arse.
i'm not a fan of the look.
and in my experiance of working on such cars in my line of work, they tend to handle that way to.
i've driven very few of these cars that do handle well.
but as you say beauty is in the eye, so we can agree on that much.

as for researching before doing the work, i stand by that.
even just talking to a reputable suspension shop bout what the best options are and what they'd recommend is better than alot of people that just buy cheap coil overs, wind them to full low and wind up the damping to full hard.
if you have good adjustable coil overs, doing a track day and asking the right people the right questions will get you great gains, or a performance driving school that lets you drive your own car. there are plenty of those around these days.
you do some research before you built a big horsepower motor wouldnt you?

as for the drift car bit, they arnt designed to brake terribly hard in the grand scheme of things. well, the compnants are designed for it, but they arnt used to the best of what they are capable of.
you'd prob find if any of the drifters tried a proper circuit style race, they would all end up raising the car up and softening the suspension before the day was out and be considerably faster over a lap .
ever watched a tarmac rally, that would be the more relavent example i should have used for steering and braking.

yes i know low can handle, but only to a point eh.

and the last point, yeah i'm opinionated on wanting to get the best out of my suspension, and my car in general. if it dosnt do the job in the manner i want it to, it dont go on the car.
i know i'm one sided, and sorry if that pisses you off, but as i have said, isee alot of poorly modified suspension and cars in general in my line of work, and it quite frankly makes me sick that teh kids that do this , do it because its the thing to do with out thinking about how it effects the way the car handles. half of them dont even worry bout a wheel alignment and end up with just the steel belt keeping them moving.
i'm not saying dont mod cars, i'm just trying to say do it safely and think about how it effects other aspects of how the car works as a package.
i'm all for modding cars, i've never not left a car standard, i just believe in doing it safely, thats all

Hondamonster
07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
alright then. you just come off like a purist who hates people who modify suspension. and again, not everybody is looking for a race car. its got a lot to do with the styling. as far as i can tell from lurking around on this site, i'm kinda bringing something new to the table, and even if you don't like it, recognition for our cars is unarguably a good thing. may not be your preffered recognition, but when my car hits ia 2010, people are going to notice it. ride height, wheel setup, "stance" ... its the new popular thing. you don't have to like it. i'll agree with you on this- if i were to build a car for handling performance, it would be nowhere near as low as my accord. take my prelude for instance... high quality adjustable perches on staggered spring rates and tokico hps all around, 4ws i installed myself, modified uca slots to even out the camber for less negative camber since it pulled them in from the drop (about 2 inches), corner balanced and aligned by a master tech i know, bushings, etc etc etc... i know what i'm doing and i have a strong understanding of suspension workings. i just use that knowledge a little differently for this chassis since the main goal for my build is stance and low. and i make it work the way suspension is supposed to. it seems we both know suspension and just vary as far as opinion on certain points. i vote we keep the peace and leave it at that.

Hauntd ca3
07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
yes i am more of the purist "function over form" type, but i dont hate people that go belly dragging low in modding the suspension, i just have dislike lets say of the form over function. i'm just the if it dont improve the overall package, dont do it.
like sticking a big cam in a motor with out doing the exhaust and doing a carb swap/rejet or aftermarket ecu.....
agree on voting to keep peace and leaving it at that.

09-17-2010, 02:48 PM

how it stands now.

Is this thing even lowerd :ugh2:

SZfiftyfour
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
ibtl

Is this thing even lowerd :ugh2:
Dude... :slap:

ShyBoyCA6
09-17-2010, 08:49 PM
im going lower on mine:D but only 2.5" on weapon r coilvers with bilstien shocks when the money for the shocks come in :thumbsup:

and wow this thread has been nothing but fighting. Im not agreeing with nobody on that but if you just here to talk smack on a lower car thread then you pretty much don't belong in this thread so just keep your opinions to yourself and don't post smack is all i gotta say.

Hondamaster your car is by far the lowest ive seen so kudos it really suits your car stance:cool: