PDA

View Full Version : 1987 accord lxi wont start

hersheys87
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
one night at the store it wouldnt start. after 3 weeks of sittin when i was about to junk it. i tried it n it started rite up but ran and misfired really bad. started up a few times after that. but wouldnt start again. i was about to get the fuel pump replaced but the man who was gonna do it tried to steal my part. so i pushed it to my aunts house n i decided to mess wit the ignition i touched something n i tried to start it again n it started after 1 failed attempt. i replaced the spark plugs wires distrib cap n rotor and it ran great 4 a week n then it wouldnt start again what is my problem

1ajs
06-26-2010, 06:18 PM
check you ground wires one of them might be just sitting there or your ignition switch is worn and needs replacing

hersheys87
06-26-2010, 07:05 PM
i dont kno what wires that would b im kinda learning as i go

1ajs
06-27-2010, 07:39 AM
theres a wire bolted to the top of ur motor that mounts to the front of the engin bay above the rad check that

also how dirty are your fuel filters?

hersheys87
06-27-2010, 09:02 AM
K i kno what wire that is. But i dont kno where my fuel filters are i looked under the driver side but i dont c any thing unless unless what im cn is an access panel or sumthin n my fuel pump only whirl sumtimes but i do smell gas after have tried to start it a few times but it sounds like it not gettin any gas. N should i replace dis wire or what? Thanks

1ajs
06-27-2010, 12:39 PM
K i kno what wire that is. But i dont kno where my fuel filters are i looked under the driver side but i dont c any thing unless unless what im cn is an access panel or sumthin n my fuel pump only whirl sumtimes but i do smell gas after have tried to start it a few times but it sounds like it not gettin any gas. N should i replace dis wire or what? Thanks

i am going based on fractured bits but what ur aying now definatly sounds like a failing fuel pump

theres a filter where the line comes into the engine bay and one in the "rear wheel well area" witch you should change

hersheys87
06-27-2010, 03:15 PM
k im gonna replace da fuel pump n get a new filter n it only seems to start trippen at 1/2 a tank

Oldblueaccord
06-28-2010, 05:12 AM
I am guessing you have a carb. Try keeping your gas cap loose and see if that might help it. Also make sure your choke is open when your car is hot and not slipping shut when you goto start it hot.

wp

hersheys87
06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
No its fuel injected. Does it still have a choke

Legend_master
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
No its fuel injected. Does it still have a choke

No choke on a fuel injected car. Ive said this a thousand times, but Ill say it again. You should make sure it's not the main fuel pump relay first. Try turning the ignition to the spot right before you start cranking the engine (ACC), Listen for a click from under the dash (behind the fuse box), and then you should hear the fuel pump prime(kinda of a humming noise). If you don't hear that, it could be the relay. If you could get your hand on top of the relay, you can actually feel the relay click if its working.

ShyBoyCA6
06-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Fuel system check list:
1.Check for clogged fuel filter
2.Check fuel pump fuse
3.Check fuel pump main relay

Check those first

And if I were you I would inspect the fuel pump,filters and strainer and see the condition of the parts if they look old they need to be replaced with new ones. Especially the fuel filter and strainer<located inside the gas tank.

I changed every part in my fuel system to make sure I keep track when I changed so I know what would need to be changed if I have a problem. That's just me though

hersheys87
06-30-2010, 11:01 AM
i can feel da relay click. But i dont hear da humming. I even tried to hook up the new pump n i still didnt hear anything or c the pump cum on n i kno it works cause i tested it on the battery n it came on .n a few times i didnt feel the relay click on

hersheys87
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
i resoldered da main relay and changed da fuel pump. I can feel da relay clickin again but i still dont hear da fuel pump cum on. Rpmh goes up to about 800 n i replaced da coolant temp sensor. Since my ecu was blinkin 6 times and it still wont start .i was gonna replace da fuel filter but i think i have da wrong one i believe da 1 i need is slim and da one i have is kinda fat n short please help me its drivin me crazy

Oldblueaccord
07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.drivewire.com/images/shop/prodimage/images/WORLDPAC/W01331841694ATS.JPG

www.rockauto.com for pictures and stuff there real good.

its under the hood passenger side on the firewall.

Carefully you can put some fuel into the intake and see if the car will just fire. You need spark and fuel at the correct time for a car to start. Not a whole lot to it. Hang in there.

I still think the relay is bad. You can use a 12volt test light to see if you have voltage at a wire at the fuel pump it self. there very handy,and cheap, for cars.

wp

hersheys87
07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
i replaced the relay n the car still wont start. The pump isnt gettin any power. Is that the only fuel filter i have the one n the pic but i thought it was suppose to b one located near the tank . And does it matter if i dont bolt the relay n it is very hard to get back n

Jajle
07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
i replaced the relay n the car still wont start. The pump isnt gettin any power. Is that the only fuel pump i have the one n the pic but i thought it was suppose to b one located near the tank

That's not a fuel pump, that'd be a fuel filter. Your fuel pump should look like this.

http://www.japanautoteile.de/parts/files/pics/127155.jpg

And it should be located in the trunk right above the gas tank. Unless it's different for LX-i than SE-i.

hersheys87
07-15-2010, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jajle;1026927]That's not a fuel pump, that'd be a fuel filter. Your fuel pump should look like this.

http://www.japanautoteile.de/parts/files/pics/127155.jpg

And it should be located in the trunk right above the gas tank. Unless it's different for LX-i than SE-i.[/QU yea my fuel pump looks like dat

hersheys87
07-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Da auto part store gave me the main relay for a dx and not a lxi so hopefully when i go get the correct one she will start up. I hope so cause not havin a car is a big drag.

Bluntman
07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Da auto part store gave me the main relay for a dx and not a lxi so hopefully when i go get the correct one she will start up. I hope so cause not havin a car is a big drag.

Autozone carries the factory Mitsuba Main Relay RZ-0028 that came in these vehicles. It is Part#19235 at Autozone. The only reason I would ever say Autozone is because it is the factory original and not a knock off. It will come in a Duralast box. And should look like this.
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/12/59/29/63/main10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=745&u=12592963)

hersheys87
07-26-2010, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=Bluntman;1027279]Autozone carries the factory Mitsuba Main Relay RZ-0028 that came in these vehicles. It is Part#19235 at Autozone. The only reason I would ever say Autozone is because it is the factory original and not a knock off. It will come in a Duralast box. And should look like this.
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/12/59/29/63/main10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=745&u=12592963)[/QU autozone hade a fuse i even used da part number u gave me it was n a durlast box but wasnt the main relay the stated that they dont carry that part at all i guess i gotta go to honda

Legend_master
07-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Actually u could solder the one u have. It's very easy, just take the black cover from the top, then re-solder all the leads on the bottom of the exposed circuit board. Very simple, and only takes an hour depending our your soldering skills.

Bluntman
07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Bluntman;1027279]Autozone carries the factory Mitsuba Main Relay RZ-0028 that came in these vehicles. It is Part#19235 at Autozone. The only reason I would ever say Autozone is because it is the factory original and not a knock off. It will come in a Duralast box. And should look like this.
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/12/59/29/63/main10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=745&u=12592963)[/QU autozone hade a fuse i even used da part number u gave me it was n a durlast box but wasnt the main relay the stated that they dont carry that part at all i guess i gotta go to honda
They lie!!!!!!!!!!! I just pulled up 88LXi, but it is the same for yours. I have bought more than one there. Hell print this out and take it with you. There website is screwed up at Autozone under 87 LXi it only showed a fuel cut off relay which is wrong for FI. So just go back and ask for 88 LXi main Relay. Print and take this with you from there site.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1988-Honda-Accord/Relay-Main/_/N-ii131Z9cjg2

And here is the NAPA part # for 87 LXi http://www.dmauto.com/web/dmauto/Catalog/NAPA_ECAT/mfg/ECH/AR333/

w261w261
07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
i resoldered da main relay and changed da fuel pump. I can feel da relay clickin again but i still dont hear da fuel pump cum on. Rpmh goes up to about 800 n i replaced da coolant temp sensor. Since my ecu was blinkin 6 times and it still wont start .i was gonna replace da fuel filter but i think i have da wrong one i believe da 1 i need is slim and da one i have is kinda fat n short please help me its drivin me crazy

Just curious....do you talk like you write?

hersheys87
07-28-2010, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=w261w261;1028728]Just curious....do you talk like you write?[/QU. Yep. but i can switch it up if needed. I dont need proper grammer to post.

hersheys87
07-31-2010, 12:47 PM
i ran a wire from the battery to the pump n i can hear fuel goin to the engine but it still wont star t what could it b

Oldblueaccord
07-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Make sure you have spark at the plugs as well. You need fuel spark at the correct time to make it run. The relay also controls the spark as well.

wp

LX-incredible
07-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Main relay controls more then da pump mon.

hersheys87
08-15-2010, 10:36 AM
i replaced da main relay wit da one from honda n its still doin da same thang. New relay n tw sensor . Im bout to loose it. I need da car to work i need transportation to get me n my baby back to school i need help what else can it b . Do i need to bolt the relay back n. S.O.S please

Legend_master
08-15-2010, 11:37 AM
i replaced da main relay wit da one from honda n its still doin da same thang. New relay n tw sensor . Im bout to loose it. I need da car to work i need transportation to get me n my baby back to school i need help what else can it b . Do i need to bolt the relay back n. S.O.S please

It dosent matter if it is bolted in place or not.

Oldblueaccord
08-15-2010, 11:51 AM
If you have fuel,meaning the fuel pump runs, I would look at seeing if you have spark when It wont start.

Does all your dash lights light off when your cranking? The ignition switch might be going bad.

wp

hersheys87
08-15-2010, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Oldblueaccord;1031036]If you have fuel,meaning the fuel pump runs, I would look at seeing if you have spark when It wont start.

Does all your dash lights light off when your cranking? The ignition switch might be going bad.

wp[/QU all the lights stay lit up when i try to start it but i dont hear da fuel pump cum on but i kno it works. Would i change jus the ignition or do i have to change the wires thats on it as well

Oldblueaccord
08-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Its really your key switch that goes bad sometimes. It unplugs somewhere under the steering column. I never have changed one myself I had my Honda mechanic do it for me years ago.

You can try running a jumper wire to the + side of the coil and one to the fuel pump and see if it starts. You can also jump out the main relay post it would kinda do the same thing.

I am going on the fact that your car starts cold but not hot correct?

Also make sure you changed out the correct TW sensor. One controls the fuel based on temp. the other controls the on/off the fans and the single wire is just for the temperature gauge.

wp

wp

stephensimmons
08-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Well SHE got it running! It lost power to the BL/Y going to the main relay Which is the same wire that powers the dizzy. The BL/Y wire comes from the ignition switch and goes to the dizzy and then to the main relay. BUT just before it gets to the main relay it has a fuse in it that had blown. I know your going to say she shoulda checked that first but she had bout 3 MECANICS look at the car and even charged her and didnt see it or they just wanted to rip her off i dont know. But after talking with HER on the phone for about 2 hours and having HER run a wire from the battery to a few things including the main relay we figured it out And SHE got it running! YES I said SHE! You all know that WE dont have many women that like our cars (meaning 3geez) well she dose! She is no dummy by far just needed a little explaining on how it all works. So if she asks ya'll for help please just try to help her out even if you have repeted it 100xs already because she might not know what your talking about or what shes looking at but if you help her to understand she can do it!

PS. Sorry for the rant!

Oldblueaccord
08-18-2010, 08:46 AM
So its hersheys car that is running right ? or am I confused.

Anyway good its going. I guess jumping out the main relay would have been the test for that and checking all the fuse one more time.

wp

stephensimmons
08-21-2010, 06:56 AM
So its hersheys car that is running right ? or am I confused.

Anyway good its going. I guess jumping out the main relay would have been the test for that and checking all the fuse one more time.

wp

Yes her(Hersheys) car is running now. And yes I had her to jump out the main relay and after jumping out the black/yellow wire it started. Thats when I had her check her fuses again that she had 3 machanics check already and she found the blown one.