PDA

View Full Version : Recommend CV boot repair kit?

joebeets
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I have a torn outer cv boot on the passenger side. I'm having my auto trans replaced soon and wonder if I should have a boot kit installed at the same time. No noises. Is this a simple job? Or will the labor costs make it more economical to replace the entire axle?

THX

Dr_Snooz
06-26-2010, 07:37 PM
If the axles are making noise when you turn, then you should replace them. If you replace the boots promptly when they tear, the axles will last for a very long time. It depends on your situation, but I'd do whatever is cheapest. Axles used to be real cheap, but they've gone up lately.

MessyHonda
06-28-2010, 12:14 AM
trust me you will want to replace it...i know they cost alot but its worth it.

carotman
06-28-2010, 05:16 AM
Replacing the boot is really easy once the transmission is out.

I would just get the boot replaced if the axle isn't making any noise yet.

Bluntman
06-28-2010, 05:21 AM
I personally just replace the axle. Here are NAPA part numbers and retail prices so you can get a idea of prices. The axles have gone up in price as Snooz said.
http://www.dmauto.com/web/dmauto/Catalog/NAPA_ECAT/1988/Honda+++++++++++++++++++++++++/Accord++++++++++++++++++++++++/2.0+L+1955+CC+L4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/8/8008/

And here are the NAPA boot retail prices. To me it is easier to just replace the axle. After spending money on the boots and the tearing a dirty axle apart to do just the boots and grease, you may be happy with the less mess of just putting in another axle.
http://www.dmauto.com/web/dmauto/Catalog/NAPA_ECAT/1988/Honda+++++++++++++++++++++++++/Accord++++++++++++++++++++++++/2.0+L+1955+CC+L4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/8/8002/

joebeets
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies and useful info. Chances are I won't have the car for much longer, so I'm inclined toward a $25 boot over a $100 axle, if labor will not be a factor.

gtmst3
06-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies and useful info. Chances are I won't have the car for much longer, so I'm inclined toward a $25 boot over a $100 axle, if labor will not be a factor.

at autozone there 60$

carotman
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM

Well, to remove the transmission, they have to get the axle out so you won't be paying labor on an axle replacement.

However, if you want them to replace the boot and clean the inside of the joint, you're going to pay for labor.

In this case, it all depends on how much is a replacement axle vs a new boot+labor.

joebeets
06-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Hmm. If axle replacement labor is zero, then a $60 axle sounds better.

ecogabriel
07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
It is not that difficult to replace the CV boot once the axle is out of the vehicle. I don't know if there is a way to get the outer joint out without disassembling the inner one. I could not find it so I went the long route of disassembling the inner joint too.

What you will need is a tool to tighten the boot clamps. I bought one and i used to replace boots in my civic and gayota.
My civic had both outer boots torn when I bought it (156K miles). I had to make do with split boots initially. I was able to get the proper boots installed a couple of years later. The car has now 213K and there are no noises coming from them.

On the other hand, if your car is already at the shop the mechanic will charge you labor for disassembling the axle, cleaning it up, and installing the cv boot (that assuming that he would be willing to do it)
It seems that getting a decent rebuilt axle would be better in your case.