PDA

View Full Version : interesting A/C comp

Xaisk
06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
So I recently bought the 10PA15E compressor. Remanufactured.

It works great but if you drop it from high setting to low, the compressor will turn off and on. Its very strange. Any ideas?

LX-incredible
06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
There is a thermo switch at the evaporator that switches the compressor to prevent icing when it gets too cold. You'll be able to hear it click on and off while driving. Normal with a lower fan speed or cooler outside temps.

Xaisk
06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Ah ok. thats very interesting, Thanks for the reply.

I thought something was wrong with it. It doesnt do it on the higher modes.. just when you drop it to low.

what a relief.

Another interesting Q about the AC system.

When running it, alot of water seems to drip down from under the evaporator. Im wondering if its condensation or something else. Logics dictate it cant be anything but condensation seeing as evaporator water would stink and refrigerant is a gas.

Im running my AC without any insulation on the metal pipes running through the engine bay. They probally build up alot of condensation and it runs through the firewall and drips down.

Sometimes when I cut the car off, and it only does this when its hot, youll hear a gurgling sound for like 2-4 seconds after you shut it off. More normal behavior?

LX-incredible
06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
The noise is normal. Just the remaining liquid refrigerant evaporating into a gas.

Is the water dripping inside the car? You may have forgotten to reconnect the drain tube to the bottom of the evaporator case or it may be clogged. There are seals at the firewall and the refrigerant tubes coming out of the evaporator case should be insulated to the fittings.

I recommend insulating the low side lines to increase performance and prolong compressor life.

Xaisk
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Haha come to think of it when I took that thing out there was a rubber hose that lead down to outside the car. That was most likely the drain hose, and most likely I did not put it back on.

Im definitely going to insulate the lines this Friday. Someone said split insulation and zip ties work great.

Thanks for the posts. This one can be locked.

DBMaster
06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I also bought some of that shiny mylar bubble-wrap type insulation at Home Depot and covered the outside of the evap housing last year. It really cuts down on the sounds and prevents any condensation on the evap housing.