PDA

View Full Version : Pulling engine

bushbean
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I got everything disconnect from the engine and transmission, and I'm ready to lift them out together. Do I need an extra man to help out? Or can I do this myself?

stephensimmons
06-29-2010, 06:44 PM
An extra person is always a plus but I've always done it alone but wished I had help.

Legend_master
06-29-2010, 07:57 PM
An extra person is always a plus but I've always done it alone but wished I had help.

Definitly is a good idea to have someone there (in case you smash your hand or something). I've done it alone as well, and it adds a level of difficulty with avoiding the brake lines on the firewall. You might consider removing the rear engine mount bracket if pulling alone. Makes it a little easier

A18A
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
i would recommend removing the motor so it lifts on a angle, like almost a 45 degree angle. i find it comes out easier like that :)

88lxi-shortram
07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
#1 rule is always have a partner... safety, and effieceny are key in doing this and you dont want to compromise either one

Dr_Snooz
07-04-2010, 07:15 AM
If you have a proper engine hoist (http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/shop-cranes/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html) (not a come-along attached to your garage rafters or somesuch), then you really only need a helper as an extra set of eyes to watch for stuff about to get broken. If you lift an inch, go check everything and then lift another inch, check everything, repeat, repeat until it's out, you won't need a helper. It will take 5x as long to pull it, but you can do it alone. You can drop it in alone too. It just takes a lot more time. The only place I've really, really needed helpers was for installing transmissions. Now that I have a proper trans jack (http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-3185.html), I can do that alone too.

88lxi-shortram
07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
you have a good point dude but even with the equipment i still would rather have an extra set of hands and eyes
but that may just be my opinion

import racer
07-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I've done it by myself outdoors in the driveway because i don't have a garage or building.It would be nice to have help,but I've learn to do things by myself because there is never anyone around when i need help.

bushbean
08-14-2010, 06:30 AM
I got the engine out by myself. But I think I broke the brake master cylinder and booster and one of the engine mount. Anyway, I took every mount and accessory off the engine and the cylinder head, and I got it down to just the short block with pistons and crank still inside. Piston number 2 and 3 are very loose, especially 2. This engine was blowing a lot of smoke. I wish to take the short block to a machine shop. Now, I just need to figure out how to load the short block into the back of my 3Gee by myself. It's still heavy.