PDA

View Full Version : taillight ideas

lostforawhile
06-30-2010, 04:08 PM
I have to take the covers off the hatch taillights anyway, because the set I got have mud inside of the housings , I have no idea, but it's an easy fix. this is just a mockup, the panel i have the lens in is cardboard, to see what it will look like, what do you think? of should i try find a set of square driving light lenses? I have a set of LED back up light bulbs, i'll mount them in the housings before I put in the reflectors. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4021501.jpg

import racer
06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Not bad,why is it only the hatchbacks have clear covers over the colored lights anyway.

lostforawhile
06-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Not bad,why is it only the hatchbacks have clear covers over the colored lights anyway.

just the design i guess, i can polish all the scratches out of the clear cover, really easy, i may end up spraying the inside with night shade, just a little bit darker

gp02a0083
07-01-2010, 05:31 AM
lost only use one coat at most 2 for the night shade that stuff sprays dark, IMO our cars are for the most part square i would keep with the rest of the body lines and try finding square lights. The one things that sucks about the hatch tails is the stress cracks , it annoys the hell outta me

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 05:51 AM
yea I think you are right, normally those square lights are everywhere, but when i need them, i can't find them

gp02a0083
07-01-2010, 10:00 AM
did you try looking at a tractor supply or trailer lights?

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
did you try looking at a tractor supply or trailer lights?

i'll have to look, what i need are a couple of small square clear driving lights, these replace the back up lights, i'm mounting LED backup bulbs in them. The rest of the lights will stay the same, this is just a minor modification,which makes the entire light look different , civic just blew a coolant hose so it will have to wait.

CzEcHy
07-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Go to Wal-Mart and buy some optronics driving lights.

15$, and they are small and square.

I use them on the front for driving/foglights, they use an H3 bulb so you will always find a bulb of any color. I wish my backup lights were as bright as them, they light up an area like 40Wx15H (feet..). So any walls behind you would be 100% visible, same with virtually anything else within like 5 feet from the lights

Edit - Here is a night time picture of them.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/czechy/DSC00330.jpg

gp02a0083
07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
they make a lot of the trailer lights with LEDS now but the intensity of the lights may be an issue

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 04:33 PM
they make a lot of the trailer lights with LEDS now but the intensity of the lights may be an issuethose would be way too big, the backup light is in the middle of the red lens, I think the optronics lights would work, I don't want to use the halogen bulbs in them, due to heat issues, it's hard enough to find hatch lights, I don't want to melt one. I was going to modify them with LED backup light bulbs and seal the entire thing in the light housing.

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Go to Wal-Mart and buy some optronics driving lights.

15$, and they are small and square.

I use them on the front for driving/foglights, they use an H3 bulb so you will always find a bulb of any color. I wish my backup lights were as bright as them, they light up an area like 40Wx15H (feet..). So any walls behind you would be 100% visible, same with virtually anything else within like 5 feet from the lights

Edit - Here is a night time picture of them.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/czechy/DSC00330.jpg

I can't find them anywhere, i have an area apx 3 3/4 X 3 1/2 to work with, what are the size of those, I can't find something like that even on ebay

labeledsk8r
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
What's rong with just puting leds in the stock taillight/back up light area?? That taillight looks mad ricey like that

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
What's rong with just puting leds in the stock taillight/back up light area?? That taillight looks mad ricey like that
well if I find a nice square one, it will look pretty much like it was factory, just different, the one in there I know doesn't look right, it was a concept at this stage, I was wanting to change the backup light from the diffused flat white light to a reflector type housing.

gp02a0083
07-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Lost try looking into this place called McMaster-Çarr

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Lost try looking into this place called McMaster-Çarr

I have a catalog, as well as a new MSC catalog, they have fog lamps?

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
MSC didn't have anything, I'll keep my eyes open, i think a set of square ones set into an aluminum panel fit in there, would look like a factory part.

ShyBoyCA6
07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
should of posted this thread sooner lost just so happens i had a pair of square fogs and i was giving them away for free but no one wanted them so i threw them away in the trash

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71283

CzEcHy
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM
I know for sure the Wal-Mart here still sells them..

They are barely an 1 1/2-2'' wide and no more than an inch high..

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I know for sure the Wal-Mart here still sells them..

They are barely an 1 1/2-2'' wide and no more than an inch high..

square? if i ever get some money i may have to have you send me a set, what do they cost?

CzEcHy
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM
15$, bulbs/wires/switch etc...

They work well for me, I'll snap a picture of them on against a wall if you want?

I like them because the small square design they have flows with the large headlight square housing.

And like I said, they have had them for over a year and I don't think they are going to remove them from the shelf anytime soon.

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
15$, bulbs/wires/switch etc...

They work well for me, I'll snap a picture of them on against a wall if you want?

I like them because the small square design they have flows with the large headlight square housing.

And like I said, they have had them for over a year and I don't think they are going to remove them from the shelf anytime soon.
well the reason I need them, is i'm going to use the lenses and reflectors to make the backup lights in the hatch taillight housings ,they will get LED backup light bulbs due to heat issues. They need a square or rectangle design to really fit the tails correctly as far as appearance

CzEcHy
07-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I tried taking some pictures but my g/f's 1100$ camera somehow can't pick up any of the light besides right in front of the car.. (Even tho they project such a wide beam I could find a needle in the grass next to my car with them on..)

Anyway they are a slight rectangle, more of a square, with a silver reflector in them and a presumably removable glass cover.

And from what I can tell the housings would be almost a perfect match to the white backup light plastic cover. (Maybe a slight bit short width but a perfect height.)

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I tried taking some pictures but my g/f's 1100$ camera somehow can't pick up any of the light besides right in front of the car.. (Even tho they project such a wide beam I could find a needle in the grass next to my car with them on..)

Anyway they are a slight rectangle, more of a square, with a silver reflector in them and a presumably removable glass cover.

And from what I can tell the housings would be almost a perfect match to the white backup light plastic cover. (Maybe a slight bit short width but a perfect height.)

well I'll machine an aluminum piece to fit in place of each original lens and machine each one to fit the light

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
do you know the brand name?

CzEcHy
07-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Ya they were Optronics.

Next time I go shopping I'll snag a picture of the model number off the box, I don't have my box anymore.

Like I said they, they are 15$ so pretty good price wise.

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I just found their catalog online

CzEcHy
07-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Good luck, last time I looked online they didn't have them.

lol

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Good luck, last time I looked online they didn't have them.

lol
the optronics catalog, not the wally world one

CzEcHy
07-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Ya that's what I meant, I looked on Optronics site and they didn't have them..

Anyway if you do decide you want them just calculate the shipping for me and the like what, 16$ with tax for the lights and I'll go grab them.

If you decide you want them, I'm sure you have time since they have been there for a while and constantly get restocked with new ones.