PDA

View Full Version : "cassette holder" swap

Ayeobe
06-30-2010, 09:10 PM
The new accord im getting will not have the "cassette holder", but i still have the old car sittin in the driveway with said part. I was wondering if you guys ever added it in. Im guessing at least one of you has, right? So is there anything to watch out for before i start taking stuff apart, or is it prety straight forward?

What im worried about right now is the shifter's leather cover. Is it clipped onto the peice from underneath? It dosnt seem to come off the shifter knob itself..

A18A
06-30-2010, 09:35 PM
i haven't done the swap myself, but it should be pretty straight forward, on the tape holder equipped car, there will be 3 screws on each side and it should come ooff. for the shift boot, around that chrome piece that goes to the gear knob, hold that, and yank it down (you will probably hit your hand on the console and swear a bit lol) but that's how you undo that from the gear knob, and the knob should just unscrew.

i think the dashboard will have a little bracket that screws into the bottom of it for the side screws in the tape holder console, might wanna swap that too

lol our avatars are almost the same

Ayeobe
06-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Haha they are almost the same. Thats cause its a damn good angle! lol.

Thanks for the tip. I was figureing the screws in the side of the tape holder were going into some kinda metal bracket lol. Thanks for the tips!

Also, im thinkin on swapping the HVAC controlls to an 87 stile on the 89. Again i have all the parts, but ive never done any work on an interior. I also doubt anyone's done this particular thing, but have you guys taken the dash apart? Im wondering if it would even bold into the 89.. or if im gona have to do more than just bolt it in.

carotman
07-01-2010, 05:18 AM
The HVAC controls on the 87 are the same as the 89. It's just that you have an Accord LX now.

gp02a0083
07-01-2010, 05:24 AM
take a look at my hatchie thread , i think i have pictures of the bracket and where it installs, there may be a dash support underneath which makes it difficult to take out and install the cassette surround

Ayeobe
07-01-2010, 07:43 AM
The HVAC controls on the 87 are the same as the 89. It's just that you have an Accord LX now.

My 87 is EX-i, and has a slider for the vent select. the 88/89's all have buttons for the vent select (at least on the ones ive seen, which hapen to also all have been EX-i)

And ill take a look at the hatch thread.

charliekuney
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I've gone back and forth between DX console (the one that doesn't have anything) and the upgraded console for the cassette holder and cup holder. There is one difference: cars that come with the upgraded console have a bar/bracket for the upper screws (which I think is what gp02a0083 is talking about). You don't need it, but it will lessen rattles and make it set in sturdier. As for the shift boot: drop it from the knob (just pull down hard), remove the knob, and the boot comes off with the front piece. If you want to swap the boot into the other console, it's just held in by four screws.

Let me know if that helps/makes sense/was what you were looking for/if you have any questions.

Ayeobe
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
That helps, thanks. I guess i'll find out what thats about when i get to taking it apart. Should be going to pick the car up tomorow. Hope the suspension and motor are in good shape.

mykwikcoupe
07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
That upper bracket swaps as well you just have to move it. I noticed mine didn't have it when I added my cup holders after charlie returned them.