PDA

View Full Version : Large clunking noise when I step on the brakes

helmut
07-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Every time I depress the brake pedal there is this large clunking sound. It only happens once. Other than this annoying sound the brakes function well. It has been doing this for several months and has not gotten any worse or better. What could be causing this?

nswst8
07-01-2010, 07:26 AM
You need to inspect the brake system visually. Compare one side to the other for anything that does not mirror the other.

There are to many components that a diagnosis is impossible without an inspection.

Sickest3G
07-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Check the radious rod/traction bar bolt that connects it to the front frame crossmember in front of the car and the bolts that connect to the lower control arm. Make sure that they are all tight. The front bolts can look like they're tight but it may not be. If its all tight then the radious/traction bar bushings (in the front) may need to be replaced so inspect them for damage.

stat1K
07-01-2010, 08:36 AM
^ i would go with something like this as my first guess, i would also go with something like the steering rack bushing being bad and possibly clunking.

gp02a0083
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
check the slider pin or pins depends if you have a 86-87 or an 88-89 for having this model for 6 years or so the pins get loose and wear. does it clunk when you also go in reverse?

charliekuney
07-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Is there something rolling around in your car? I heard the weirdest noise in my coupe for a week, then realized that a wrench was flying around in the spare tire area.

lostforawhile
07-01-2010, 05:15 PM
check the slider pin or pins depends if you have a 86-87 or an 88-89 for having this model for 6 years or so the pins get loose and wear. does it clunk when you also go in reverse?

you beat me to it, but thats a common reason, the rubber boots get torn on the caliper pins, the grease escapes, and they wear down, I was able to order the pins from Nappa, if they aren't rusted in place, they unscrew from the caliper bracket