PDA

View Full Version : Hatch Remodeling

Xaisk
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Im going to remodel the inside of my hatch.

Im going to remove the carpet that connects to the back of the rear seats with an X-acto knife. Then im going to take some precise measurements and some plywood about 1 inch thick and cut it into the exact shape of the floor of my hatch. Im going to make a little hole at the end near the farthest back point in the hatch for fingers to slide into to lift it. Near the back seats, im going to seperate the wood and put hinges on it. Im going to drill and bolt down the wood to the metal frame. That should allow my hatch to lift up and down leaving access to the spare tire port. Then Ill put some black carpet on the wood and nail it down around the edges of the wood.
What is the best way to put carpet down on wood? The carpet glue or nailing? I prefer nailing.

I recently aquired some subs and im going to use some extra wood and nail it down near the hinges vertically. Im going to cut out the holes for the subs then screw them into the wood. (all after black carpeting of course.)

Im hoping after I take measurements tommorow ill have enough room for the subs or im going to have to improvise.

Ill definatly post pics for you guys who are curious to see. Just gotta wait till after work. =( I hate work.

Im going to want you guys opinions on how it looks when its done.

One of the key things though, that bothers me, is the plastic edges of the hatch, like the panel the jack goes in. They are scratched up. Do you guys have any ways I can take them out and restore the texture to them like they were when they were new? Or will I have to replace them?

Xaisk
07-03-2010, 07:22 PM
So today I went and got the wood. I cut out the three pieces.
I must say my measurements were DAMN perfect. The pieces fit into the hatch really really well. Ive decided it would be wise to put in 2 blocks of wood underneath the hinges and wood for extra support. Im going to put them on the edges going horizontally so I can still take the spare out, but provide support.

Tommorow im going to get the carpet and hinges and piece it together. Then I will cut the vertical block for the Subs and put them in.

Ive decided im going to get more carpet and staple it into the plastic portions of the edges of the hatch to make the entire hatch area carpeted. I will have to cut it and staple it precisely at the areas of plastic that pop out but it will look great.

Im going to post pictures tommorow when its brighter and I have a bit more progress done. Promise.

lostforawhile
07-03-2010, 07:29 PM
if you look at my site I redid the entire inside of the hatch, it's best to use contact cement to hold the carpet to the wood, then you can stretch the edges, as far as the plastic, you can use red scotchbrite, (paint store) to scuff off the scratches, and scuff the plastic, then use krylon fusion as a color, or as a primer on the plastic, it sticks like glue, and makes a great base. email me if you need any help

Dr_Snooz
07-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a great project. My trunk always gets piled full of old transmissions, heavy tool boxes and various assorted car parts. The stock floor board doesn't hold up too well to that kind of abuse. I've been looking for a solution but so far, I've only added some cheesy reinforcements to the existing floor. It's a completely ham-handed fabrication of scrap lumber and screws that poke out the bottom. I'm so glad the carpet covers my lame-ness.

I'm anxious to see pics of your work.

Xaisk
07-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Haha sorry im a bit late. 4th of July party and fireworks ya know.

Here are the pics I promised.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=205051465&albumId=2138640

I think it is coming along VERY well. Tommorow I intend on putting the carpet and hinges on the wood portions to make it match the car again. I think my carpet might be a bit TOO black but its okay for now. I can remove and replace it with no big issue. That was an interesting idea Lost. Im wondering if it would look better to restore the plastic or do the carpet over all of it instead. I think the carpet would certainly be a bit more resistant to scuffing and I can easily replace that if it happens.

Im not to sure on how im going to do that.

Below the wood, you cant see it, but I cut out two pieces of wood and ran them from left to right. These were to add some addition support to the wood sitting and the lift hatch. I nailed the big flat top section to them and used wood glue to help keep it stiff. From the 2 support columns, I ran 2 smaller pieces of wood up and down, to help give support to the support beams. I have applied plenty of pressure and they seem very steady and supportive.

Im VERY eager to get up tommorow and install the carpet and the hinges, then begin work on my vertical piece for the subs to go in.

Ill keep you guys updated.

P.S. for anyone interested I can give you a general idea and maybe create some blueprints of my design. I still have the cardboard cutouts I created with my father and can transfer them to computer easy.

lostforawhile
07-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Haha sorry im a bit late. 4th of July party and fireworks ya know.

Here are the pics I promised.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=205051465&albumId=2138640

I think it is coming along VERY well. Tommorow I intend on putting the carpet and hinges on the wood portions to make it match the car again. I think my carpet might be a bit TOO black but its okay for now. I can remove and replace it with no big issue. That was an interesting idea Lost. Im wondering if it would look better to restore the plastic or do the carpet over all of it instead. I think the carpet would certainly be a bit more resistant to scuffing and I can easily replace that if it happens.

Im not to sure on how im going to do that.

Below the wood, you cant see it, but I cut out two pieces of wood and ran them from left to right. These were to add some addition support to the wood sitting and the lift hatch. I nailed the big flat top section to them and used wood glue to help keep it stiff. From the 2 support columns, I ran 2 smaller pieces of wood up and down, to help give support to the support beams. I have applied plenty of pressure and they seem very steady and supportive.

Im VERY eager to get up tommorow and install the carpet and the hinges, then begin work on my vertical piece for the subs to go in.

Ill keep you guys updated.

P.S. for anyone interested I can give you a general idea and maybe create some blueprints of my design. I still have the cardboard cutouts I created with my father and can transfer them to computer easy.
you'll never get the carpet to go around those compound curves, i had to make fiberglass caps, cut them into sections, then upholster the sections, look at my site, and look under the video game project

Xaisk
07-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Hm one last post before bed...

I dont plan on carpeting the entire wood top to bottom, I only plan on doing the visible portions. I already have that figured out. If I was to carpet the creases it would make the wood lift less.. lifty.

Im tired though and might not be catching what your trying to get at. Ill read again after I have my coffee tommorow.

Take it easy.

(edit) haha you were talking about the plastic parts on the sides right? My tired ass didnt comprehend that. Yours looks really great. Its exactly what I planned on doing. So what you are saying is to create fiberglass sections to replace the plastic ones? Then attach upholstry to it somehow?

How would I go about shaping fiberglass like that? Im still a fabrication noob.

lostforawhile
07-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Hm one last post before bed...

I dont plan on carpeting the entire wood top to bottom, I only plan on doing the visible portions. I already have that figured out. If I was to carpet the creases it would make the wood lift less.. lifty.

Im tired though and might not be catching what your trying to get at. Ill read again after I have my coffee tommorow.

Take it easy.

(edit) haha you were talking about the plastic parts on the sides right? My tired ass didnt comprehend that. Yours looks really great. Its exactly what I planned on doing. So what you are saying is to create fiberglass sections to replace the plastic ones? Then attach upholstry to it somehow?

How would I go about shaping fiberglass like that? Im still a fabrication noob.

the fiberglass is on top of the plastic pieces, then it's cut into sections and upholstered then put back on

Xaisk
07-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Well bad weather had kept me from working today. Constant rain ALL friggin day =(

Xaisk
07-06-2010, 01:25 PM
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Ok so I got off work today and the weather was more clear, on the verge of raining and storming but I can work on my car.

I got the carpet installed.

I am doing a trial run on staples. I hate the staples, and im going to try and hide them. If that doesnt work im just going to unstaple it and use rubber cement or some type of bondage.

It looks REALLY REALLY professional though.

The new pics are there. Tell me what you think.

Its very durable. It can support my 170 pound ass with no doubt.

I just need to make the vertical board for the subs and itll look GREAT.

2ndGenGuy
07-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah that does really look good. I did a similar project to my 2g, the photos aren't online anymore, but we did this in my friend's trunk. Wanted full access to the spare tire. It came out pretty well by cutting the carpeted pieces into smaller sections.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/jgturk/brians%20trunk/DSCN0649.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/jgturk/brians%20trunk/DSCN0657.jpg

This was done just by wrapping the edges, and stapling on the backside, and using adhesive on the front. In my car, I got some jute padding and put it between the wood and carpet for some extra sound deadening.

lostforawhile
07-06-2010, 01:40 PM
only thing I did different on the floor, was at the top,over the fuel pump, i used two pieces of wood, then glued the upholstery over them lined up, this gives a flip back access panel over the fuel pump openings

Xaisk
07-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Well. I thought about doing that with above the fuel pump and fuel sensor area.

But I decided I didnt really need to. I shouldnt have to access that area often and I can just pull that piece of wood out by lowering the back seats and pulling it out. I didnt nail that one in. It is just lying on top of the support beam.

I cant wait to get my sub area done so I can put them in. I have red and black subs that match the cars interior and exterior really well. Not to mention the new sound will be amazing :cheers:

(edit) I thought about stapling it under the the bottom, but I thought it might make it harder for the spare area to lift out. I dont suppose its such a big deal since I shouldnt have to do that.

I think the wood hatch underlays work ALOT better than the stock one. ~cough~ one of Honda's wierd ideas... Chunking cardboard in. I still love em to death though.

Dr_Snooz
07-06-2010, 07:26 PM
That's nice work Xaisk. Very professional. Well done!

lostforawhile
07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I have various electronic modules for the car down in the spare tire well, so I don't even have to lift the cover, i have a steel bar that is bolted to the steel hatch floor, and the wood floor sits on it, bar has a welded on nut, and a heavy bolt goes through the spare tire, and bolts it to the bar under the floor,so the spare tire sits on top,yet is securely bolted down. there's a round upholstered cover over the tire itself, center of the hold down bolt is threaded, and a smaller threaded rod holds on the cover. I can put stuff like jumper cables inside of the tire, since it's upside down, and there's another cover under the tire, that lifts off when the tire is out. I plan on putting a shelf over the electronics, to hold, tools, etc.

Xaisk
07-07-2010, 10:12 AM
That sounds pretty awesome lost. You should post some pics of it. The shelf would be pretty nice.

Thanks for the positive comments on the project you guys. Im really proud of it. it looks SO much better than before I changed it.

Xaisk
07-07-2010, 02:41 PM
UPDATE!!!

Well today I went out and cut/upholstried the board for my subs. I cut out the round holes pretty precisley and screwed them in. I used 8 L brackets to bracket the board in and its holding them firm and tight.
The subs arent wired in because I dont have a power amp. Im going to try and find out if just wiring them in place of my rear two speakers that dont work will make the subs work, but at a reduced level because of the lower power supply from the stereo. (hint hint: would like the answer) :naughty:

Heres what you guys are waiting for. It looks HOT.

Give me yalls inputs. Thanks!