PDA

View Full Version : clicking noise front left wheel when turning

accord1989
07-03-2010, 01:28 AM
everytime i turn right i get a clicking noise in the left hand front wheel, plus a thudding noise when on a rough road ??? also the front brakes are starting to sqweak ??? honda accord 1989 2.0l si

King Peetis
07-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Time for new half shafts. Your CV axle boot(s) are bad for whatever reason and the grease inside is either gone or contaminated. Nothing will fix the problem only replacement will do at this point. Look at your axles both inboard and outboard and inspect the boots for damage. Troubleshoot first then shotgun. ;)

nswst8
07-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Time for a CV shaft.

bryan42688
07-03-2010, 07:46 PM
is it a manual shift or an automatic i would defentally say start with the cv axel's both ofthem and if your car has a manual transmssion , unless you just replaced the clutch or know the history of it iwould start with replacing that , not that the clutch has anthing to do with the clicking its justgood practice and the axels can some time be a b*tch:rocket:

cubert
07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
is it a manual shift or an automatic i would defentally say start with the cv axel's both ofthem and if your car has a manual transmssion , unless you just replaced the clutch or know the history of it iwould start with replacing that , not that the clutch has anthing to do with the clicking its justgood practice and the axels can some time be a b*tch:rocket:

Im sorry, but what sense does it make to replace the clutch for no reason in particular?

Anyway, like the others have said, sounds like its time for an axle.

accord1989
07-04-2010, 01:15 AM
its auto and there is no grease in the left cv boot , there are no tears or leaks in it ? so wandering what the previous owner did there? or does grease just dry up?

Dr_Snooz
07-04-2010, 07:03 AM
If the boot is intact, how do you know there's no grease?

car6289
07-04-2010, 07:25 AM
No, grease usually does not dry up, as in evaporate or disappear. Grease can however separate in to a liquid and paste. Some agitation will put separated grease back to its proper consistency.

I'll guess the previous owner replaced the boot and forgot to install the grease that is usually supplied with the boot kit. If the boot has no cracks, tears or other openings there is no exit path for the grease to escape from the joint. If there was no grease installed in the joint; there is no reason for any to be there now.

King Peetis
07-04-2010, 07:56 AM
No, grease usually does not dry up, as in evaporate or disappear. Grease can however separate in to a liquid and paste. Some agitation will put separated grease back to its proper consistency.

I'll guess the previous owner replaced the boot and forgot to install the grease that is usually supplied with the boot kit. If the boot has no cracks, tears or other openings there is no exit path for the grease to escape from the joint. If there was no grease installed in the joint; there is no reason for any to be there now.

This is a strong possibility. Inspect the axle boots again and determine if the boots have an obvious seam for closure and hose type clamps (split boot repair kit) securing it . If so, then the boot was definitely a replacement and the previous owner most likely omitted the grease. The boots are installed on the axles when you buy them and there is no seam and the bands securing the boot are not adjustable. FYI, the longer you drive your car with this condition the more dangerous the situation becomes.

bryan42688
07-04-2010, 09:12 AM
just replace the axels and gofrom there , and the clutch is for insurance purposes