PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy handling

ab20000
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
So having been enjoying the Aerodeck for a few weeks I've had to face up to some minor probs. I find the ride is quite sloppy (for want of a better word) and doesn't feel overly composed around the bends. I have checked the shocks and no leaking so I'm trying to work out what it might be - is there anything that is prone to wear? I'm thinking bushes but hope not as these are always a pain to change.:sad2:

stat1K
07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
every bushing in the car i'm sure is destroyed and in need of replacing.

the rubber in the bushings is at least 21 years old at this point. You should replace the LCA bushings front and rear, the sway bar bushings front and rear, the rear trailing arm bushings, the strut bushings, and it's a good idea when doing this to replace the upper and lower ball joints as well. i would also check the steering rack for any type of play as the tie rod ends could be worn and also in need of replacing. this is something that is also recommended when doing bushings as the parts are already off the car making it kind of a why not type thing.

bushings aren't really a pain given the proper equipment, now if you are in an environment with moisture then yes, it can be a pain since rust is the enemy. and seeing is how you have an aerodeck you are most likely in europe making the rust woes all the more serious.

i did the entire front end all at once on my civic and i have to say it's not a bad job but i have a 20ton press. the front lower control arms were the worst to get out.

ab20000
07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks mate - I'm in the UK so it is a bit wet here. Do you get the bushes from Honda or is there somewhere better to source them from? Assuming not cheap for the whole lot?

There also seems to be some movement or the engine under load - engine mounts?

stat1K
07-06-2010, 06:05 PM
yeah if you're getting a lot of vibration it's pretty common for a mount to be bad. most common is the front mount on these cars.

as for the bushing i'm not sure what all works, i know that if you search lx-incredible 's responses in the suspension threads you'll find a lot of the information you need.

Bristol_Bug
07-22-2010, 08:03 AM
yeah if you're getting a lot of vibration it's pretty common for a mount to be bad. most common is the front mount on these cars.

as for the bushing i'm not sure what all works, i know that if you search lx-incredible 's responses in the suspension threads you'll find a lot of the information you need.

Hi AB, i've got an Aerodeck too, and I'm in the UK. Any photo's of yours? :)