PDA

View Full Version : installing an engine without a hoist

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
3gee related, whats the best way to go about installing a 3g engine without a hoist? is it possible to jack the car up extremely high slide the engine under then lower the car down ?, the engine and trans will be bolted together and my jack is not very big .
ive lifted an a20a out before without the head and trans on it and it was a huge PIA so doing it with a head and trans on it seems like it would be impossible and i dont really want to take the trans and head off of it ( means i have to buy gaskets and have to install the trans inside of the engine bay which is a pia!)

any ideas or comments will be appreciated .

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2010, 02:09 PM
btw i know it doesn't make any difference but its an 87 dx hatch.

labeledsk8r
07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
word of advise, cherry pickers arnt TO expensive, and alota people will buy them for a one time use and leave them sitting around, i have seen alota people post craigslist adds and rent them from poeple for a weekend for 10-20 bucks, this is much cheeper then buying a new spine from trying to manhandle a A20 into a car

russiankid
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I've slid an engine under an MR2 before just because it made life easier. However, the car had to be about 4 feet in the air to be able to slide it in without pulling a hernia.

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
word of advise, cherry pickers arnt TO expensive, and alota people will buy them for a one time use and leave them sitting around, i have seen alota people post craigslist adds and rent them from poeple for a weekend for 10-20 bucks, this is much cheeper then buying a new spine from trying to manhandle a A20 into a car
there expensive to buy and i have no way of getting one here using a 4g lol

I've slid an engine under an MR2 before just because it made life easier. However, the car had to be about 4 feet in the air to be able to slide it in without pulling a hernia.

true, im going to have to get some bricks and blocks of wood then to get my jack to get a 3g that high but should be doable!

labeledsk8r
07-07-2010, 03:28 PM
there expensive to buy and i have no way of getting one here using a 4g lol

true, im going to have to get some bricks and blocks of wood then to get my jack to get a 3g that high but should be doable!

didnt you read a word i wrote? i just said rent one for 10-20 lol alota people buy the foldable type wich are easly able to go in a trunk of a car, and hell some people will drop them off if there hurting for a few bucks bad enough

if you can get a chick to suck your dick for a 5 dollar rock of crack then im sure you can get a cherry picker rented for under 20

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
didnt you read a word i wrote? i just said rent one for 10-20 lol alota people buy the foldable type wich are easly able to go in a trunk of a car, and hell some people will drop them off if there hurting for a few bucks bad enough

if you can get a chick to suck your dick for a 5 dollar rock of crack then im sure you can get a cherry picker rented for under 20

LOL but yeah theres none on cl out here the downside about living in a small town with mostly old people

rc00netzero
07-07-2010, 03:34 PM
SAFETY WARNING: Use wood timbers - bricks or especially concrete blocks can crumble suddenly without any warning with terrible results :eek: (i.e. severe injury or death)

I always used to rent an engine crane when ready to pull or install and return it same day when done - pretty cheap that way.

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
thanks for the tip!

not sure if ill be getting the car yet if i do there will be a new thread for it posted tomorrow, if not at least i got some good advice for when change the 4th gens engine lol

2oodoor
07-07-2010, 04:24 PM
ive about had enough of the sig, im blocking your posts after this sorry...

you can get it in from underneath using floor jack and a 2x4 with a chain, car has to be up high enough to get the front crossmember what about 2.5 ft.. the ht of your engine and tranny at it's most narrow profile PLUS the floor jack.
also btw I wouldnt even attempt to do it either way with everything on it, just too much to shoe horn.

you can get a cherry picker in a 4G easy, dont your back seat fold down too?
they come apart in three sections, also most newer ones fold up anyway

VIPER1988
07-07-2010, 04:24 PM
i fit a cherry picker in my 3gee with the back seats folded down. if all else fails have like 4 friends come over (2 if they are really built) to lift the front of the car. its not that heavy without the engine and trans in it. me and my brother where able to do it with my parts car. we needed to move it and i couldnt find the keys to unlock the steering wheel

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
ive about had enough of the sig, im blocking your posts after this sorry...

you can get it in from underneath using floor jack and a 2x4 with a chain, car has to be up high enough to get the front crossmember what about 2.5 ft.. the ht of your engine and tranny at it's most narrow profile PLUS the floor jack.
also btw I wouldnt even attempt to do it either way with everything on it, just too much to shoe horn.

you can get a cherry picker in a 4G easy, dont your back seat fold down too?
they come apart in three sections, also most newer ones fold up anyway

lol why does the sig bother you?

and yeah ima take the intake manifold and shit off, so hopefully all goes well thanks for the tips about how high i need to jack it up

also the engine hoists for rent out here are the huge ones that have a trailer hitch thingy on them and 2 car back tires on them O.o so i doubt i could get that to fit in my 4g coupe

i fit a cherry picker in my 3gee with the back seats folded down. if all else fails have like 4 friends come over (2 if they are really built) to lift the front of the car. its not that heavy without the engine and trans in it. me and my brother where able to do it with my parts car. we needed to move it and i couldnt find the keys to unlock the steering wheel
haha dont have any buff friends and dont even know a total of 4 people out here LOL but yeah i can see most hoists fitting in the back of a 3g hatch but not really in my 4gee coupe

89T
07-07-2010, 05:13 PM
cause it's gay,. excuse me ghey.

chain hoist 4x4 and rafters in a garage.

Civic Accord Honda
07-07-2010, 05:38 PM
dont have a garage i has a dirt parking space lol..
and not getting it anytime soon he wants a grand for the car which i dont have right now

russiankid
07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
A grand for a non running 3gee? Damn...so I can sell mine for like 2500+ over there?

labeledsk8r
07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
a grand!!! HAAHHAHAAHAHHHAAH i woulda laughed in the fuckers face

A18A
07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
cause it's gay,. excuse me ghey.

chain hoist 4x4 and rafters in a garage.

:thumbup: my chain hoist & rafters in the garage are probably the most awesomest tools i have :D

nswst8
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
If you put the engine one piece at a time, engine block then the head, intake, exhaust manifold. Then throw the trans in. Easy day.

Otherwise pull the radiadtor, condenser, bumper, hood latch, push the power steering cooling line out of the way. And then have like 4 friends help you manuver it in place.