PDA

View Full Version : engine removal howto

doug
10-09-2002, 03:11 AM
nice pictures and a slick way to get it out, but you gotta be kidding when it comes time to install the unit back in the car. It would be so much less of a hassle to just remove the axles than
to try and guide them into the transmission as you lower the unit, unless you got two or three people doing the drop.

Immeraufdemhund
10-09-2002, 05:44 AM
it would be a bad idea doing an engine all by your self unless your rather skilled. Even if i knew what i was doing i think i'd have a couple people helping me due to the weight and details.

smufguy
10-09-2002, 06:45 AM
well the only slick way to get it out, is just getting it on a engine removal crane (with a crate in hand) and taking off all the engine and tranny mounts (which is the obvious). it aint a big deal to do it, to say u got a nice open space, smooth ground and good ppl with good technical knowledge and most of all Experience.

ACCORD EX
10-09-2002, 08:03 AM
you better thank him guys ! it's a very nice how to ! :super:

MIKE

YK86
10-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Your obviously free to do it whatever way you like but it was just a way to eliminate hassles. I always do it by myself and have no problems guiding it down using my method. I actually just did it yesterday since I just swapped trannies (old auto crapped out) and repainted the engine in the 88. From jacking up the engine/tranny off the ground to having it sitting on the chassis with just the passenger side axle reinstalled took about 20 minutes being very careful. You need to drop it down so it's close enough to get the axle end in on the passenger side (doesn't have to be all the way in, just to the point where it's about the "click". Then drop the whole thing down on to the mounts. You can leave the driver's side axle until after the engine is bolted down. Just make sure if you left the crossmember in, the axle doesn't get pinched between that and the oil pan. As for weight and stuff, use the properly rated chain and hoist and connect it to the lifting points.

smufguy
10-09-2002, 07:56 PM
that was a nice joke mike. :p. u just look at it and know how to take an engine out. Tune into Tnn on saturdays around 2 or 3. u will learn a lot of shit from those shows.

YK86
10-09-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
that was a nice joke mike. :p. u just look at it and know how to take an engine out.
???? Maybe I misunderstood but was that an indirect shot at the how-to?? Nowhere did I say you'll be able to take it out after reading it. That's why I said have a manual to guide you through the detailed parts. Writing all that stuff would take forever and you should have one anyways if you are going to be doing a job like that. I just wrote it to explain one way of pulling it out that I find to be way faster and easier than the way manuals tell you to do it just like with the alternator (removing it without taking out the axle). I'm sure a lot of people have their own "quick" methods for working on their 3rd gens too. I just thought I'd share mine.

ACCORD EX
10-10-2002, 01:06 AM
i know this how to isn't enough but i think he it's good to read someone's experience beacuase the manuals are sometimes very difficult to follow and don't answer some questions ! :)

MIKE

POS carb
10-10-2002, 05:28 AM
the day those TNN guys have a 3rd gen on the show is the day my a20 puts out 400 hp

doug
10-10-2002, 06:08 AM
YK86,
great howto, no doubt about that. but as it is it's a howto for experienced wizards on engine R&R. 80% of your audience is totally without skills, and if they try this at home they most likely
will break something.

Grant2k
10-10-2002, 08:19 AM
how to's are to give you an idea of what you are in for. if somebody thinks that they can take out and engine becasue they read a how to, but have no skills, they are stupid. i think that the how to's are great and are a good way to tell somebody not to attempt something just as much as they can guide you through easy things.

YK86
10-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Hmmm...I thought the part at the very beginning were I mentioned "it's a basic run down" and "having a manual is highly reccomended" would be enough of a warning to say this how to isn't supposed to be a guide for the actual removal but more of way explaining my method of doing it. Just like all the other how-to I and others have written, we assume whoever is going to use it has the skill and knowledge to do the job. But I feel that just because it's more for the advanced mechanic, doesn't mean it can't be in there. I will add a warning though to make it more clear if there was any misunderstanding.