PDA

View Full Version : False Floor Amp Rack

canadian357
07-11-2010, 08:49 AM
So I'm gonna start building a false floor with a built in amp rack today, and depending on what I can find for materials it will either have a mesh cover that would be painted flat black, or a plexi cover. This is probably lost's area of expertise so I need two things:

A) Extremely dumbed-down directions on how to wire 2 120mm PC fans off the same relay as my amp turn on wire (there are 2 amps if that makes a difference)

B) Any Canadian members, probably hash_man because he's closest, to drop some suggestions as to where I can get said relay (probably the source/radioshack I'm assuming) and some automotive carpet because I can't for the life of me find it anywhere.

1987lxi
07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Sweet. Post pics!

canadian357
07-11-2010, 11:41 AM
WOW plexiglass is so out of the question. $91 for a panel at home depot. Mesh it is!

89T
07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
napa should sell a bosh 5 pin relay. If not try a local parts store or better yet a stereo shop.
as you look at the relay.
******* - switched or constant 12v
*ground i - i amp trigger
******* i fans

the center pin is open.

canadian357
07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I'll try to pick one up tomorrow. I have like a half dozen of those underhood power window relays from fuse boxes, I don't suppose one of those would be appropriate, eh? Also, to power a series of LED's what should I be using as a power source? They have an inline switch, would the accessory line off of the ignition switch harness work?

Sabz5150
07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
I'll try to pick one up tomorrow. I have like a half dozen of those underhood power window relays from fuse boxes, I don't suppose one of those would be appropriate, eh? Also, to power a series of LED's what should I be using as a power source? They have an inline switch, would the accessory line off of the ignition switch harness work?

The relay schematic should be printed on those relays. That'll let you know if they are usable and how to connect them.

LEDs usually run from 5V or lower. Get a 5V voltage regulator (don't forget the heatsink!) to drop the juice to something useful. Toss a resistor between your LEDs and the regulator to make sure that they don't get hit by any stray overvoltage.

canadian357
07-11-2010, 09:03 PM
The LEDs are all set up for 12 volt application. They're those led strips from ebay.

These right here. http://cgi.ebay.ca/12V-24cm-Flexible-Red-PVC-24-18-LED-bulb-Strip-Car-LS25-/360276199015?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e2228667#ht_3234wt_1096

ghettogeddy
07-12-2010, 05:17 AM
the pc fans should also be 12v

i would actually go pick up a crappy pc power supply and run them off there so you dont have to fuck with relays and it will allow you to add a power inverter

A18A
07-12-2010, 05:57 AM
seems a bit silly getting a inverter & computer power supply to go from 12v to 110v/220v just to go back down to 12v again to run a couple fans. a relay setup will be simple, all you need is one SPST relay (which is exactly what those underhood fuse box relays are) and wire the pins up like this:

85 - amp remote wire
86 - ground
30 - +12V power
87 - fans

i don't see why you can't just wire the fans straight to the remote wires though without any relay :P

ghettogeddy
07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
seems a bit silly getting a inverter & computer power supply to go from 12v to 110v/220v just to go back down to 12v again to run a couple fans. a relay setup will be simple, all you need is one SPST relay (which is exactly what those underhood fuse box relays are) and wire the pins up like this:

85 - amp remote wire
86 - ground
30 - +12V power
87 - fans

i don't see why you can't just wire the fans straight to the remote wires though without any relay :P

cause its not enough amps or volts lol

AccordB20A
07-12-2010, 11:46 PM
relay is the way to go. a baby could figure it out

Ayeobe
07-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I cant wait till you start fabricating. I cant help you any more than these guys, even tho i like electricals. Im alot better with diagnosis as of now, than constructing a circut. Sounds like a sweet project sofar.

canadian357
07-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Man, it was pouring rain all day, and from the sounds of it again tomorrow. My garage is a nightmare or else I could be close to done. I got my plexi today, 33 bucks for a 2'x2' sheet of like .093 inches. Canada is expensive sometimes.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Plexi is damn expensive... great stuff but not cheap. Sorry I didn't chime in earlier, havent been on the forum lately.

As for relays, if you need to stop in at a local Autotemp or something, they should have relays, and automotive carpet to sell you. Otherwise any automotive upholstery shop should be able to get you carpet, but most audio shops will get it for you. Worst case scenario I have a friend who works at an Audio shop in Red deer who can hook you up.

As for fans and LEDs, IMO, we found at the old stereo shop I worked at, that cold cathode computer case lights were super bright, damn easy for install, and reliable for stereo installs. We used them as an alternative to getting custom neon tubes bent, as less and less shops wanted to do that for us. cheap and easy to get from NCIX.com out of vancouver.

Let me know if you need anything else

3ERDGEECARBHATCH
07-18-2010, 12:18 PM
As A18A said, you should be able to splice in and solder 12v leads from the output of your amp turn on relay. All Bosch SPDT relays are rated up to at least 30A and the combination of 2 fans and a 500ma deck output switched up to 12v should not pop the fuse that you have in line before the relay. (You do have a fuse in there right?)

Good luck and hope to see some pics!

Let me know if you need some Fabbing tips. I'd be happy to lend my 7 years.

canadian357
07-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Ugh work and the total PITA of running new lines combined with the shittiness of ebay/hong kong electronics has set me back a bit. Plus helping my friend bondo some cavalier door panels and wire some lights took some time too. Soon though! I hope I can at least cut the MDF before this weekend, I'm out at a cabin.