PDA

View Full Version : 87 honda accord dx a20a idleing high

kotty4643
07-11-2010, 09:03 PM
can some one help me out with a vacuum diagram for my accord it is idling high around 1500 rpm all the time and there are lines stopped up i know nothing about carbed Honda i just bought it for 700 i would like to get it running correctly so i can start on fixing up the out side and engine mods can any one help thanx

oh and i turned the idle ajusting screw all the way and it still idles the same and if you have any idea of what it could be please let me know

rc00netzero
07-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Not sure what you meant by "lines stopped up" but if you mean that it looks like the Vacuum lines have "messed with" by a previous owner - first step might be to take some pics of current arrangement (so you can get back to this if things go bad) Then - look for any damaged, stiff, cracked, or worn-out lines that need replacing. Replace them one at a time, and (if your hood is original to the car) also check them against the routing guide on the hood. If you have loose lines, use that guide to reconnect them. There is also a factory manual in this forum you can download and print that may help with both fixing lines an diagnosing the high idle. It includes vacuum diagrams if the one on your hood is missing/illegible - but you may have to do some comparisons to find the exact one for your engine.

Be careful about turning screws if you are not sure what you are doing - you might make things worse or introduce another problem (maybe one that shows up later). If you changed an adjustment and it didn't help, return it to original setting.

Oldblueaccord
07-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Make sure your throttle cable has some slack on it at idle. Some people think the cable sets the idle and it should not.

wp

kotty4643
07-23-2010, 12:08 AM
well all it was was the timing was off at the distributor but i broke the fuckig spark advance i think that's what it is its got to vacuum lines coming out of it and the long arm goes into the distributor and hooks to a knob does any one know what that is exactly

InAccordance
07-23-2010, 03:39 AM
the vacuum lines from the dizzy hooked up or not shouldnt make it idle any different... well other than the line that was hooked into it is now creating a vacuum leak >.>

kotty4643
02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
thanks and i feel like a moron it was the ignition coil all though i have ran in to new problems

charliekuney
02-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Two threads are unnecessary.