PDA

View Full Version : getting the alternator to charge.

booskilla
07-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Hello again everyone.

One more thing we are trying to figure out with our race car is getting the alt to charge the bat. Now it's a very simple plain setup. There is no wiring harness or anything. It is a strait setup. I have a cable going to the alt from the bat but i'm not sure what other wires are needed. There was a switch hooked up to it at one point to turn it off and on for when your just on a pace lap and then shut it off when your racing.

Does the alt have to be grouned in any way? i still have the factor plug that went into it and the wires coming out but not really sure what is needed and what is not.

Any help on this topic would be greatly apreciated.

A18A
07-16-2010, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about grounding it, the ground through the motor should be good enough. there should be 3 wires coming off your alternator (other than the charge wire going to the battery) I think they would be a black/yellow wire (ignition), white/blue wire (warning light), and the other one (can't remember the color, but since it's the only other wire, it will be a signal wire i believe) I'd wire the ignition & signal wire together & have them switched to the battery, like you said it had.

booskilla
07-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Thx for the info man. Been a huge help. My buddy was right about this being the best place to go for accords.

powerman96
07-17-2010, 02:59 PM
booskilla, where you running at ?

booskilla
07-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Island Speedway in Cape breton island NS canada. Just a little hobby. Still get to race and look cool at doin it lol:D

powerman96
07-17-2010, 09:23 PM
One of our cars is a 2nd gen prelude. We run a half mile asphalt track in N.C. called Ace speedway! Good luck!