PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mounted a 2nd antenna?

AC439
10-09-2002, 06:30 AM
Hi there!

I'd like to mount a 2nd antenna on my 86 LXi. This antenna is for a radio transceiver. I have been thinking different method to mount it but don't want to drill a hole nor using a magnetic mount (could damage paint). I'm thinking about maybe bumper mount or maybe a trunk lid mount. Anyone has a better suggestion for me please? Thanks.

smufguy
10-09-2002, 06:41 AM
Do those antenas come in the type of those cell phone reciever antenas that go on the rear window?

I aint a real fan of bumper mounted antennas (looks like a offroad or a military Jeep). So anyways. I would prefer a rear fender mounted antenna. If u dont wanna drill a hole, then u cant put it on ur turnk lid either. I would mount it in the fashion the 4th gen have their radio antennas.

just put some masking tape (the one used for painting) and drill it slowly. U need some siliocone sealer to seal off the base and a primer to put on the drilled surface cause u will be exposin bare metal. GOod luck buddy.

AC439
10-09-2002, 07:03 AM
Thanks. Those antennas are not the same as the cell phone windows mount antennas (although there is one design for that using capacitance coupling). I have also been thinking fender mount too. But drilling hole is still kind of scary to me.

CoAsTeR
10-09-2002, 03:45 PM
actually, I just hooked my CB up through my factory radio antenna and the match was purrrfect! :bow:

mind you, mounting a CB antenna on your accord would be kinda :gay: or maybe even :rice: but whatever turns ya on...

I would never have put the CB in if I couldn't have used that factory antenna.

smufguy
10-09-2002, 08:04 PM
u dont have to be scared of anythin man. why u dont trust urself? If u wanna do it, then do it. cause u will learn from it. measure good, see where everything goes and lines up. then drill it out. it aint hard bro. u cant learn from it if u dont do it. Like they say, the greatest risk is not taking one. so go on bro, do it. atleast u tried and did it.

AC439
10-10-2002, 02:24 PM
I'll consider the drilling method. I'll definitely do enough research first.

I'm not installing CB. I'm going to install a 2m/70cm amateur band antenna.

Thanks.

Mike Me-z
10-10-2002, 09:42 PM
why don't you just buy cds like everybody else?

smufguy
10-11-2002, 10:37 AM
u getting a power antenna right? radio shack has it for 50 bucks. or even pep boys MIGHT have em.

dXsquared
10-11-2002, 11:49 AM
mount it inside
Travis

Whitehonda
11-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Actually, before I got my car, my dad had it. He had a pretty cool setup for an antenna. He had a radio simular to a cb (only on a different band so he could talk to his friends in airplanes) Oh by the way, his hobby is being a pilot. Anyway, it was mounted on the lid of the trunk on the side facing the rear windshild. It was not a drilled one, and not a magnetic base either, it clamped on the lid much like a vice would on a bench. It worked very well and didn't look too bad. But I took it off as his radio was removed b/c I had no use for talking to airplanes. You could try a mount like that. Looks the best in my opinion.

j00tel
11-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Funny, I've too have been wondering how I could add a CB and/or scanner antenna to my various Hondas and keep them looking non-redneck.

Having a CB in your car is the hot shit, for those of you who do not know. A good solution to those not-so-attractive looking CB radios is perhaps using an amateur radio 10m transceiver (this is what I'm thinking of doing).

CB > radar detector

73's :)

--Dan

dosh8er
11-12-2002, 10:27 AM
WHAT?!? CB?? Citizen's Band radio.

Last I checked, I heard that police freq. run at a higher level than a CB. (hence the 900 mhz garbage)

:rolleyes:

Ah, rednecks.

Whitehonda
11-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Yeah, It's ture. you can't transmit on a police frequency. I used to work at a place that did 2 way radio stuff for most of the police/fire dept. in my area. They have there own designated freq. range that they talk on. No CB or other radio is allowed to transmit on those freq. , however you can listen, hence the scanner. A CB/scanner just lacks the "crystal" to produce the freq. to transmit on police channels.