PDA

View Full Version : pcv valve goes to?

booskilla
07-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey guys. Hope all is well with everyone.

I have a question about the pcv valve. I'm running a 88 accord motor with a carb and I'm running it with the bare min vacume lines ect.

I had a problem with the motor blowing oil filters off. Pretty much would blow the seal. I checked the pcv and it was looped back into the intake. Now I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to loop back into there. Needless to say the pcv was not in the best of shape so oi did get a new one.

Anyone have any idea on where I can send the pcv too or can I just leaVe it vent????

Again any info will help. Thx.

import racer
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
It's supposed to loop back in to the intake,make sure the seal where it goes is in good shape because they tend to get brittle and fall to pieces.

booskilla
07-19-2010, 07:39 AM
is it also possiable to have the hose coming from there going back to the hose that comes out of the top of the valve cover?

i'll have to get some pictures of the setup i have going. ya'll never saw redneck till ya see this setup lol.

A18A
07-19-2010, 07:49 AM
i don't see why you can't just stick little air filters/breathers coming off the black box under the manifold and do away with the pcv. someone more experienced than myself may chime in with a reason not to though :P

lostforawhile
07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
i don't see why you can't just stick little air filters/breathers coming off the black box under the manifold and do away with the pcv. someone more experienced than myself may chime in with a reason not to though :P

because you need that controlled vacuum to pull blowby vapors out of the crankcase, if they just sit in there and stagnate, all that moisture from the blowby, combines with the acids in the combustion byproducts, and it forms an acidic sludge. I wish I had a picture of a car with a road draft tube, which was before pcv, to show you the gunked on mess with the oil pan off. PCV was the best invention ever made as far as keeping the oil nice and clean. forget thinking about it as emissions, it stops your engine from sludging up inside. These cars has an excellent PCV system, there was an aftermarket system made for Honda's without a pcv system, looked just like our system, it cost over 500 bucks .

booskilla
07-19-2010, 09:47 AM
:thumbup:

I looked it up in my manual and i just hooked it back up to where it was supposed to go. Started the car up and it actually runs a bit better now. Idles good after hooking up the proper vacum lines and it stopped spitting out oil filters. So all is good there.

One more thing to try and figure out is after the car warms up it start to loose power. Not sure if the pcv getting bad would cause this or not or the fact i never had the alt hooked up. It was running on strait battery.

But trial and error and a little help from you guys we whould be good to go pretty soon.

lostforawhile
07-19-2010, 11:29 AM
:thumbup:

I looked it up in my manual and i just hooked it back up to where it was supposed to go. Started the car up and it actually runs a bit better now. Idles good after hooking up the proper vacum lines and it stopped spitting out oil filters. So all is good there.

One more thing to try and figure out is after the car warms up it start to loose power. Not sure if the pcv getting bad would cause this or not or the fact i never had the alt hooked up. It was running on strait battery.

But trial and error and a little help from you guys we whould be good to go pretty soon.

what do you mean spitting out oil filters? the filter on the back of the engine? if it is, what kind of filter are you using, and if they are splitting, you have an issue with the pressure bleed off valve on the oil filter base.

booskilla
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
not really blowing it off. it was twisting the oil filter seal. PCV valve fixed the problem though. Had it running a bit today and all seems good.

lostforawhile
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
not really blowing it off. it was twisting the oil filter seal. PCV valve fixed the problem though. Had it running a bit today and all seems good.

the pcv valve was twisting the oil filter seal, how in the world?

booskilla
07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Well i quess the pressure was building up and something had to go. I'm just glad it wasen't a crank seal or something. But it was just twisting the seal. When i first noticed it the oil filter was not even tight. It was able to twist it self off a bit.

lostforawhile
07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Well i quess the pressure was building up and something had to go. I'm just glad it wasen't a crank seal or something. But it was just twisting the seal. When i first noticed it the oil filter was not even tight. It was able to twist it self off a bit.

the pressure in the crankcase has nothing to do with oil pressure, if you have oil pressure seals going , you need to do a pressure check of your system ASAP, before you wash out a bearing or something. There is a valve on the side of the oil filter housing, it keeps the oil pressure from going too high, if it sticks closed, which often happens on older engines, you can blow off oil filters, blow out seals, and do all kinds of damage. the oil pumps is an engine driven hydraulic pump, without that pressure relief valve operating, you can generate hundreds of pounds of oil pressure. That valve is what regulates the pressure. Oil pressure is created when oil is pumped into specific gaps such as the cam, and the main bearings, as long as they aren't worn enough to prevent pressure buildup, the volume of oil trying to escape those gaps, is what creates pressure. under normal conditions, the oil pump can provide much more volume, and thus create much higher pressure then the engine needs, that spring loaded valve will open and the excess oil volume will return to the pan, thus regulating the pressure. often that valve, which is a slide valve, will stick in the closed position, when this happens bad thing follow. it's not hard to fix, you need to remove the oil filter, remove the oil pressure warning light sender, it unscrews from the top of the oil filter housing, then unbolt the 10mm bolts holding the housing to the engine. once it's off, you will see a hex head plug on the side of the housing, you unscrew this housing, and the valve and spring should come out, be VERY care to note how everything goes together. you may find that valve is stuck down in there, if it is, you may be able to soak the entire thing in solvent, if you can't get it loose, you can probably buy a housing from someone on here. before you even start this, order the oil filter base gasket from Honda, that's the only place to get it. before you put the housing back together, you need to make sure everything is super clean. if the valve has varnish on it, get some crocus cloth and polish it, then clean it, and reassemble. you HAVE to torque the housing back on properly, or you will probably get leaks, the torque is critical. once the housing is back on, reinstall the sender, then put on a new oil filter.

Dr_Snooz
07-19-2010, 08:13 PM
You want to make sure the valve doesn't have any scoring and that it slides freely in the housing.

Also, you need to start a build thread about what you're doing. It sounds interesting and all the gear heads on here want to know.

booskilla
07-20-2010, 02:08 AM
That does sound like a plan.

How to turn your car into a stock car for racing lol. Very kewl.

Dr_Snooz
07-21-2010, 08:38 PM
That does sound like a plan.

How to turn your car into a stock car for racing lol. Very kewl.

I'm subscribed. ;)