PDA

View Full Version : stock cam specs

InAccordance
07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
so I've come to discover that finding stock cam specs for a20s isnt too easy... I know the repair manual had em in it but ive lost the one I had. I'm trying to find out the difference between carb and FI cams, which I would presume there is.
I've got this spanking new stock FI cam just sitting around i'd love to put in the head i'm having worked on but I'm running carb, anyone know offhand the differences between the two?

rjudgey
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Nothing that would make much difference. You need to get a regrind with more duration and lift to get any sort of gain but if the engine is stock this is the last area you should be looking at upgrading.

InAccordance
07-20-2010, 03:31 AM
well im mainly just wanting to know the difference between em. I had purchased the FI cam to get sent off to get reground for my prelude cause what I had in it at the time was too much for it, but that car was totalled :(
what i'm going for is a mild engine rebuild... things like shaving about 1mm off the head, smoothing rough edges inside the chambers, valve job, weber 32/26 and headers. nothing too crazy... just give it a kick
If the FI and carb cams are fairly similar then i'll just have the FI one sent to get reground... what are opinions on the colt triflow? anyone got one and can share thoughts about it?

cygnus x-1
07-20-2010, 09:27 AM
well im mainly just wanting to know the difference between em. I had purchased the FI cam to get sent off to get reground for my prelude cause what I had in it at the time was too much for it, but that car was totalled :(
what i'm going for is a mild engine rebuild... things like shaving about 1mm off the head, smoothing rough edges inside the chambers, valve job, weber 32/26 and headers. nothing too crazy... just give it a kick
If the FI and carb cams are fairly similar then i'll just have the FI one sent to get reground... what are opinions on the colt triflow? anyone got one and can share thoughts about it?

There isn't enough difference between the carb/FI cams to really matter. I would send in the one that has the best looking bearing journals. Also check if any of the lobes have deep grooves in them. Deep grooves are not so good.

I have a stage 1 Colt triflow and it's ok. If you have a mostly stock engine that needs to pass emissions it would be a good choice. It's pretty conservative compared to the other regrinds. If you don't have emissions testing then go with a stage 1 Webcam or Delta 272 if funds are limited. Those will still have a smooth idle and good low end torque.

C|

InAccordance
07-20-2010, 11:08 AM
yea, i dont have emissions here so thats not a problem.
I have heard good things about the delta so i'll call them up and see what they have to say.
the FI cam i have has never been used so that's the one i'd be sending off.

MessyHonda
07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
yeah the delta 272 will be plenty for a slightly moded engine...

InAccordance
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
now since im keeping mine auto, any thoughts on preferred cams with an auto trans in mind?

and thanks to all for the replies :)

Oldblueaccord
07-22-2010, 07:09 AM
There's a cam chart in the performance section i think. Look under smeado as the screen name i think. He has about 6 cams charted.

wp

EDIT: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70052

InAccordance
07-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Thanks oldblueaccord
and a shoutout to you as well from johnson city, TN :thumbup: