PDA

View Full Version : A/C problems! help, I'm dying with out it in AZ

HONDA TEEJ
07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
My AC has stopped working.
I left for a vacation for about a month and when I got back into the car to drive it the A/C wasn't working.
I dont even think it's turning on because when i push the AC button nothing happens. Usually the RPMS would dip down a little or you could definitely notice that it turned on. It blows air but its hot.

I've checked for blown fuses and found nothing.
I've also looked through the little inspection window and I don't see any bubbles. so i'm guessing it has freeon. But i don't even think its turning on properly.
It worked PERFECTLY before I left, it was extremely cold.
Please help its really hot here and I have to start delivering chinese food again tomorrow. haha

nswst8
07-19-2010, 06:51 PM
There are alot of threads about this subject, use the search feature to locate them they will be a great deal of info on this subject.

9shorty20
07-19-2010, 07:01 PM
compressor perhaps

InAccordance
07-20-2010, 03:41 AM
wuts a/c? :hsugh:

(and no i dont literally mean what does a/c stand for)

nswst8
07-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Depress the schrader valve to see if any freon is left in the system or jump the low pressure switch on the reciever/drier

Oldblueaccord
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Does the AC button light up and the front fans come on? That tells you if you have power to everything. Also the blower must be on as well for it to come on.

If the system runs low on freon it won't let the compressor come on so not to damage the system.

wp

HONDA TEEJ
07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Does the AC button light up and the front fans come on? That tells you if you have power to everything. Also the blower must be on as well for it to come on.

If the system runs low on freon it won't let the compressor come on so not to damage the system.

wp

thanks, this turned out to be the solution.
I had no idea that the compressor turns off when its low on freeon. thats pretty cool.
my mechanic says theres a leak at my compressor.
He refilled it with freeon and its been blowing cold ever since.
hopefully it lasts me throughout the summer.
thanks

MessyHonda
07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
thats good that you got it working

ShyBoyCA6
07-24-2010, 12:52 PM
hmm wish my ac blew ice cold air but doesnt feel cold like my sis car or my mom's cars...

ecogabriel
07-24-2010, 01:50 PM
thanks, this turned out to be the solution.
I had no idea that the compressor turns off when its low on freeon. thats pretty cool.
my mechanic says theres a leak at my compressor.
He refilled it with freeon and its been blowing cold ever since.
hopefully it lasts me throughout the summer.
thanks

Next time you have to refill it have him add some dye together with the freon so you can pinpoint where the leaks are.
Do not overlook the shrader valves; they leak and may make useless an otherwise working A/C system. My 5G civic had a leak that I could not find (even with dye) until I discovered that the valves were leaking -the dye was on the threads of the plastic caps) I replaced both -one came apart so it was an additional PITA to get it out- but not it seems to be holding OK; with a partial charge (14 oz. out of 21-23 total... run out of cans) I can drive the car with 95F right now, 103F heat index in ATL humidity (not TOO humid today though)

The valves are inexpensive so get them replaced when you fix the other leak. :idea: The ones in my 3G seem to hold OK so far (knock on wood...)