PDA

View Full Version : LED wiring

canadian357
07-25-2010, 10:36 AM
So, I have 4 of these wired into my car for floor lighting accents on a switch (just bought them for shits and giggles)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/24cm-Car-Red-24-LED-Neon-Flexible-PVC-Strip-Light-/400139023964?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2a24f65c#ht_1425wt_752

My power wire is tapped off of my constant +12v radio wire. For some reason though, I keep popping the number 13 under dash fuse when I connect them to the switch. Any ideas?

88lxi-shortram
07-25-2010, 07:09 PM
bigger fuse maybe? even though they say use only the factory reccomended it wont hurt

Shilo
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I believe when you wire up LEDs you need to use a resistor, most of the LEDs on eBay have them built into the wiring but I'm not sure on that one. I wouldn't use a bigger fuse. It's blowing for a reason, and while a bigger fuse would temporally solve the problem, it will get hot and melt into your fuse box and you will have to pry and pull at it to get it back out........... I know from experience :D.

lostforawhile
07-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I believe when you wire up LEDs you need to use a resistor, most of the LEDs on eBay have them built into the wiring but I'm not sure on that one. I wouldn't use a bigger fuse. It's blowing for a reason, and while a bigger fuse would temporally solve the problem, it will get hot and melt into your fuse box and you will have to pry and pull at it to get it back out........... I know from experience :D.

those should already have the resistor in there, they are set up to be ready to install, one of them probably has a short, they are 99 cents each, how good do you think the quality is? and to the person who suggested a bigger fuse, are you nuts? you don't put a bigger fuse in a circuit, then what it's designed for. unless you want a car-becue. even all four of those, they should pull such a small amount of current, they shouldn't affect the circuit. those lights probably have hair thin wires, anything cheap from china is going to have very small wiring, the wires are probably shorted to each other

Shilo
07-25-2010, 10:22 PM
you don't put a bigger fuse in a circuit, then what it's designed for. unless you want a car-becue

A .22 bullet makes a good replacement for those old round glass fuses ;).

canadian357
07-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah the wire is 24 gauge lol. Thats pretty much the solution I've hit lost, there has to be a short somewhere. I'm using double coated 18ga speaker wire (white surround on black and red wires with a nylon cord-what most electronics stores use for car demos) to run the lines to a common ground and power and I know thats all good because I'm even using shielded connectors.