PDA

View Full Version : trying to delete evap system

pimpin301
07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
so i was trying to take the alternator off on my 87 p messing some evap/vacuum hoses up here and there,i got most of them back on and shes runnin relativly good but someone told me they had the same carburated 87 and they deleted the evap system completly and it ran even better,any ideas on how to do that lol.
any help would be appreciated,what do ya think?

Ichiban
07-25-2010, 05:38 PM
so i was trying to take the alternator off on my 87 p messing some evap/vacuum hoses up here and there,i got most of them back on and shes runnin relativly good but someone told me they had the same carburated 87 and they deleted the evap system completly and it ran even better,any ideas on how to do that lol.
any help would be appreciated,what do ya think?

I think not. The EVAP system itself only consists of the charcoal canister, a line from the fuel tank, and a purge valve running to ported vacuum. It keeps your car from reeking like gas anytime the vapour in the tank has nowhere else to go, which is, well, always. Getting rid of it is kind of braindead, in my opinion.

On the other hand, eliminating redundant or non-required emissions systems that are probably failing can be a good idea, provided you don't have to smog your car. You need to be sure of what system you are disabling and how to do it properly. Since your car still seems to run right, I wouldn't bother. Why fix what isn't broken?

Finally, all of the emissions lines have numbers on them, and the bottom of your hood should have a VECI sticker, which is a roadmap for all those stupid hoses. Unless somebody already pressure washed it off. You should be able to figure it out between the numbers and the sticker, I'd just reconnect the hoses you unplugged and not worry about it.

2ndGenGuy
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
They're highly pressure washer resistant. At least our overcomplicated USDM models. I have done mine about 5000 times. Still looks like brand new.

Shilo
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't remove the evap system if I was you. I took the charcoal canister off my 1976 Chevy Nova to free up some space under the hood, and if I don't leave the gas cap loose I can hear a loud whistling noise coming from the vent in the tank on a hot day :naughty: