PDA

View Full Version : Clean your battery terminals!!!

Shilo
07-25-2010, 09:55 PM
When I first got my Accord, the battery terminals where pretty corroded. Well, I forgot to clean them off. After I got my new exhaust on I decided to start it up to see what it sounded like. When I turned the key to the start position my car developed a mind of its own :flash:. The starter just clicked, the tach pegged and started moving on its own, the headlights kept opening and closing by themselves (out of sync to top it off). Instead of killing my zombie Honda before it could infect my other cars :gun:, I remembered I forgot to clean the battery terminals. I cleaned them up with a wire brush and some engine degreaser till they were nice and shinny. Problem solved :thumbup:. I wish I had it on camera though.

Ayeobe
07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Woww what the hell? That woulda been awesome on film. Thanks for the reminder, btw. I need to get the bigger batt in, and clean the terminals.

lostforawhile
07-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Woww what the hell? That woulda been awesome on film. Thanks for the reminder, btw. I need to get the bigger batt in, and clean the terminals.

the low voltage causes problems with all of the electronics.

Civic Accord Honda
07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
the day i buy a car i install new grounds and new battery cables to prevent any such things from happening

Ayeobe
07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Im rollin with the batt that came in the car, from a civic. I want to put a bigger one in, like i think it should have. And im deffenetly gona clean the terminals...

lostforawhile
07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Im rollin with the batt that came in the car, from a civic. I want to put a bigger one in, like i think it should have. And im deffenetly gona clean the terminals...

it depends on how much extra load, as in the stereo etc you've added, these cars originally came with a very small battery. the battery does nothing but smooth out the voltage and start the car, the car actually runs off of the alternator.

Ayeobe
07-25-2010, 10:12 PM
I could use some extra voltage smoothing. When i put the signal lights on, i notice the dash lights dim as the green lights flash on. (thats at night with the radio off, fan at 2, and all lights on)

lostforawhile
07-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I could use some extra voltage smoothing. When i put the signal lights on, i notice the dash lights dim as the green lights flash on. (that's at night with the radio off, fan at 2, and all lights on)

that's a ground issue not a battery issue, the battery keeps the voltage from spiking from the alternator, with no load it can generate pretty high voltage. that's why you don't disconnect the battery with the engine running.

Ayeobe
07-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Theres white shit on my ground terminal. Guess ill clean it, huh? Ill do that tomorow, then.

Civic Accord Honda
07-26-2010, 12:34 AM
ground, postive cable, or alternator issue for sure

InAccordance
07-26-2010, 01:41 PM
should set up that situation again and video it, id love to see the headlights popping up and down out of sync, that'd be hilarious

i should setup some switches to make them do that... :rofl::rofl:

and its funny this thread comes up, went to tstart it other morning and it clicked once and no power at all, ended up being the terminals caked in shit, thank god it was just that cause ive been through 1 altenator and 2 volt regs with this thing.

SZfiftyfour
07-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Back when I had a 3G, I had that happen while I was driving. I was messing around with it one day and forgot to tighten the negative terminal all the way before I drove off. Once it started working its way loose everything was cutting on/off in rapid succession. Add radio, fuel pump, and dash lights to the above symptoms while moving about 40mph. Crazy car.

Btw you can do that to the lights by clicking the headlight button really fast. Dont know what the ramifications of this are though. Wouldn't recommend it.

Shilo
07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
should set up that situation again and video it, id love to see the headlights popping up and down out of sync, that'd be hilarious

i should setup some switches to make them do that... :rofl::rofl:

and its funny this thread comes up, went to tstart it other morning and it clicked once and no power at all, ended up being the terminals caked in shit, thank god it was just that cause ive been through 1 altenator and 2 volt regs with this thing.

I found this video on youtube a few days ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp5Qi3iYsa8&videos=Oh9maL-KMu8. I just tried it with my parts LX-i and it wouldn't do it :burn:, but that's what my other Accord did when I tried to turn the key. Would be pretty cool to be able to do that on command, could really freak people out at night :thumbup:.

InAccordance
07-26-2010, 03:32 PM
that's fucking great!
doesnt seem like it would be too hard to wire up, just some switches and wiring
then you can wink at people ~.^ -.- ^.~ ^.^

Ayeobe
07-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Haha nice. Yeah, my 87 did it, when i pressed the button real fast but my 89 dosnt. Odd eh?

Shilo
07-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Haha nice. Yeah, my 87 did it, when i pressed the button real fast but my 89 dosnt. Odd eh?

Must be a sensor or something to keep the motors synced that the older years didn't have?

gtmst3
07-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Must be a sensor or something to keep the motors synced that the older years didn't have?

idk cuz my 89 does that one actually lifts up faster than the other and i can make them wink if i want

Shilo
07-27-2010, 01:24 PM
idk cuz my 89 does that one actually lifts up faster than the other and i can make them wink if i want

Maybe mine is just too good, I'll have to try it on my other 89 later. I want to wink at people dammit ;).

lostforawhile
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM

they all have the same motors and same control module, one motor is probably in better condition then the other is all. the linkage might need some white lithium grease at the pivots also

Ayeobe
07-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Update on the terminal thing. I went to losten the negative terminal, and just like the civic, it just popped off with the forse i was using to keep it on the nut. I didnt even get to losten yet. The stock terminals kinda suck! I put a new terminal on, and the dimming is fixed. Its also good and tight now. Thank god i didnt drive down to the US withought the "clean" i did! might have lost the neg. and had some prety big issues.

thornbird
08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Haha, for sh1ts and giggles you could easily wire one light up to a switch in the cabin and mess with people on the road.