PDA

View Full Version : how to remove coil spring with out compressor

beran24
07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
so i was just reading about this online and im not sure if it will work on the accords or not. But i changed a rear sturt on the civic today and it worked. I know ppl say its dangerous but anyway.....

place the jack under the control arm and jack it up to compress the spring. Then remove the bottom bolt holding the strut to the control arm. Then go in the trunk and lossen off the nut that holds the strut to the strut mount. If the whole thing turns there should be a flat piece on the top of threaded rod hold that with vice grips and then turn the nut off with an open ended wrench. Once nut is off lower the jack. Spring will decompress but strut may still be jammed on the control arm so just give a tug down on it and strut and spring should fall and the mount will still be bolted in the car.

Not saying this is safe so try at your own risk

Vinny
07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Why not just rent a compressor from an autoparts store? Much safer and you get the deposit back when you return it

fogged
07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
I see some poor noob taking a trip to the ER with this method. I wouldnt do it.

AccordB20A
07-26-2010, 09:54 PM
rear springs have fuck all compressuion in them so undoing the top hat is sweet, fronts are pretty nasty to undo lol aim it the right way and be careful and you will be sweet.

2ndGenGuy
07-26-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-set-3980.html

$10 - and they work fine on a double-wishbone Honda suspension. Used it multiple times. Less chance of putting a spring through your skull.

ACE_14
07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
$10? That's pretty cheap! I'm gonna have to go get those so I can put my Koni's in.

A18A
07-27-2010, 12:19 AM
just undo the nut on top before jacking up the car

InAccordance
07-27-2010, 11:27 AM
i do admit it is pretty funny having a spring go shooting off a strut :kekeke:

Shilo
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
i do admit it is pretty funny having a spring go shooting off a strut :kekeke:

Funny until it goes through your face :beat: lol.

beran24
07-27-2010, 07:44 PM
really if its still wedged between the control arm and the mount its not gonna go to far

fogged
07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-set-3980.html

$10 - and they work fine on a double-wishbone Honda suspension. Used it multiple times. Less chance of putting a spring through your skull.

Im gonna have to pick this up and add it to the tool box.

Legend_master
07-28-2010, 06:22 AM
I use to do this two ways.

first way was jacking up the car, running a thick metal wire from the top of the spring to the bottem on both sides. Then I would lower the car down (to compress the spring), at that point I would tighten the wire and lock it in place. Then jack the car back up and the wire would keep the spring compressed.
Second method was to remove the entire strut, and spring assembly. Lay it in the grass, and stand on the spring (spring only), then hit the top bolt with an air ratchet. The compressed spring would de-compress in both directions, and barely move.

Both methods could be considered dangerous, and considering the cheap price of that spring compressor not very necessary. But if you have to get the job done asap, and don't have $15.00, those are some options.

import racer
07-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah I've done it by using the wire,It works but takes time.I've also done it with my foot on the spring and impact gun.It's a little faster.But putting it back together with the weight of the car to compress it shouldn't be to bad.

Accordtheory
08-17-2010, 09:44 PM
I use to do this two ways.

first way was jacking up the car, running a thick metal wire from the top of the spring to the bottem on both sides. Then I would lower the car down (to compress the spring), at that point I would tighten the wire and lock it in place. Then jack the car back up and the wire would keep the spring compressed.
Second method was to remove the entire strut, and spring assembly. Lay it in the grass, and stand on the spring (spring only), then hit the top bolt with an air ratchet. The compressed spring would de-compress in both directions, and barely move.

Both methods could be considered dangerous, and considering the cheap price of that spring compressor not very necessary. But if you have to get the job done asap, and don't have $15.00, those are some options.

Those are not the best 3 methods! You're making it Way harder than it has to be. What is wrong with what A18 said, "just undo the nut on the top before jacking up the car"? To you guys talking about the spring flying off somehow, you need to work on your vizualization skills, (or try working on your actual car, lol) because that is not possible using the technique described.

Accordtheory
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
place the jack under the control arm and jack it up to compress the spring. Then remove the bottom bolt holding the strut to the control arm.

Uhh..if you're referring to the bolt I think you're referring to, I wouldn't remove it under spring tension, (wtf?) I'd wait until the tension was released..