PDA

View Full Version : car stalls when IDLE

LXI Kid
07-26-2010, 11:53 PM
hello everyone im new to this forum and i wasn't able to find anything similar to my problem and im sorta new to fixing cars so please try to explain so a 17yr old can understand, anyways i just got a Honda accord LXI from a friend and well it has been driving just fine for over 3-4 months but lately it would just stall whenever it is IN gear however if i put it into N it stays running depending on its mood ^_^. and lately whenever i am going up hill and the engine is sorta straining sometimes i smell like something is burning. and there is a slight noise as if there is some small object in the engine something similar to a clicking noise but a bit softer whenever im going up hill or going over 30-40mph. sorry if this is something really stupid but if you guys can help me that would be great.

Dr_Snooz
07-27-2010, 05:26 AM
The clicking noise is probably pinging. Check your timing and be sure to use premium gas. The stalling could be a lot of things. Most likely the fuel system is dirty, so again, use premium gas and run a can of injector cleaner through. The burning smell is probably oil. The engine oil seals all like to start leaking on these so look into replacing them.

LXI Kid
07-27-2010, 02:33 PM
well also i noticed when i go up the hill white smoke comes from my exhaust when the engine is straining. and i checked all my fluids and it seems to be working a bit better but the smoke is a bit worrying any ideas?

import racer
07-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Head Gasket Blown Maybe.

Shilo
07-29-2010, 08:12 AM
well also i noticed when i go up the hill white smoke comes from my exhaust when the engine is straining. and i checked all my fluids and it seems to be working a bit better but the smoke is a bit worrying any ideas?

I'd defiantly check into the possibility of a blown head gasket. Make sure the engine is cold, make sure the radiator is full, remove the radiator cap, start the car, and rev it a little bit. Look and see if it bubbles up.

LXI Kid
08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
well ive tried what u said shilo and so far i didnt see anything weird or out of the ordinary other then the fact of a high level of anti-freeze, but thats because my dad over filled it a bit. otherwise it didnt bubble up or anything