PDA

View Full Version : replacing a hard line...

Tdurr
07-28-2010, 02:47 PM
okay so today i had a small electrical fire and it caught the brake line on fire too and there is now a hole in it...

Its the line from the prop valve going to the body of the car. How much of a bitch are those to replace? its leaking right under the prop valve... im thinking of going ghetto and getting some of the make it urself line and cut it and just replacing the section thats leaking... lmk...:crying:

2oodoor
07-28-2010, 04:21 PM
sounds like there was a lil ghetto going on there already?
Nothing wrong with a homemade line as long as it is proper ferrel fittings or real flare nuts and steel line.
They sell the line stock at most good parts houses just for that purpose, replacing rusted lines and such .. or where people wire tie stereo amp wires and such to brake lines, or use a brake line to ground something..

stat1K
07-29-2010, 04:53 AM
lol, so the electrical fire caused the hole or the hole cause the break fluid to leak and ignite?

replacing a line isn't hard, you could probably find the line at the junkyard if you didn't want to do it yourself.

2drSE-i
07-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Im betting the leaky line caused the fire personally.

A18A
07-29-2010, 06:45 AM
i didnt even know brake fluid was flammable lol

2oodoor
07-29-2010, 07:17 AM
i didnt even know brake fluid was flammable lol

DOT 3 average flashpoint is around 250 degrees

stat1K
07-29-2010, 08:25 AM
i think you mean the wet boiling point is near 250 for dot3... that's not an indication of it's flammability just when it will start to boil. brake fluid is flammable but not explosive flammable like gasoline. it's a slow burn, almost like if you've ever used a REAL lantern with fuel oil.

it can be a pain to put out i can tell you that ha! but with a persistent leak and heat source combined with a spark from some wiring or even if you started a small electrical fire near it, it would burn.

2oodoor
07-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Flashpoint is the temperature at which the fumes and substance could ignite if given a source of ignition, such as an exhaust pipe or glowing red under fused wire, or spark.

It is not unusual, well it is:rolleyes: , but brakes can catch on fire just from extreme use. It would be around the caliper and attached hoses though.
MSDS data...
Appearance: Liquid. Amber.
Odor: Mild Odor.
Boiling Point/Boiling Range: >210 °C (> 410° F) @ 760 mm Hg
Freezing Point/ Melting Point: -50 °C (-58 °F)
Flash Point: 121 °C (249.8 °F) PMCC
Auto-Ignition: 310 °C (590 °F)
Flammability: OSHA/NFPA Class IIIB combustible liquid.
Relative Density: 1.05
Solubility (Water): Soluble in water

stat1K
07-29-2010, 10:17 AM
i thought you were talking about this number

Dry boiling point Wet boiling point
DOT 3 205 °C (401 °F) 140 °C (284 °F)

didn't realize the flashpoint was that low, either way with an ignition source like a spark or an electrical fire would definitely cause brake fluid to burn, lol.

gp02a0083
07-29-2010, 10:24 AM
nice roodoo for looking at the MSDS , most people dont think of it , i always look at it now b/c of my chemistry background. what also can affect the boiling point of the brake fluid is how much water is absorbed (hence never use a old bottle that was not sealed up right) adding water can lower the boiling point of the fluid and if i remember brake fluid is very very hydroscopic / hydrophillic. i haven't looked at it but the DOT5 or 6 i really dont kjnow what number there up to now , but a consideration is switching over to a brake fluid that is silicone based, it def would not have the same flammability issues with normal brake fluid.

oh and just to edit here the flash point of most volatile fluids is misunderstood by most people. simply put you alllways have a vapor layer on top of a liquid , this is what makes gas very flammable, same probably goes with brake fluid

Tdurr
07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Im betting the leaky line caused the fire personally.

might be. but regardless is a long ass line. from the top left of the prop valve to where ever.... i dono what caliper it goes to.

and ghetto wireing? not really, i solder and crimp all my shit pretty well esp with my computer background. shit its prob an aftereffect of all the damn oil i still have in my engine bay.

2oodoor
07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
LOL didn't see anything about ghetto wiring, but hey the wooden hood prop ?
Hopefully you get the line resolved soon, as well as the cause of the mishap.

stat1K
07-29-2010, 11:43 AM
you said no ghetto but then you said crimp... hmmm.

Tdurr
07-29-2010, 11:48 AM
hey my hood prop is cool okay! rofl

and crimping aint ghetto. the twisties are ghetto hahaha

stat1K
07-29-2010, 12:15 PM
if you say so.

LX-incredible
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
If used one of these:
http://www.continentaltrade.com.au/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/CrimpTool.jpg
Your crimps are ghetto.

Tdurr
07-29-2010, 09:12 PM
ehh well i guess they are ghetto by you. ive seen some fully built rides using those.

and us usually gauges im using those for haha.