PDA

View Full Version : RMS question

Xaisk
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I know I keep posting a bunch of questions but bear with me please.

I have a 50 RMS watt Head Unit.

Would that be enough to power 2 100 RMS speakers?

Xaisk
07-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Erm... no need to answer. haha my head is 50W RMS x 4. Only gunna be using 2 channels so its good. DELETE THIS POST!

canadian357
07-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Your HU won't be 50W x 4 RMS. Its more like 12-17 watts RMS. Its pretty much always a peak rating on aftermarket decks. Buuuuttt, you will be ok running your speakers off of it. All of our speaker demos at work aren't amplified, and half of those speakers have been on display for around a year or so. They still sound ok (at least the ones that little kids don't jam their thumbs into). You won't kill speakers by underpowering them.

One of the biggest pluses to an amp though, aside from volume, is the tunable, cleaner sound you'll get. Look into getting one.

Xaisk
07-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I already have an amp, but im going to use it for the rear end of my car. Id have to get a second amp to power the front speakers. I might get a second one just for the front end, but I wont be getting a super expensive one, just one with enough wattage to run them clearly. It all depends on how it sounds.

Im going remove the stock speaker wiring and add in my own with higher quality wire. I think new lines to the speakers will cause the sound quality to improve the most. :rofl:

canadian357
08-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Good call.

Word of advice - it sucks fat nuts running speaker wire for the passenger door. At least it does on a sedan.

Edit - Power Acoustik amps ftw. Stupid cheap, and they aren't actually that bad. They're no Audison or Focal, but they do the trick for us poor folk.