PDA

View Full Version : ran, but now its dead

InAccordance
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
so i put the weber on today, did everything the way it's supposed to be done, linkage is set, fuel lines, etc etc....
fired it up and it ran perfect... for 3 minutes or so
sputtered a bit and died, tried to start it again, fired, but died right away.
now, wont even fire... just cranks
it's getting fuel, there are zero vacuum leaks, it's not flooding, plugs are clean, took top hat off and float seems fine, moves freely... had cleaned the carb when i got it.
am seriously at a loss here... bugs the shit out of me cause it fired up and ran beautifully, but now it wont do a damn thing :burn:

2ndGenGuy
07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Did you try some starting fluid to see if it will run off that?

InAccordance
07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
wooo, it ran for 20 seconds... then flooded, doh!
fuxxored float it seems

2ndGenGuy
07-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Might be leaky then it sounds like. New ones are cheap anyways.

InAccordance
07-30-2010, 03:46 PM
false alarm! ITS ALIVE!!!!
man this thing has one hell of a suck.
pics soon once i get TV cable hooked up

InAccordance
07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
from what i could tell it was the float that was bad... mostly out of adjustment, so i screwed around with it and got it set to what appears to be an acceptable level.... its running a bit rich so it would need more adjustment, but personally i'd rather take it running rich than screw with it more and make it worse.
I'll be getting a new float for it but at least it runs fairly well barring the secondary jet being too large.
typical carb tinkering incoming....

itzdave
07-30-2010, 06:06 PM
dont forget to hook up a fuel pressure regulator and gauge... webers run on lower PSI, and some adjustable fuel pressure regulators arent too acurate, so get a gauge that will help out with it. i keep mine around 3-3.5 psi.

InAccordance
07-30-2010, 07:49 PM
it's doing well without it at the moment, but i have one on the way snail mail

it's rather nice to be able to pass uphill again :thumbup: