PDA

View Full Version : georgia help crew?

88lxi-shortram
08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
ok i wouldnt call this a meet but im pulling an engine for the first time in my life...EVER... i was tryin to see if i could get any georgia members to get together with me and help me and teach me a few things about pulling an engine

lostforawhile
08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
If I had a way to get there I would come up and help:sad2:

88lxi-shortram
08-02-2010, 07:20 AM
... dam its to bad man because honestly you were one of the people i was hoping would be down here... youve helped me alot though and thats what counts

lostforawhile
08-02-2010, 07:28 AM
... dam its to bad man because honestly you were one of the people i was hoping would be down here... youve helped me alot though and thats what counts

my car isn't even running right now, the Civic has a tore up transmission.

88lxi-shortram
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
whats in the civic a d15?

lostforawhile
08-02-2010, 08:17 AM
whats in the civic a d15?

I think, it's the 1.6 litre non vtec, I don't really get much into it, it's slow as crap and an automatic, my wife can't drive a stick. I call it the ugly green slug. I'm pretty sure it's the linear shift solenoid valve on the tranny, stupid 200 dollar valve. it's a 98 four door

88lxi-shortram
08-02-2010, 09:06 AM
i did research and i think its a d16 and if its not that valve i have a buddy who has a tranny for it... maybe he would let it go for cheap if you needed it

lostforawhile
08-02-2010, 09:33 AM
i did research and i think its a d16 and if its not that valve i have a buddy who has a tranny for it... maybe he would let it go for cheap if you needed it

thanks, yea we may need one, my feet are messed up and this walking sucks

88lxi-shortram
08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
if u need it jus ask for it and ill see what i can do..... but where in GA do you live?

lostforawhile
08-02-2010, 12:18 PM
if u need it jus ask for it and ill see what i can do..... but where in GA do you live?

Moultrie, yea see what he wants, i'll scrounge up the money guy at the tranny shop said even if i fix it it;s a matter of time on these, the wet clutches disintigrate and the material clogs everything

88lxi-shortram
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM
allright im going to call him tonight but if you can can try to the exact engine code so i can make sure you get exactly what you need.. im almost positive it is but i want to make sure

Civic Accord Honda
08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
D16y7, any automatic trans from 92-00 should work as far as i recall

88lxi-shortram
08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
ok cuz his is from a 97 i think... somewhere in that range. and its the kind of civic you have so tomoro im going to make some calls

lostforawhile
08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
D16y7, any automatic trans from 92-00 should work as far as i recall

97 i think will work,earlier ones the electronics are different

88lxi-shortram
08-03-2010, 03:56 AM
ok like i said im going to make some calls and see what i can do... hell if i get your car running i might be able to get a little help down here lol

lostforawhile
08-03-2010, 05:27 AM
I'll have to figure out some logistics, it's probably going to be a few weeks, let me know on the transmission and I'll figure out something. with this being laid off, working, being laid off crap, I'm kind of on a limited budget.

2oodoor
08-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Moultrie, yea see what he wants, i'll scrounge up the money guy at the tranny shop said even if i fix it it;s a matter of time on these, the wet clutches disintigrate and the material clogs everything

now that is a glass half empty perspective on life :uh:

lostforawhile
08-03-2010, 06:57 AM
now that is a glass half empty perspective on life :uh:

they aren't the greatest automatics in the world, he said they get them all the time with the same problem, the Honda quality has really gone downhill

88lxi-shortram
08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
ok i dont think itll be more than 200 though im almost positive on that

88lxi-shortram
08-04-2010, 08:04 AM
well it turns out he sold it for 350 about 2 weeks ago but he said he thinks he knows where he can get one so idk well see what happens

88lxi-shortram
08-04-2010, 06:59 PM
ok well i made a few more call and nobody has 1, but there is hope.... i have some cambodian friends i havent talked to for a while but they buy civics and swap out all the time... they MAY have one but thats about all i got dude, hope for the best

mushroom_toy
08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I had to hack up that exhaust unfortunately...but im gonna be moving and clearing out a lot of stuff, I have a carbed exhaust manifold, intake manifold with stage 4 vac removal on stock carb, etc. Just let me know if you need anything and ill probably be giving it away.

2oodoor
08-05-2010, 04:11 PM
ok i dont think itll be more than 200 though im almost positive on that

if it were me, and this civic is as raggedy, hated, abused, neglected and money still owed on it as stated I wouldnt put another dime in it. For a couple hundred bucks you could find another car worth investing in and "worthy" of TLC:rant:

88lxi-shortram
08-05-2010, 04:53 PM
its cool on the exhaust done worry... if i have to ill run open headers lol but hell since youre moving move down here and be my neighbor. that would be badass dude... turn the neighborhood into a 3geez paradise

mushroom_toy
08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Were actually moving two houses down the street lol, but were down-sizing so i gotta get rid of a lot of my stuff.

ecogabriel
08-06-2010, 04:00 PM
if it were me, and this civic is as raggedy, hated, abused, neglected and money still owed on it as stated I wouldnt put another dime in it. For a couple hundred bucks you could find another car worth investing in and "worthy" of TLC:rant:

That sounds about right until you consider the irregular work flow (and $) that lost is going through :banghead:
It is like Murphy's law: when one has enough problems then more problems pop up...
Too bad he cannot do a 5-speed conversion

lostforawhile
08-06-2010, 04:43 PM
That sounds about right until you consider the irregular work flow (and $) that lost is going through :banghead:
It is like Murphy's law: when one has enough problems then more problems pop up...
Too bad he cannot do a 5-speed conversion

I would, but she has to drive the car a lot of times, they have one just like it at the yard, with a blown engine, and a five speed, Ray said he would sell everything I would need for around 150, but with her leg, she can't properly operate the clutch. I'm stuck fixing this POS, if he would just get a sedan with the proper interior, and body panels, I could make it look decent at least. I got the hood off of the coupe with the five speed. I need the fender, but it's sunk at least a foot in mud. no way to get it out. I'm going to keep searching for a transmission, then fix the dam thing. Once it's paid off, I can get something else, and part this one out. I can probably make as much on parts as what I ended up paying for it. It's probably going to be the end of this month before I can much anyway, right now I can't even afford groceries let alone a transmission, at least I've been working. I also rolled over ten years, and now have over 90 hours in vacation. no more no unemployment check every 7th week

ecogabriel
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
I would, but she has to drive the car a lot of times, they have one just like it at the yard, with a blown engine, and a five speed, Ray said he would sell everything I would need for around 150, but with her leg, she can't properly operate the clutch. I'm stuck fixing this POS, if he would just get a sedan with the proper interior, and body panels, I could make it look decent at least. I got the hood off of the coupe with the five speed. I need the fender, but it's sunk at least a foot in mud. no way to get it out. I'm going to keep searching for a transmission, then fix the dam thing. Once it's paid off, I can get something else, and part this one out. I can probably make as much on parts as what I ended up paying for it. It's probably going to be the end of this month before I can much anyway, right now I can't even afford groceries let alone a transmission, at least I've been working. I also rolled over ten years, and now have over 90 hours in vacation. no more no unemployment check every 7th week

I knew that you could not do the swap even if you have liked it. Let's hope they will keep you working; that is the only way you may leave this succession of one problem after another, after another, and...

lostforawhile
08-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I knew that you could not do the swap even if you have liked it. Let's hope they will keep you working; that is the only way you may leave this succession of one problem after another, after another, and...

it wouldn't be a bad car with a five speed, but it'sgoing to have to be an auto, i downloaded the transmission service manual, and this transmission has as many parts as the space shuttle, way too much complexity, no wonder they fail all the time

Civic Accord Honda
08-06-2010, 09:56 PM
i dont see to many fail on d-series... some people have like 250hp engines with them and there doing fine...

now the 3gee on the other hand blows up transmissions under stock hp all the time.. lol

A18A
08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
a car that's manual and can be driven by at least one of you > a car that's auto and cant be driven at all

Civic Accord Honda
08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
a car that's manual and can be driven by at least one of you > a car that's auto and cant be driven at all

GOD HAS SPOKEN!

5speed swap or
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6p7uzdwv41qaaa5bo1_500.jpg

ecogabriel
08-07-2010, 05:24 AM
I like the way the civic drives with a stick trans. Of course, the D15B7 is far from a powerhouse but gets the job done and with little use of gas -a must for a DD. I cannot believe the transmission shifts fine even after 213K miles.
If you end up rebuilding that auto I would suggest giving it extra cooling via an extra radiator; that may help a bit.

lostforawhile
08-07-2010, 05:45 AM
i wouldn't even want to attemp to rebuild this disaster, after talking to the person at Jacksons here he said the main problem is the wet clutch linings start to fail andd all that mess circulates through the entire system

ecogabriel
08-07-2010, 02:39 PM
i wouldn't even want to attemp to rebuild this disaster, after talking to the person at Jacksons here he said the main problem is the wet clutch linings start to fail andd all that mess circulates through the entire system

If I remember right :confused: the first problem you reported on the car (last 3 months?) was the blown water pump. Then one axle came off, and now the transmission quit... don't know wtf to say...

88lxi-shortram
08-07-2010, 02:58 PM
well i hate to be the one to spread bad news but nobody i know has one. i really wanted to help and ill keep my ears open for any but as of now ive come out dry... and as far as money goes if you need an extra buck or two after you get it running ill be willing to pay you to come out and swap the motor for me. not only will you get some extra cash but ill get one hell of a learning expierience

lostforawhile
08-07-2010, 03:49 PM
well i hate to be the one to spread bad news but nobody i know has one. i really wanted to help and ill keep my ears open for any but as of now ive come out dry... and as far as money goes if you need an extra buck or two after you get it running ill be willing to pay you to come out and swap the motor for me. not only will you get some extra cash but ill get one hell of a learning expierience

I wish I could help you, I enjoy doing that sort of stuff, just a bad situation right at the moment, my wifes niece has also died, I'm going to try and find the valve for this tranny and see if i can get it running in the mean time. I will feel better if I can find a low mileage tranny. pick a part in Tallahassee only has one 98 civic and it's been there for five months, so it's probably pretty well stripped. I got a remote oil filter adapter, and i'll add an extra cooler, hopefully that will help cool it off,

2oodoor
08-07-2010, 04:34 PM

well, frankly this would be a common demise of any automatic transmission:thumbup:
weak application of the drum and these clutches don't have enough force against them , thus start slipping. Once you have an automatic tranny that starts slipping literely slipping, they are pretty much done. Any number of other problems with them such as not shifting, or kinda sliding into gear, or delayed enguagment can possibly be repaired without complete overhaul.
So IMO the guy was just telling you the truth but only half of it.
Shift controls, solenoids, wiring problems and things like that are common bugs on Hondas of that generation.
I dunno Lost, you have nothing to lose by attempting to learn the automatic since its already broke. Not like its big Detroit steel and a back breaker to R&R to experiment... like most tranny techs have had to do at some point.
I had a Chevy truck with a 454 big block and I R&R bitchy hydormatics, both a turbo 350 and a 400 each a half dozen times, in the dirt, with no lift. PITA but boy was it fun to drive afterwards every time.

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2010, 05:09 PM
aren't there any auto dismantles out there? the ones were they pull the parts off the cars them self and keep them in storage? we got a transmission for our old subaru when its transmission granaded , was only $250 and $150 for a mobile mechanic to install it,

trans worked perfect and even handled all the abuse it got from me learning how to drive when i was 12 lol even came with a warranty

lostforawhile
08-07-2010, 05:35 PM
aren't there any auto dismantles out there? the ones were they pull the parts off the cars them self and keep them in storage? we got a transmission for our old subaru when its transmission granaded , was only $250 and $150 for a mobile mechanic to install it,

trans worked perfect and even handled all the abuse it got from me learning how to drive when i was 12 lol even came with a warranty

there isn't one local, we have a yard but he never gets these cars. the problem is they are high demand parts, so they often get parted out and the parts sold off. dismantlers get them and they often never even hit the yards. I've checked all the u pull it yards and the only one that even had one, the civic had been there for five months, so was probably stripped, they even keep the shells lots of times, for collision parts. body sections on this style of car pull high dollar

ecogabriel
08-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I went to the pullapart yards here in ATL (3 of them) and it was difficult to get parts for those 6G Civics. First, not a whole lot of them are in the yards at least compared with the 5Gs like mine. Second, once they hit the yard are dismantled at full speed; engine heads and transmissions are the first to go. I was trying to get a cluster and a temperature sender for him a while ago and the only thing I saw was a manual A20 transmission inside of a 97 civic. It loooked fine from the outside but the linkage was gone...
My bet is that if he can get a service manual he can rebuild that transmission; the skills are already there. Probably he has a lot more going on though...

lostforawhile
08-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I went to the pullapart yards here in ATL (3 of them) and it was difficult to get parts for those 6G Civics. First, not a whole lot of them are in the yards at least compared with the 5Gs like mine. Second, once they hit the yard are dismantled at full speed; engine heads and transmissions are the first to go. I was trying to get a cluster and a temperature sender for him a while ago and the only thing I saw was a manual A20 transmission inside of a 97 civic. It loooked fine from the outside but the linkage was gone...
My bet is that if he can get a service manual he can rebuild that transmission; the skills are already there. Probably he has a lot more going on though...

yea the parts are so in demand a lot of times, they don't even crush the shells, I know the yard here has two stripped shells, they cut off a section of body as the body shop needs it.

lostforawhile
08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm going to try and pull that solenoid tonight, this is the first time in a long time my foot is not killing me, you have to work at night, the average heat index here has been around 105, it's rained nearly every night for the last week though. It's so hot, you work for 15 minutes, then go inside and sit under the fan for an hour

2oodoor
08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm going to try and pull that solenoid tonight, this is the first time in a long time my foot is not killing me, you have to work at night, the average heat index here has been around 105, it's rained nearly every night for the last week though. It's so hot, you work for 15 minutes, then go inside and sit under the fan for an hour

sounds better! I know thats right about the heat, wholly crap just to walk outside and move a box, and sweep up a bit turns into a major ordeal and a change of clothes. Does no good to have totally soaked shirt and underwear and go try to do anything else at all. :beer:
I really do hope we get some milder weather really soon. Hydrate!

lostforawhile
08-08-2010, 03:58 PM
it's just too hot to do anything, and my health isn't doing too well, I keep trying to do a little at a time on my car also, I have to work on stuff inside, it's impossible to work out there. I have a ton of stuff ready to go on my car, including the entire new dash, but there's no way i'm going out there when the thermometer in there reads 110. I don't have the cash to finish the engine right now, but i can at least finish the inside. once the dash comes out, the new heater core can go in, and the new dash, and I can work backwards from there. no point in doing too much right now, when i'll have to undo it.

lostforawhile
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I took this picture after being out in the garage just a few minutes, it was actually cooler then http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4021460.jpg

ecogabriel
08-10-2010, 10:14 AM
I had to finish replacing my car's hoses; yes, those two that go under the intake manifold that everybody curses on...

Yeah, I cursed too!!! Weather was OK when I started (8:00AM) but by the time I went to NAPA for a couple of things the temperature was bad already. I finished half an hour ago putting everything back together checking for leaks and whatnot.
Weather is 94 and heat index or whatever is 98... I am exhausted... I'd better eat something and then get a shower and maybe a nap in the bathtub???

On the positive side, except for the water pump (replaced by the previous owner) everything but the heater core and the heater valve -all the hoses and radiator- has been replaced. Thermostat was replaced a while ago, and same for all the temperature sensors/sender/switches... So I am tired and overheated but satisfied